Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the reverse light need to come on automatically.... or can it be a switch on the dash?

On the race car the tabs on the back of the gearbox switch are missing, so was tempted to make it a dash mounted switch :confused:

Saves finding a gearbox reverse light switch, fitting it, refilling it with oil, all on the driveway and all that polava...

(Who can beat Kev to the answer.....?)

Answers on a postcard....:)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I think it is OK, provided that a dash warning light is fitted, in case you forget to switch it off.

I think we can forgive Kev for not replying immediately, given what has been going on recently (we're all with you mate, don't leave!)

Lauren

·
Registered
30,334 Posts
Do you actually need a reversing light for the MOT ?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys, :thumbs:

Next question - is it a given that if I pull out the reverse warning switch from the gearbox does it pizz gearbox oil all over the place, or is there a small chance that the gearbox oil is not on a direct path out through that route??

Anyone know??

E.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmm......

Ok.... does anyone have a spare or know the part number for the gearbox reverse switch.

Will keep it handy ready for when the gearbox is next on the floor. Failing that will either have to stand the car on end or freeze the oil in the gearbox :D

E.

G

·
don't think i have any spare switches mate, none in either spare casings i have i'm pretty sure.

do you need to have a working reverse lamp for racing?

or is it just for when you're manouvering around in the dark?

a simple toggle switch on the dash would do the job to make it easy. the 2 wires that run down to the switch may even be long enough to reach into the car to save any wiring, just stick them on the back of a toggle or rocker switch :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just bought the one off jolly ol ebay.

As you say Kev, may try and whip it out and the new one back in quickly. Shouldn't loose an appreciable amount.

Will give it a go.

The race car is going back on the road. Trying to get it all ready for it's first MOT in years. Wonder how many pages I can get to???? :D

MOT chap is going to be scratching his head when I turn up. :D:D

G

·
you may get away with a little more with it being a track prepared car.

for instance;

seats have to be able to be moved forwards and back and lock in position so that drivers of different heights can drive safely.

a steering lock must be fitted and working, take the key out sort of thing

you can however use discretion on things like that which in a race/rallly etc car would not be fitted.

just make sure the basics work and there is nothing daft and i'm sure you will be fine :thumbs:

lights you need, sidelights (must work with ignition on & off, same for hazards) dip & main beam, both number plate lights must work, rear fog, brake lights, indicators.
also the "tell tale" lamps in the car must work - rear fog, main beam and indicators/hazards
speedo also must be illuminated and the glass not cracked. it will actually need a speedo, a tom tom or similar won't be any good ;)

then make sure that brake pipes are in good condition and secured, hoses not split or chafing.
ball joints not too much play, the gaitors on all joints are now failable if split
check exhaust for security and leaks, a little blowing from a joint will be acceptable
wipers/washers, horn, belts for condition and secure attachment, no serious rust around anything significant, secure seats, screen not chipped more than 10mm diameter in zone A which is roughly the portion you look through, 40mm elsewhere
tyres for tread/condition and same size each axle, handbrake as well as service brake.

if all above is about right there's not that much else to do. emmisions may need a tweak as with twin carbs the CO limit is easily beaten :rolleyes: any decent place will help out with that though :cool:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kev,

Big thanks :thumbs:

I have written down most of that little lot on my pad and will start to cross off things as a pre-check.

Is there something about the red or orange ignition or oil light that you need, at or just before start up? I seem to remember something like that.

Also, does the speedo need to be illuminated internally - or can I shine a shrouded small bulb at it to forward light it - if that makes sense?

E.

G

·
ignition or oil lights are not checked.

a light on for low brake fluid (sometimes same as hand-brake on warning lamp) or abs/airbag light on will cause issues. of course the abs/airbag won't worry you, let alone the eps light :D (electric power steering ;))

re the speedo some cars have a bulb mounted in the top of the cowling so it shines on the face of the dial, if that's what you mean? perfectly acceptable :thumbs:

was actually a bit of chat about if a car turns up with a torch strapped to the dashboard pointing at the speedo could you pass it :lol:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was going to take my 75TS for an MOT tomorrow but as the perspex cover over the speedo has cracked (after being left out in the cold all winter) it would appear I would have been wasting my time !

G

·
I was going to take my 75TS for an MOT tomorrow but as the perspex cover over the speedo has cracked (after being left out in the cold all winter) it would appear I would have been wasting my time !
depends mate.

bit of another grey area left to the testers opinion, no hard and fast rule like is with say a chip in the windscreen.

the general rule of thumb is does the crack prevent the speed being clearly read?

so from that if a crack was all the way across the bottom but only interfeered with say the first 20mph then i would pass and advise on it.

if the crack was like a spiders web and prevented seeing the sort of 40mph to 60 range (where speeding tickets can be argued) then it would be a fail. ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for the advice. If I ask the garage they will say bring it in and as its SORN'd at the moment i will have to pay my £40 and it may fail. The crack is only small though and is barely noticeable but as I will have to fix it within a fortnight I think I will try and source another one first.
P.S. Glad you have not left, Kev. Your photos keep the enthusiasm for my, get them on the road one day, Suds going.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks Keith - much appreciated.

Now only have two remaining items before I feel it is sufficiently progressed for its first attempted MOT.

1. there is a plug in the speedo drive that I can seem to budge. It is a legacy of when it was a race car. I wonder it anyone has seen this before - I will upload a photo later on. Also, I don't actually know what gearbox it is, so in trying to install a pick-up it could indeed be a cable driven speedo. Would appreciate any tips.

2. an electrical problem. It seems that:

when I turn the ignition on the full beam dash light is illuminated.
when I operate the stalk for full beam the full beam light goes out.
there is no dash illumination unless I pull the full beam stalk toward me - and even then it is dim
the 2 warning lights for low petrol and high temperature come on when I flick the ignition, as does the handbrake bulb warning light, but before they go out the high beam warning light changes in its intensity either side of these 3 lights going out on a timer.
Probably some other quirks around all the above - but something is not working.

Any ideas would help. Could it be a duff relay, not a bad earth in my mind, a wrong connection perhaps?

I have changed both the instruments and well as the stalk sets to try and rule them out.

As most other things work, as soon as I can conclude these 2 it will be off to what I imagine will be its first of at least a couple of MOT sessions. :rolleyes::)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts