Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quickie!!

Will a 156 always overheat if the head gasket has gone? I've lost no coolant and never overheated so I'm trying to be optimistic about the small amount of mayo in filler cap.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I think that a sniff test would give you a more definative answer - this tests for hydrocarbons in the water if they are there then you have a leak

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you point me to where to get one?

If I do the cambelt in the mean time would I need to redo it in order to replace a head gasket?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave, after much reading I am kind of hoping this is the case. Going to try and find a mate with a sniff kit or buy one just to be on safe side I think.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mayo is quite thick... is that still because of temperatures as it was fricking cold this last 3 weeks!! And I only do short journeys really. 20 minutes max.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought it was but I didn't look properly, thought I posted to say that!!! When I've gone to top it up today I looked at reservoir and saw it sitting just below maximum, befopre I'd been dumb and looked in from the refill cap, sorry for confusion :(

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
The mayo is quite thick... is that still because of temperatures as it was fricking cold this last 3 weeks!! And I only do short journeys really. 20 minutes max.
There's your answer! Take on a long run to get it really warmed through & the mayo will disappear - if it doesn't you've got a problem, but I very much doubt that you have.

·
0 Posts
I thought it was but I didn't look properly, thought I posted to say that!!! When I've gone to top it up today I looked at reservoir and saw it sitting just below maximum, befopre I'd been dumb and looked in from the refill cap, sorry for confusion :(
That's why ONE thread is the best policy ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's why ONE thread is the best policy ;)
true but you do get viewer apathy on forums and such sites, you tend to gloss over thread titles you've seen a lot unless you've got interest in it and I did just want a quick answer ;)

I'm more optimistic now, still not sure if big e's have gone but I'll check that over weekend!! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts