Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not fitted this device but have fitted short shift adaptor on 6 and 5 speed gtvs of later variants. The 5 speed makes a big difference whereas the 6 speed is more subtle. 5 speed takes a few hundred miles to settle in. Use lots of white lithium grease to get it going though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes, I've got the above on mine.

Gear change definitely shortened and feels more mechanical.

I find when shifting from first to second you have to be very direct.. straight backwards into 2nd. This took me some getting used to, as almost every Alfa gearbox I've ever had has needed a bit of neutral between 1st and 2nd.
hard to explain but its a nice mod.

The mechanical advantage on the gear change feel quite snappy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!
Seems like this is the way to go then. Not very found of the long travel of the stick.
Any downsides to this mod other than getting used to it?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ive just had a good look at the link. That is the kit for the C503 gearbox ie V6 TWELVE VALVE engines

The engine in the early GTV V6 24v used a C530 (which is a 5 speed variation of the C630 6 Speed box) this is the one I have in mine.

The throw of the original lever is certainly very long and a little lazy. Well worth while upgrade if youre interested in improving the 'feel' of the cars control weights

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive just had a good look at the link. That is the kit for the C503 gearbox ie V6 TWELVE VALVE engines

The engine in the early GTV V6 24v used a C530 (which is a 5 speed variation of the C630 6 Speed box) this is the one I have in mine.

The throw of the original lever is certainly very long and a little lazy. Well worth while upgrade if youre interested in improving the 'feel' of the cars control weights

Wow thanks for pointing that out. But that means that the listing is incorrect? Clearly states 24v too... mine is a -96 3.0 24v. Is there a way to determine which box I have? To be 100% super sure.
Edit: it’s a 5-speed

·
Registered
587 Posts
I believe gearbox version can be found by entering your VIN into FIAT ePer. If youre comfortable PM'ing me your VIN I can enter this into ePer for you.

Pretty sure the listing is wrong on Totally Alfa..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe gearbox version can be found by entering your VIN into FIAT ePer. If youre comfortable PM'ing me your VIN I can enter this into ePer for you.

Pretty sure the listing is wrong on Totally Alfa..
Thanks, PM sent.
I’m in contact with Gary about this matter. Will try to locate the changing mechanism on top of gearbox to clarify this matter. I’m guessing the intake tubing needs to be removed to get a view of this?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Can someone clarify where the quick shift lever is supposed to fit? I don’t get it

·
Registered
231 Posts
One great benefit of the short shifter on the 5 speed box is that when you go for 1,3 or 5th you don't smash into the stereo with your fist.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the kit in the first pos my is indeed the correct for my car. It’s apparently a very early car. I’m planning on fitting it on my car, but I have a problem with a sloppy gearstick. Joints and bushings are worn. Can’t find any info in eper or elsewhere on how to fix this.

The larger joint is a pin through some rubbery metal stuff which is worn. There’s about 1 mm play. My biggest issue I think. The rubbery thing won’t come out unless destroyed I think. Anyone sees any similarities to other Alfa models? Is this fixable even?

As you see in this pic the large grey metal lump could be replaced with the large white plastic lump that fits all other versions. Dimensions and functions are the same. BUT, there’s no way I could get the new plastic one on to my gearstick. Too much stuff in the way.

Any input is welcome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts