Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
The last time the car got the timing belt replaced was at 58k miles (October 2014 with previous owner). The car has now 114k miles.
I believe that the belt should be replaced every 70k miles or 5 years, isn't it?
I have booked a timing belt and water rump replacement at the Alfa Workshop this Friday but I have been having second thoughts if I was being a bit too cautious...
Many thanks beforehand for any advice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It’s not that far off needing a change, better safe than sorry. I changed mine myself in December, looking at the condition of all that was removed it was far from needing to be changed but I now have peace of mind (well cambelt related lol) 1 factor to consider is you never know what the quality of the components that were replaced, were they original or quality items? I’d say just go with it.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I thought many people were changing belts at 60k anyway as the coolant pump bearings appear to be quite stressed on the 16v JTDm engine.

·
Registered
JTD 8v stage1+
410 Posts
Yes 70k miles or 5 years normal use (3 years severe use).

JTDm timming belt is more sensible to maintance than old JTD. Water pump will cause most issues, replace it with each timming belt change, don't delay maintance and it'll run safe.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not that anyone should EVER chance these things for longer than the recommended intervals but, would there be any validity to the thinking that once the engine has been run in properly, the actual belt (2nd time round)will last much longer than the likes of the water pump!?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your replies. I replaced both the timing belt and the water pump. I didn't want to take any risks...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies. I replaced both the timing belt and the water pump. I didn't want to take any risks...
Best way a few quid now saves a lot more money later on.
I personally only ever go to half the recommended time/distance, but I do my own maintenance so it’s just part cost

1 - 7 of 7 Posts