Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Is there a quick way to check the condition of the Cambelt on a 147 2.0? I have looked at the cover on the topside of the engine but can't see any clips holding it on, is it easy to remove?

The car has 39k and is 5 years old so its definately due a belt change but I might not be able to get it done for a month or more so I want to do a visual check.

Cheers
Jonu

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Seriously, a visual check like that isn't going to tell you much beyond the fact that the belt is still there!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know but it would make me feel better, Untill I can get it changed
(or much worse if there are bits hanging off it !!!)

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
a 5 year old belt and tensioner.... pheeewww that''s the sure way for disaster... let it change asap !!!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If the engine starts - the belt and tensioners haven't broken yet....

Get it changed!

Simes.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
id get her in the garage sooner rather than later, it may be a low mileage car but the age is just as important.

checking is pretty pointless, besides, its more frequently the tensioner that fails, not the belt ;)

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
if you really want to take a peak there are about half a dozen hex bolts holding the top cover on...probably a bugger to get off in the 147 as i imagine the engine is pretty close to the wheelarch!

S

·
0 Posts
In response to the original question, easier cambelt failure check is to open the oil filler hole, look in and get someone to turn the engine over. The cambelt stays still if cnapped, turns if not or the belt has slipped!

Andy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies, The belt hasn't snapped (i'm using the car) I was just asking if it was easy to check the condition since it will be about a month before I can get it to into be changed. But since it sounds like It won't tell me much I think I'll leave it alone.

Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
i think if the cam belt has snapped you would know all about it without checking in the oil filler!

Just be gentle with the old girl until you get the belts changed and keep your fingers crossed :D

R

·
0 Posts
Doesn't really matter if you're gentle or not, if it's gonna go it'll go. I seem to remember hearing that there's more stress on the belt and tensioners at idle than there is at high revs.

If you have to risk it, then it's a personal choice, but best advice would be to get it done ASAP. I've held off doing my 156 until now on the grounds it's had a belt change before I got it (one at 36k at the main dealer, one later on at an indie but no date or mileage recorded) so now at 74k I'm getting it done as there was no mention of the tensioners being changed and the garage can't remember.

It's been ok luckily, but if it went it would be my own fault.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi All... just piggybacking a little on the back of this thread....
i have a March 03 147 1.6. with 33ish k on it

Is going in for a service in about April, to have the belts changed then too....

Should I be in panic mode for the next three months...?!

These stories sound horrific.....

charlie

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
niallmoran said:
i think actually the worst time is when the engine is cranked from cold....
yes many do fail when the engine is starting.
It just needs a few weak teeth on the belt and it will jump.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am alos worried now. On the 147 JTD 16v M-Jet, I was under the impression that the cambelt change was recommended fairly late (75,000 miles). I am running a 3 year old car at 53,000 miles.

Any thoughts?

Cheers All.

R

·
0 Posts
Don't know about the jtd, try doing a forum search. It's well documented that the TS belt needs changing at 36k or 3 years, and thats recommended for the V6 by a lot of people also. If you're worried, get it changed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts