Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i turn full lock to the right, it takes 1 turn, when i turn full lock to the left, it takes about 1 & 1/8th turns and is a quite noticably tighter turning circle. Is this normal? If Yes, Why? If no, Why is my car like this? :cool:

T

·
0 Posts
Maybe cause the steering column is on
the right side of the car, causing
slightly more effort (although shouldn't
be as noticeable as yours) and longer
travel :confused:

Just a theory

J

·
0 Posts
yeh isnt it something to do with the steering rack having one side longer than the other.??????????????????

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Only thing i can think of is if the track rod ends arent screwed on an equal amount of turns

This would make one side steering arm longer than the other and offset the center point of the rack which would make the turns uneven lock to lock

Hope you understand what i mean :rolleyes:

W

·
0 Posts
Perhaps......is there some part of the engine/suspension that would contact if the wheels were allowed to turn further on that side?

wrinx

T

·
0 Posts
If turning right then the only thing i
can think of is the gearbox.
But there shouldn't really be anything in
the way.

W

·
0 Posts
Ah well, just a thought :)

Remember reading about a car (cant remember which one!!) that had steering like described, as it would foul something in the engine bay.....not being very clear here so I'll shut up :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

wrinx

B

·
0 Posts
Weird. Mine's doing the same thing at the moment.

More turns from centre to full lock right than full lock left.

The difference is about a fifth of a turn eek!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeh i guess it must be a clearance thing?! I was just wondering if any other ppl with the quick rack had this? Its not a problem, as theres no funny noises or scrapes etc, infact, it would be damn good if it turned that much both ways as then it would be still quick rack but with a half decent turning circle. :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
wrinx:
Ah well, just a thought :)

Remember reading about a car (cant remember which one!!) that had steering like described, as it would foul something in the engine bay.....not being very clear here so I'll shut up :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

wrinx
the 164 has different locks either way.....but isn't QuickRack (TM)

Also most LHD Alfas have a tighter rack (I think)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts