Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having done a mammoth front end job I'm left over with these two bolts! They have 13mm heads, and do not look like they had nuts on so must be in blind holes, they are similar to the ones that hold the top of the suspension strut to the flitch plates, but I cannot recall where they came from!? Any suggestions. :rolleyes:???!!!!!

If it helps, from the grime they look like 'upper engine bay' to me, and I did:
Gearbox out - including splitting the box
Airbox, throttle body, clutch slave cylinder etc all out to gain access
New Bottom Suspension brackets (control arms)
Renewed driveshaft boots
New Anti roll bushes
Front exhaust off
Loads of brackets off underneath! (bah humbug)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Clutch slave cylinder - maybe refitted with new or different bolts?
Starter motor?

-Alex

·
Registered
331 Posts
They remind me of the airbox bolts. Great fun they are for getting to and moving 3 degrees every turn.
The starter motor ones are setscrews as are most fasteners, and anything lower than the clutch will probably show more rust.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Airbox eh? Velly intelesting, DO you mean the ones that attach the air filter box 'clamp' to the inner wing? ( I know they are fitted) or something else?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Yeah I was going to ask the difference between a 'bolt' and a 'setscrew' (not a term I've seen in NZ) but I've been saved the need :) I think the starter bolts have integral washers (built into their heads).

Rust? Why would a bolt be rusty? :lol:

-Alex

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
How about the two ends of the plenum. They're 13mm. Two centre ones are 15mm. Nice easy check.

One observation, as they don't have an integral flange/washer, they don't fix directly to plastic ( see the bolt at the bottom of the header tank ) or have restricted access.

Yes, I know I wrote 'bolts' . :)

Too late for you, but when I do major work, I put the fixings for each assembly in plastic bags, seal and label them. That way I don't miss any fixings and don't move on to another assembly before everything is refitted. I just use Tesco's cheapest sandwich bags at about 60p a roll!

These are the fixings from when I removed my dashboard to retro fit aircon/climate control.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m615/pkr1/Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 1 - Retro Fit Climate Control/3 Installing the climate control unit/3-1 Pulling it apart/2011-11-14_12-01-19_DSC_0090.jpg

Sometimes there'll be as few as 1 or two bolts in a bag.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi PKR, thanks but I didn't touch the Plenum. Your pic looks like an incident at the dog loo! (no offense !) I started the job with that ethic, but ended up having to strip so many [seemingly] unnecessary parts I lost the work ethic amidst a hail of blue thunder!!!

The slack design, for example all different size bolt head and shanks for a seemingly similar function got me so frustrated I started to strip stuff off and throw bits in a pot in frustration!

One prime example, is the bell housing bolts.
The fact they are different sizes and lengths I can cope with if the application requires it , but what I experienced were bolts that protruded beyond the thread length, which meant the excess exposed bolt thread was exposed to the elements, and being dissimilar metals had the resultant corrosion and oxidisation that takes place, so when withdrawing them the corroded exposed thread wreaked havoc on the main threaded hole when withdrawn. (it that makes sense) nearly every bolt was a fight to unscrew, every turn , all the way!!!
I like to 'crack' a bolt and then bask on the glory of unscrewing it by hand - this concept seems alien to Alfa designers!!!

Rant over!!!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Mr Baacow maybe someone has been there before, when I removed my gearbox I didn't recall any bolts that protruded. Sure I got one bolt that sheered to to galvanic corrosion and had to be drilled out but the choice of material for bolts is fairly limited, steel, but the use of alloys for lightweight is increasingly common.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
OK, I misinterpreted 'air box' to be plenum. Apologies.

Did you shift the aircon receiver/drier? That's by the air filter box & they may be 13mm.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
OK, I misinterpreted 'air box' to be plenum. Apologies.

Did you shift the aircon receiver/drier? That's by the air filter box & they may be 13mm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts