Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post my experiences of fitting the Xcarlink to my 159, as I know that a fair few people have the old version stereo in their cars which doesn't play MP3 CDs and who also don't have B&M fitted, so the question of how to get this functionality without replacing the headunit comes up quite often.

The Xcarlink is a CD changer emulator, cost about £80

It plugs straight into the back of the headunit, and will then be recognised by the car as if a CD changer is fitted. Full steering wheel controls work, but no text is displayed - only the "disc" and track number.

I fitted mine no problem in just a few minutes; pull out the headunit, plug it in, route the cable through to the glovebox (by removing one screw at the top of the glovebox at the front that gives access to a removable panel) and that was it.

The device takes SD cards (I tested with a 16GB SD HC and it worked fine), and also has input for a USB memory stick and a line in. There is a version with Bluetooth available too, but I didn't want that.

Only slight pain is that when you prepare the SD card, you have to put all the music within folders named CD01, CD02, etc., and within each folder there can be no subdirectories. However, there doesn't seem to be a limit to how many tracks can be within each folder (although above 99 and the Alfa display starts counting again from 1), so you can fit a vast amount of music onto a card. Shame that the Alfa headunit doesn't have a randomize/shuffle feature as far as I can tell - the unit plays through each directory in Artist order, then track order, I think, but may depend on how your files are named.

I'm very happy with it, does what I want it to do, can't fault the sound quality, was easy to fit, and looks neat and OEM.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have one in my Brera. Key 5 on headunit is Mix I think, once to mix disc, twice to mix all.
Mw XCarlinks doesn't always turn on right if stereo is left set to Cd changer when I start car - it doesn't respond and headunit display goes blank - have to turn it off for 30s then try again which is annoying.

Their website has a free app to order your files as you want

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have this X-carlink fitted in my 159. However it will only recognise 2 folders on the a usb stick. Have tried numerous usb sticks, all set to FAT32 format as per the instructions, with no improvement. Artist name, track name arent displayed on the centre computer display either.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have this X-carlink fitted in my 159. However it will only recognise 2 folders on the a usb stick. Have tried numerous usb sticks, all set to FAT32 format as per the instructions, with no improvement. Artist name, track name arent displayed on the centre computer display either.
Have you got the folders on the stick named in the correct way? They're supposed to be named CD01, CD02...CD10, with no subfolders, and not sure how it would react if there were non-correctly named folders on there as well. Have you tried using SD card instead of memory sticks? Artist and track name aren't meant to display, as it is essentially a CD changer emulator which wouldn't have this function either.

My stereo doesn't mix the disc when 5 is pressed; have tried everything, don't think there is a randomise function on mine, maybe on later ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts