Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Quotes form Wheels magazine on the 156 GTA

1K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  Mike D 
#1 ·
Hi,
FYI, here is an Australian magazine's take on the 156 GTA.

"Alfa's choice of front drive had us smirking until we saw the GTA in action. Solid, reassuring and, best of all, fun. Would you believe it oversteers?"

"There's not a lot lightweight about the 156 GTA sedan, certainly not in the performance department, nor the balance, those monster brakes and the pure lunatic chuckability. Take one over a rear drive, or even four wheel drive rival? I'll bet you would."

"The VDC stability system is no buzz killer, but your partner in crime. It loves to oversteer."

This car seems like it might just be worth the asking price. Next up, the 147 GTA for introduction at the Paris Motor show and for release in 2003.
enjoy,
Kevin

G
#2 ·
Wheels magazine seem to have a thing about oversteer (see my comments about the Wheels test of the Clio Sport in another thread).

BTW. Did Wheels give any indication as to the estimated Aussie price for the 156GTA?

A NZ magazine estimated NZ$115,000 when we get it in September. Thats about 34,000GBP so you lot in the UK are getting it cheap at 26-28k.

Cheers
Mike

#3 ·
Hi,
Wheels quotes a price of around A$100,000. A bit rich for me, and on balance probably a little high, around A$80,000 I think would be more competitive.

The 147 GTA with the same running gear (3.2 litre V6, 6 speed transmission) should land at A$75,000, again according to Wheels, it is aimed at the Audi S3. Again I think it is a little high, as that is around A$10,000 more than the Audi. Still, I am glad to see Alfa Romeo building some really high performance Berlinas again. I am even happy with FWD. I don't care what wheels drive the car as long as the cars is responsive and enjoyable to drive. Which FWD Alfas are.
Kevin

G
#4 ·
If I was in the market for a NZ$100k + car I would expect service to match. Based on my experience with the local Alfa dealer I wouldn't bother. I'd be visiting the competition showrooms. However, if I lived in Auckland it would be different. The Alfa dealer is also the Audi dealer (amongst others) and service is as you would expect. Could be interesting, test driving a GTA and S4 back to back (the anticipated price for the GTA is very close to that of the Audi S4).

This all hypothetical as I'm not in the position to afford something that expensive. Still, dreams are free.

Cheers
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.