Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,814 Posts
Shocked to read this very sad news.

RIP Quinn.

Thank you Barry for taking the time to let us, his AO family know.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I find this hard to take in. I never had the chance to meet him. I have listened to music links he posted, both those he played on and others.
One of my good friend's wife died over the weekend in her late 50's too :(
Not only is 48 a young age he always seemed a good person.

RIP Quinn. My condolences to you Barry and his family and friends.

S

·
0 Posts
Enjoyed Quinn's posts , always made you think ! ....RIP , will be missed in here .

·
Super Moderator
114,698 Posts
Dear all,
I’ve moved this thread to the Announcements lounge and made it a sticky as the Mod Team feels it’d be appropriate for AOers to have a chance to see the sad news and have a chance to write a few words.

We’ll miss you Mark.

·
Registered
26,101 Posts
I'm sad and shocked and at a loss for words...
Even though half of his posts at least went way over my head, his choice of music was always fresh and worth a listen.

Thank you for letting us know Barry and sorry for your loss.
Please pass on condolences.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Very sad news.
Never met Quinn but certainly seems to have been a prolific member of the AO community.
Condolences to all his family and friends.

RIP Quinn.

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
Oh goodness :( I'm lost for words. Quinn was an enigma to many, rubbed some folk up the wrong way, but sometimes was just a good guy in need of a hug.

RIP Quinn.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I too didn't interact with Quinn on here, he always seemed to have a wise/curt/strange words with others so I steered clear, made me chuckle though.

RIP Quinn

·
Registered
37,542 Posts
I never really 'got' Quinn, to paraphrase SiF, Al, PaulR and Milo he was "Part of the heart and soul of this place a proper one-off individual, mad as a box of frogs, quirky, frustrating, (and) often liberated by alcohol (I) Can't say I got on with or agreed with many of his postings, but his unique style will be missed.

The world would be a boring place if we were all the same."

In one of his usual odd threads entitled ? Quinn said to me
I knew it ... one of these days you will meet me and I'll shake your hand
Maybe one day, eh?

Rest in peace, Mark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
As is nearly always the case,a persons online persona is way different to the reality and in his case I can promise that's true.Well,up to point anyway.We always said we were cut from a bit of the same cloth (probably some hairy old hessian stuff!).I was probably the only one who truly knew him and he said the same about me.He wasn't one for popping down to the local for a pint with the lads.That never really was his thing although we used to many,many years ago.He may have been the worlds worst mechanic,pretty useless at computers (I was pretty much his on-call personal IT consultant) but his DIY skills were beyond anyones imagination.I mean who else would fasten everything with screws only he'd bang them in like nails! He had so many quirks.I don't know if he ever told you guys but the one year he put some decorations up for xmas.Only problem is he quite liked the look of them so he left the string of fairy lights round his fireplace and stuck all the other assorted ornaments in various locations round the house.That was about 5 years ago and they were still up the last time I we went round a few weeks ago.He used to buy the strangest junk off the net.The blower motor went in the car and his screen was frosty on the inside.His solution? to buy what he thought was a rechargeable hairdryer of all things.It was just a normal one so he still ended up running an extension lead up the path.Oh,and then there's the life size cardboard cutout Bengal tiger he bought off Amazon to scare off a couple of pigeons he named Ron and Ron.That didn't work either but we did have some hillarious laughs with that thing and a camera.I have a hundred thousand great memories of him and the fun we got up to.

Happy times.I just wanted to thank you all for all the wishes you've sent.It has meant a lot especially to my girl as well.She says he was like the brother she never had.I could say the same too.

Oh well,back to work and normality tomorrow.Well,I'll try to be as normal as I can be.

He had some good friends here.I just wish more of you had met him in real life.

Thanks guys,

Barry.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
That had me chuckling. Got to laugh at times like this and think back over the good times.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
As is nearly always the case,a persons online persona is way different to the reality and in his case I can promise that's true.Well,up to point anyway.We always said we were cut from a bit of the same cloth (probably some hairy old hessian stuff!).I was probably the only one who truly knew him and he said the same about me.He wasn't one for popping down to the local for a pint with the lads.That never really was his thing although we used to many,many years ago.He may have been the worlds worst mechanic,pretty useless at computers (I was pretty much his on-call personal IT consultant) but his DIY skills were beyond anyones imagination.I mean who else would fasten everything with screws only he'd bang them in like nails! He had so many quirks.I don't know if he ever told you guys but the one year he put some decorations up for xmas.Only problem is he quite liked the look of them so he left the string of fairy lights round his fireplace and stuck all the other assorted ornaments in various locations round the house.That was about 5 years ago and they were still up the last time I we went round a few weeks ago.He used to buy the strangest junk off the net.The blower motor went in the car and his screen was frosty on the inside.His solution? to buy what he thought was a rechargeable hairdryer of all things.It was just a normal one so he still ended up running an extension lead up the path.Oh,and then there's the life size cardboard cutout Bengal tiger he bought off Amazon to scare off a couple of pigeons he named Ron and Ron.That didn't work either but we did have some hillarious laughs with that thing and a camera.I have a hundred thousand great memories of him and the fun we got up to.

Happy times.I just wanted to thank you all for all the wishes you've sent.It has meant a lot especially to my girl as well.She says he was like the brother she never had.I could say the same too.

Oh well,back to work and normality tomorrow.Well,I'll try to be as normal as I can be.

He had some good friends here.I just wish more of you had met him in real life.

Thanks guys,

Barry.
Barry, many thanks for sharing the sad news with us.

I used to post late at night with Quinn, I can't call him Mark because I only ever knew him as Quinn from AO.

He was here when I first joined in 2006 and there was a picture of him on here with a quiff buggered if I can find it now I've found the thread in the bowels of AO :)

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/way-off-topic/24455-the-hairstyle-of-the-devil.html

It was a running joke between me and Quinn with the Tin Tin thing, happy memories :)

I enjoyed late night banter with him when he was in his prime and I will miss seeing his Richard Burton Avatar, I think that was his favourite :)

Did he really have a quiff and did he really have a fat ginger cat, I'd like to think so :)

Anyway, I'll miss him and I hope some where he's enjoying a No 1 and a voddy :)

·
Super Moderator
60,034 Posts
I always thought of Quinn as looking just like Richard Burton :)

I'm glad he had such a good friend in you Barry. Thank you for sharing your stories with us.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I always thought of Quinn as looking just like Richard Burton :)

I'm glad he had such a good friend in you Barry. Thank you for sharing your stories with us.
Me too. The thing with the internet and forums in particular. You form an image and much like radio DJ's when you see them, they're nothing like you imagine, well how it is for me anyway.
Thanks for the insight into the real Quinn Barry :)

61 - 80 of 114 Posts