Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was told at the weekend while cleaning out the egr valve on my friends astra ( same engine as my GT) that while cleaning the egr valve, its a good idea to give the MAP (boost) sensor a cleaning aswell

Its an easy job as the sensor is located just a bit further up from the egr valve on the inlet manifold.

After doing my friends, I had a quick look at my sensor, but wasnt expecting it to be to bad as my car runs well. i took it out and the sensor itself was completely covered in a very thick layer of coke!

after picking at the coke and soaking it in carb cleaner for quite some time, i got the sensor completely clear. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE SMALL SENSOR ROD IN THE MIDDLE.

The car now runs alot better, it has cut out a lot of the lag lower down in the rev range, and it seems to boost alot better now!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Yep. A well known fix :thumbs:

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah, cleaning map is part of my service items on the 20vt... it gets well clogged up.

Wonder what effect on intake getting all coked up the altered gaskets on the EGR will have. Hopefully will also mix the gasses better and help keep everything just a little nicer.

Been contemplating giving whole intake a clean but think it's a rather big job :(

John

M

·
0 Posts
I fitted one of the restrictor plates at my EGR, think it has an 8mm hole in it to let just enough cack through to stop the fault light coming on.

I need to clean the MAP sensor at some point, but can't be bothered :lol:
Saying that, my car sits on the motorway most of the time and I don't have any lag low down in the rev range and it revs cleanly into the red on the rare occasions that I have done that.

M

·
0 Posts
Back of intake manifold, to drivers side with one single bolt on it, you can't miss it ;)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Timely reminder that I didn't clear the MAP sensor when I cleaned out the EGR on my 147 many weeks ago. One of those things I meant to get around to doing :eek:

Maybe this weekend ;)

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Thanks for this. Already cleaned the EGR three times this year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts