Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6295188/IMG_20110905_121415.jpg

Just removed my rear dampers to find this on the corner that's sitting lower than the rest of the car.

To me it looks like the bush is pinching up preventing the damper returning to it's normal 'rest' position, thus keeping the damper compressed and making it sit lower than the rest?

Is it difficult to replace the single bush with the arm in situ? I see they're about £30 for a pair.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I don't think a little 'bush pinching' is going to hold the spring in compression.. anyway the metal sleeve is there to prevent pinching once torqued up.. the split in the 'top hat brim' isn't going to cause too much of a problem..one of mine is the same.. :)

Easy to replace in situ though.. just knock the old ones out and push the new ones in.. plenty of copper ease slippy stuff..

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh Seadart........you make replacing them sound so easy.

My experience was a little different when trying to replace the bushes in my spring pans.
What should have been a morning or afternoon job, turned into over a day of f ' ing and b ' ing whilst working on the little buggers!!:(

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the bottom bolt had been done up too tight, when comparing the two dampers the brackets on the bottom had been bent inwards on the side with the damaged bush.

There wasn't a visible difference but I couldn't fit it back over the bush once removed, whereas the other damper fitted over it perfectly. Needless to say I've corrected the gap using a bolt and two nuts to push the brackets apart until it fitted nicely.

Having reassembled it it now seems to move alot more freely when loading up the suspension with the jack. So hopefully a result, we'll see how sits once it's down off the axel stands.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
They should do.
Other causes of your drop rear end?
1. knackered, unmatched or incorrectly seated rear springs.?
2. incorrect upper wishbone?
3. Knackered spring cup?

The shock won't affect the ride height.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Like seadart said, that's one of the easiest poly bushes to replace, and can be done insitu, by the looks of it you will probably get away without replacing it though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts