Alfa Romeo Forum banner

How much soot build up do you see on your QV exhaust tips.

• I don’t clean them, don’t pay attention. Get a life.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A fair bit. About the same as OP gets regularly

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Very little - about what OP saw lately. MY21 onwards.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Very little - about what OP saw lately. MY17-20.

• Other. Comment in thread.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Stelvio QV my20
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much exhaust tip soot is normal in QV? What do people who clean them see?
I clean my tips regularly. For those who gave up - I tried YouTube, chemicals, polishes, elbow grease, then went through everything in my car stuff box - magic eraser sponge is the best hands down and it rinses well afterwards, though it is destroyed after 2-3uses depending on how hard you press it.

I’m trying to see what contributes to build up.

I never rev past 3k until I see 3bars on temp gauge and would go into D or Race pretty much straight after trying to get as many of max rev upshifts as I can in the rest of the trip - to get a proper engine exercise I need a special detour through my local NSL twisties.

I tend to clean every couple of months though it usually is a mess after about a month.
I tend to see build up about the same on both “quiet” and “loud” tips so it is not cold starts or high rev (upshift farts) exclusive.

Last time I cleaned was just before Xmas - it was a tough one only a month after previous clean. I blame it on BP ultimate fill up I had during fuel shortage two tanks ago - I am otherwise v power. Since then my battery monitor shows 22 trips of which at least 15 would be far enough between to count as cold starts. I only had one proper engine exercise in that time (10+ full rev upshifts in under 5min). I was quite shocked to see today that aside from road spray I wiped with paper towel there is but a sprinkling of soot on the “loud” pipes at 4o’clock.
Goggles Vision care Eyewear Automotive tire Headgear

that made me think that perhaps it is not normal to have regular heavy build up and wonder what makes the difference.
I will try ethanol-free esso 99 after this tank runs down to see if that does smth but I am quite intrigued to see so little on my typical v power on this cycle so perhaps it’s smth else.
I’m keen to hear from people who see little build up on pre MY21 GPF cars as I imagine those will be a lot less.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
8,315 Posts
Hmm....not something I would worry about as long as its not looking like a diesel exhaust!.....don't forget that about 87% of the petrol you burn is carbon...which is black in its base state. No matter how clean your car burns and how good your cats are a certain percentage of that carbon will be coming out of the tailpipe.......the black soot collecting on exhaust tips is mainly comprised of hydrocarbons, which is a normal byproduct of the combustion cycle on a carbon fuelled vehicle. I usually spray paint the insides of my tailpaipes mat black so its does not show.....looks much better that the patchiness caused by exhaust smuts and protects it from the rust that tends to form as it looks like it is in one of yours.....its not like you can polish them to a mirror finish anyway.

·
Registered
Stelvio QV my20
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it burnt perfectly all I’d expect all the hydrogen would end up in water and all the carbon in CO2 so we’d see water, CO2 and NO2 from the nitrogen in the air all of which are clear (not clean mind) gases. I thought hydrocarbons are a sign of incomplete burn. Sometimes it could be oil seeping, could be not enough air or some other reason it burns too rich. I accept farts and burbling is spitting fuel into exhaust which will not burn well but then it should only be on race tips.
I accept it will happen just curious to see how much people see and what people who see very little do different.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,235 Posts
Soot on the tips especially with valves open when most the exhaust gases are bypassed from the rear silencer, is normal and present in every Quadrifoglio that I have seen. Your tips looks far cleaner than mine and I too drive with valves open (AHM controller). It gets harder to clean as the car gets older as the chrome on the exhaust tips starts pitting if you look closely. I have polished with Autosol metal cleaner and it takes some elbow grease to get all the black discolouration off but not the pitting. A more recent product I have discovered is Cornos Decarbonizer, search it. Otherwise between cleans, I wipe the tips every few days with ............... wait for it..................................................'baby wipes'!

·
4,235 Posts
Oh and, I see more on the Outer (valves Open) tips than the inner but the inner ones still have soot build up, just a bit less. I have been using Esso 99 for the last few weeks and did not see any notable difference. Will have to look more carefully over a longer period.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
1,047 Posts
I use Gyeon Metal Polsih and yellow exhaust polishing sponge. The combo works very good and its quick&easy to use.

However, previous owner did not clean them, so the chrome layer got damaged and corroded, so maybe I will get the tips cut off and weld on some new ones, sometime in the future. Also, I prefer the finnish of the layer under the chrome; its brushed/matte stainless steel. But getting all the chorme off while not damaging the stainless steel would probably be hard to achieve.

·
Registered
Stelvio QV my20
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine seem to have pitted from new a bit - I noticed when I first cleaned them. I was worried at first. But that never got worse. I wonder if they still cure the chrome layer when they are new.
I think I will start cleaning fortnightly to see if I can spot what makes things better/worse.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A second vote here for autosol, one tube will last a lifetime. Keeps em looking their best but good to keep on top of the buildup else your elbows will need greasing.

·
Registered
Stelvio QV my20
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For me it wasn’t even close. It does a good job on my golf clubs and does seem to last forever but stubborn carbons on the tips magic eraser sponge blows it out of the water.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
1,047 Posts
How are in this regard MY21-22 models with GPF?

I'm gonna say something unpopular now around internal combustion engine enthusiast circles. 😅 If I wouldn't know what to do with my money, I would add a GPF to my exhaust, while at the same time buy stupendously expensive downpipes with 200 cell HJS cats (like Redstar or Fabspeed). That way I would keep the sound, and have clean exhaust tips at the same time. :D

P. S. I really hate cleaning soot once per week. I know its a 5 min job, but still hate doing it.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Its quite abrasive though....so dont rub too hard.

Reactions: m&ms

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Short of not starting it or welding up the exhaust Id say its an inevitable affect of burning fossil fuels in a oily engine!!

·
4,235 Posts
So my21 still soots up with GPF and all?
That looks very clean for not being cleaned in 7 months! Mine will soot up within a few days if I drive with valves open.

·
Registered
Stelvio QV my20
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems like to be the case...
Can you post pictures after 300miles or so. But wipe them with a wet wipe then dry with paper towel or after you washed the car so we don’t see the road spray just soot.

·
Registered
'21 Giulia Q
368 Posts
Can you post pictures after 300miles or so. But wipe them with a wet wipe then dry with paper towel or after you washed the car so we don’t see the road spray just soot.
I have driven about 300 miles since I've cleaned it (forgot to take a photo of it). Practically there's no soot on its chrome outer surface. It needs to be mentioned, though, that from MY21 (maybe from MY20 too) you can't drive with the exhaust valves always open. Even in race mode it only opens above 3.5k rpm. It might affect the soot build-up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts