Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can thermostats fail intermittently? Up to now the temp gauge always went up to 90°C well within ten minutes and stayed there. Yesterday I was in and out of the car the whole day and noticed that it was stopping at about 70 on about half of the trips (all were 20 minutes or more), and it behaved normally on the others. Today I only had it out once and it never passed 70. I'm planning to go out and bloody up my knuckles on what is predicted to be a cold and wet Monday morning, but wanted to check in and ask if there's anything I ought to know. One other thing... I was in a 7-1/2 hour creeping traffic jam last weekend. The cooling system performed admirably, but I can't help thinking that this could be a factor.
Thanks!

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Not reaching 90 when on the move is classic thermostat failure.

However you may still find it getting closer to 90 on the move if it is a very hot day or you are driving close behind another vehicle, reducing the flow of cool air.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The times when it did get up to 90 didn't follow any pattern though. It was mostly extra-urban light traffic driving on a cool day. It certainly looks like the thermostat, but I find it strange that it would be on-and-off like this.

M

·
0 Posts
For the cost and simplicity of the change, it's worthwhile just changing it....afterall, if it IS performing intermitantly, it might just as easily get stuck in the closed position:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts