Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people getting on a motorway run? I’ve got an M3 at the moment averaging 27.

Looking at a QV as a new daily but if it’s utterly rubbish on fuel then there’s a hard comparison to a C63S...

·
Registered
316 Posts
On a typical run from Sheffield to Edinburgh which encompasses about 100 miles of motorway and 140 miles of fast A roads it will normally return about 31mpg. That includes spirited driving on the A roads. Hard comparison to a C63S, i think not :rolleyes: The QV wins hands down, stand out from the crowd mate...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
What are people getting on a motorway run? I’ve got an M3 at the moment averaging 27.

Looking at a QV as a new daily but if it’s utterly rubbish on fuel then there’s a hard comparison to a C63S...
I've done 34,000 miles in mine and averaged 24.8mpg overall. That's with a mix of country roads and motorways mainly, with very little urban driving. I don't use it as a daily driver, to my mind it's not suitable. Though no less suitable than an M3, I would suggest.

There have been several return journeys to Italy with about half of the mileage on autoroutes/autostrade generally at 130-150kph and when safe, I've topped out at 240kph, but that is a handful of times in 3 years. The other half of those journeys have been on more minor roads often with spirited driving. On those journeys I'm getting 27-28 mpg. On motorways 31mpg is possible, if staying close to the legal limit and if traffic is light. I'm normally in D, sometimes N and very rarely in A, just when the road conditions are really bad or when the tank is nearing empty. I know A isn't 'All Weather' anymore, but I use it as such.

Hope this helps,

Andy

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Also just came across some of your posts on this Andy which were helpful.

·
Registered
801 Posts
what the boys have already said (y). The economy is OK (30ish) if you drive at sensible motorway speeds (80-90mph), but if you can get the engine to run on 3 cylinders, that means you need to keep below about 75, then it is stunning at 40+ mpg.

·
Registered
290 Posts
What are the requirements for running in 3 cylinder mode? Is it only in A mode? And is there any light on the dash go show you when it is activated?

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
What are the requirements for running in 3 cylinder mode? Is it only in A mode? And is there any light on the dash go show you when it is activated?
From what I gather cylinder deactivation is only evident by an increase in mpg bar tape. It is supposedly active in A, N and D. Here is a thread.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
So it only works for a maximum of 1 minute 40 seconds....wow that must really help with the fuel consumption! I'm guessing that cant be right or why bother?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have half the miles that Andy has but I do use it as a daily driver although I only attend the office twice a week. With a mix of urban, open road and motorway I have averaged 24.3 mpg over the last 17,000 miles according to the trip computer. The car is driven mostly in D, occassionally in N and almost never in A. I use R mode a little in warmer months for weekend drives. My average MPG includes a bit of spirited back road driving on weekends when I use far more fuel than the usual daily driving.

One thing to note. The spec sheet says the tank takes 58L but you can put around 3-4L more into teh tank if you are patient. There is a good 3-4 litres in the neck of the tank. On average I get around 450km (280ml) from a tank between fills but I rarely go to the bottom red dash on the fuel guage. I think 500km (300ml) between tanks is probably feasible for my daily style driving but I have lots of gas statuons nearby so fill it when its convienent.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Best I ever got was on a run from my home in Hampshire to Great Yarmouth.
Pretty much all Motorway. (M27/M3/M25/M11/A11)

Driving mainly in A mode I got an average 38 MPG over the 250 mile trip.

However as has already been said it's not what I bought the car for and I usually only drive in D manual mode and generally get less that 20 MPG. 😁😈

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
So it only works for a maximum of 1 minute 40 seconds....wow that must really help with the fuel consumption! I'm guessing that cant be right or why bother?
The cylinders are never deactivated for more than 100 seconds at a time, then the engine runs on 6 for at least 10 seconds before deactivation kicks in again. So under certain circumstances cylinder deactivation can occur for 90% of the time.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Best I ever got was on a run from my home in Hampshire to Great Yarmouth.
Pretty much all Motorway. (M27/M3/M25/M11/A11)

Driving mainly in A mode I got an average 38 MPG over the 250 mile trip.

However as has already been said it's not what I bought the car for and I usually only drive in D manual mode and generally get less that 20 MPG. 😁😈
Worst I've ever got was 9mpg over 85miles, but I was going round Silverstone at the time. If it hadn't been wet (there was even hail lying on the track for one lap), I probably could have got it under 5mpg.

I wonder how much fuel was used during the 7m32 lap of the 'ring. He obviously didn't have time to top up half way round.

Andy

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you're sensible, and that's the hard part, you should get easy mid 30's. Start to play though and it will soon evaporate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts