Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right i need to 'top up' my engine coolant. From the outside of the reservoir it looks blue but on inspection it is virtually transparent. Can i top it up with more blue coolant or should i flush the system completely? Or should i be using the pink stuff as under the bonnet it recommends paraflu?

flushing guide please???

Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
The way i did mine was to remove the bottom hose off the rad and run a hosepipe through the expansion tank until it runs clear, connect rad back up, fill and run for a few mins to let waterpump circulate any coolant that wasn't flushed, remove pipe again, flush, connect up and refill with water & antifreeze :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
my head hurts:rant::lol:

certain echos in this place:lol:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Why not bother flushing or Why not use tap water?

supposed to be deionized/disstilled water, but doesnt really matter tbh, depends how hard or soft you water is.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
apparently the minerals and chloride and chlorine in tap water, corrodes the metal pipes, radiator, and coats the inside of the engine.

but yeah there are additives in the coolant to stop this. after using hard tap water to top my cars, for about the 8 yrs iv been driving, and my dad and mum for 40yrs previous, with no issues, i will continue to do so.

if i was doing a full change then i will probably use deionized/disstilled water, but not for topping up;)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I would never use tap water. Why knowingly put crap in your system?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
be awkward getting ya butt over the top up tank,could you imagine all the alfa owners squatting over their wings :cheese:
be carefull you dont have the explosive kind, get it all over your car too, yuk:lol:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts