Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Alfa drivers,

I bought a 159 Ti 1.9 diesel in september 2011. The tyres on the car are ContiSport Contact 3's

I need to replace these soon but am looking for something quiter. these tyres currently 3mm from and 2mm rear are extremely noisy on course surfaces like the A1. I don't fancy paying out £235/tyre for the same, I don't through the car around a lot and have read some posts mentioning NANKANG AS1 96Y becuase of the assymetric pattern. since i'm on 19" Ti rims, the choice is limited. I assume all the blocky pattern tyres are noisy like the conti's? What are the Nankangs like as a tyre generally and are they quiter?

any opinions would be appreciated.

Loving my alfa 159 by the way. :)

//////////////////////////////
Bignige
/////////////////////////////

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Hi fellow Alfa drivers,

have read some posts mentioning NANKANG AS1 96Y becuase of the assymetric pattern. since i'm on 19" Ti rims, the choice is limited. I assume all the blocky pattern tyres are noisy like the conti's? What are the Nankangs like as a tyre generally and are they quiter?

any opinions would be appreciated.

Loving my alfa 159 by the way. :)

//////////////////////////////
Bignige
/////////////////////////////
I have just put on 4 Nankang AS-1's on my 2.4 Ti. I was staggered by how much quieter and how good they are for the money. I came from Pirreli's then bridgestones and i would say the Nankangs are without doubt as good as both of them. (havent had a chance to FULLY try them in the dry yet, but excellent in the wet) Just a shame about the silly name :tut:

I can say with confidence you'd not feel hard done by if you put 4 on :thumbs:

Linky of where i got mine, very good price & next day delivery via Yodel Tyre Traders | NANKANG 235/40R19 96Y AS1

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Worn tyres, regardless of brand, can be noisy. I strongly suspect that a new set of Conti CSC3's would be significantly quieter than the currently worn ones.

But granted, if there's better value out there, consider it.

:)

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Never noticed any road noise with the Accelera Phi's on mine. I'd be interested to hear why cj romeo's doubts the Accelera's quality. I have no issues.

James
They grip well, and break away progressively, but there are a few stories about sidewall failure and them being easily damaged.

I still recommend them at under 100 bucks a corner though, for me just the last 5% of damp grip isn't there, whereas it is on the P Zero, though a P zero makes zero progress on compacted snow, the Accelera beats it there and is quieter, just watch the sidewalls for bulging and damage.

I did 52000 miles on lots of P zeroes and 3000 on the Accelera before I sold the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your input guys....sorry to inflict another tyre thread on the forum but hopefully it will be usefull for others. :)

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
The utterly stupidly named Nangkangs, or is it Nankangs, are actually pretty decent.

I bought the 159 LE (same wheels as the Ti) with 4 of them on, thought I would have to ditch them straight away, but are good so far. Wet weather, dry, snow and ice.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Never noticed any road noise with the Accelera Phi's on mine. I'd be interested to hear why cj romeo's doubts the Accelera's quality. I have no issues.

James
I've just brought Acellera PH1's for my ti and would agree with James on how quiet they are.

Got mine from Camskills at £80 ish a corner.:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
but there are a few stories about sidewall failure and them being easily damaged.
Before this starts being "common knowledge", because I heard it on the interwebz. The only case I've seen of this was in a thread on here, where the wrong size and load index tyre had been fitted. If there are any other cases out there I will quite happily stand corrected though.
Other than that I agree with everything CJ romeo said. Accelrea PHI's are OK, not great but surprisingly acceptable as long as you don't drive spiritedly/like an idiot in damp conditions.
I suspect the Nankangs will perform similarly due simply to the weight of the 159.
And as others have said any new tyre will give less noise than worn ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was going to recommend Goodyear EfficientGrip but I couldn't find them in your size. I had them last two seasons on my ex-car and those are the quietest I drove ever.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Before this starts being "common knowledge", because I heard it on the interwebz. The only case I've seen of this was in a thread on here, where the wrong size and load index tyre had been fitted. If there are any other cases out there I will quite happily stand corrected though.
I was told this by the (indpendent) tyre fitter who put mine on, I use him a lot and just told me to keep an eye on the sidewalls after potholes or kerbing as they arent as resilient as the premium brands.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Tyres with a low treadwear rating, as you would expect make less noise as there is less friction with the road surface (hence less grip too). I believe the Acceleras and the Nankangs both have fairly low treadwear ratings

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Tyres with a low treadwear rating, as you would expect make less noise as there is less friction with the road surface (hence less grip too).
Not necessarily. Noise & wear depend on many factors. Tread design has a big influence on noise, while more advanced compounds can combine good grip & long life.

It could be argued that tyres which achieve long life by using harder tread compounds will be noisier as the hard rubber doesn't absorb as much noise as a softer compound would!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts