Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago i posted to say my engine had destroyed itself.
Well just as an update i thought i'd post to let everyone know how it's getting on.
I sourced a second hand engine with only 46,000 on the clock and it's been delivered to my local mechanic last Friday.
I provided some extras to go with it in the form of new plugs x8 and Selenia oil and filter plus a sump washer.
Also a new cam belt and tensioner kit and Aux belt and tensioner, all to fit while the engine is off and easy to get at.
He told me this morning the only thing were waiting for now is the balance shaft belt.
For some reason we couldn't get one anywhere so it's got to come from Italy.
He was telling me that he took the head off the old engine once it was out to see what the damage was and only found 3 pistons. :confused:
The other piston must have been what i run over on the motorway :rolleyes:
So with a bit of luck i'll have her back on the road by the end of the week or early next week i just hope theres nothing wrong else to go wrong with it

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Thanks for the update.
Hope you get her on the road again and all is sorted

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Balancer belt: tried EBSPares, Shop4Parts, AlternativeAutos, Alfaworkshop, Alfashop?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
How on earth did you manage to run over the unlucky piston number 4?! :eek:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Don't forget to acquire a set of camlocks, not something your average local mechanic will have lying about unless they regularly work at alfas and it is IMPOSSIBLE to correctly change a cambelt without them.....while waiting for my car at the dealers last week a very sick sounding alfa came in, my initial reaction on hearing it drive in was "something wrong with cams/timing there" which was borne out by the dealers investigation, finding the customary paint marks for timing and the lady owner reporting a £50 cambelt change (£25 belt, £25 labour) a few days earlier by a local mechanic.....that 1.8ts came so close to destruction but managed to survive by the skin of it's teeth......

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I managed to run the poor thing over as i was on the motorway near Penrith at the time so had to wait for traffic to get out the way so i could make it to the hard shoulder.
Once the oil and steam started to belch out of the bonnet and under the car they all soon moved for me. lol
Oooh dear, sounds distressing! I don't understand how the piston ended up on the road though - did it punch its way through the sump or something? :confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My local mechanic is a good one thankfully he used to have an Alfa himself and has changed engines before.
He regularly does work on Fiats and a couple of Ferraris so i'm confident he knows what he's doing with my Alfa.
And yes there was a huge hole in the sump and a good sized chunk of the block missing once the car had stopped.
So my piston escaped through the hole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts