Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should both brake lights be on at the back when the headlights are turned on as at present only my driver side one is, cant remeber if this has always been the case becuase I never paid attention to it before. Both brake lights are fine when I touch the brakes but only one is on permanent when the head lights are on, strange, is this normal fellow GTV drivers???

·
Registered
245 Posts
Um, mine (Spider) when head lights are on both lights at back are on and when you press the brake the acutal break lights both come on.

All your lgiths should be on when you turn your headlights on so check your bulbs/fuses

Cheers Josh

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Errrr, is this a wind up? :p

If not . . . . . .

That may be your rear fog anti collision light! :rolleyes:

Try turning it off as it WILL annoy any driver behind you during the hours of darkness. :eek:

Paulus

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Try changing the bulbs on the 'dicky' side. Sounds as though a filament has detached and re-attached to other contact. Had this once on the old Panda. Gave all sorts of peculiar effects. Also check the earth connections. Make sure correct type of bulb- some have off-set pins and will fit with little force but will then give odd results.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try changing the bulbs on the 'dicky' side. Sounds as though a filament has detached and re-attached to other contact. Had this once on the old Panda. Gave all sorts of peculiar effects. Also check the earth connections. Make sure correct type of bulb- some have off-set pins and will fit with little force but will then give odd results.
Got my answer today on the 100 mile dash back to Dublin from Waterford where for about 45 minutes I was behind another identical (except silver as opposed to meteor grey and 02 as opposed to 00) 2.0 GTV - both lights are on, as I kinda figured they should be.

The 2 GTV's together must have looked a strange sight for people as we went through a few small towns nose to tail. there cant be more than a few hundred in Ireland

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
OK let's look at this logically

Q/
Should both brake lights be on at the back when the headlights are turned on???
A/
NO. when the headlights are turned on there should be no brakelights on, unless you have your foot on the brake.

The Headlights and Brakelights work independantly of each other.

When side lights or headlights are on then both tail lights should be on.

When braking both brakelights (plus any centre auxilary lights) should be on regardless of whether the head/side lights are on or off.

There is on the off side rear a suplementary "bright" light that is dependant on the dip headlights being on to illuminate. This is an "anti collision" or rear fog light and should only be turned on in cases of extreme poor visibility such as heavy spray or dense fog. When this light is on there should be a warning light visible somewhere in the cockpit, either on or near the light switch, or displayed on the speedo dioal or somewhere similar.

Q/

Both brake lights are fine when I touch the brakes.
A/

Well that's good as that is exactly what should happen!

Q/

. . . .only one is on permanent when the head lights are on.
A/

That does seem eirily like a rear fog "anti collision" light now, doesn't it? Could that be what it is, possibly? Just a thought?

Q/

A/

No, not really.

Q/

is this normal fellow GTV drivers???
A/

Yes, this is normal to all drivers.

Now go and find the switch and turn the thing off.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

P

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
:D

It's the fog-lamp... When just one is fitted (rather than a pair) it will be on the offside (same side as the steering wheel).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:D

It's the fog-lamp... When just one is fitted (rather than a pair) it will be on the offside (same side as the steering wheel).

Ralf S.
I think I remember that from somewhere but I can't remember where.

Hey wow Ralf I'm having De-Ja-Vu and amnesia at the same time!

Hang on; I forget where I saw that B4.

Paulus

This is a wind up, like I first said, Isn't it?

Check out http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-brera-gtv-and-spider/88076-right-hand-pedal.html#post1264149

D

·
0 Posts
So what's happened then? Was it your fog light or are your lights buggered?

H

·
0 Posts
Paulus Just for your information the GTV has twin rear fog lamps housed next to the brake lights :D

But you driving a 147 would know all about the rear fog lamp arrangement of the GTV wouldn't you ;)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Paulus Just for your information the GTV has twin rear fog lamps housed next to the brake lights :D

But you driving a 147 would know all about the rear fog lamp arrangement of the GTV wouldn't you ;)
No

I do know that the brake lights should not come on with the side/head lights

H

·
0 Posts
If the fog light button is on and one of the bulbs has blown it would look like a one brake light was on when you switched the head lights on :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Are you refering to the tail lamps? These are the lower intensity lamps that light when you turn your lights on. Often these are combined into the same reflector as the stop function by using a twin filament bulb. One filament lights for the tail function and the second filament lights for the stop function.
Is it that when you turn on your lights only one of the tail lamps (lower intensity) lights and when you press the brake pedal both stop lamps come on? If this is the case then the tail lamp filament of one of the bulbs has blown. Just replace the bulb and everything should be OK.
Stop lamps do not turn on when you turn on your lights, only when you press the brake pedal!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts