Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Quick Alarm question - help needed quickly.

1K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Andy76 
#1 ·
Hello, this is a bit of an urgent one as I have had to leave my car at my sisters.
I have just topped up my break fluid to stop the handbrake warning light coming on - everything there is okay.
Drove to my sisters, locked the car using the fob, now can't get in!
Fob won't disable the alarm, can get in using the key, but alarm goes off. Changed battery in fob, but sill nothing.
Is there a way to reset the alarm using the key?
Thanks in advance.

G
#15 ·
Correct :D

I can get in the car using the key, but I cannot disable the alarm. I have all the keys - including the round looking one. Cannot understand why this has happened? Tried both fobs now, but nothing, tried starting the car with the brown master key, but the alarm continues.

I have all the keys and codes for the car, so what will be the best thing to do?

The thing is I do not have any manual for the car, so I don't know what to do with the keys I have. If anyone has a users manual for a 1996 2ltr GTV, I would gladly purchase it from them.
I haven't got the manual for my TS :(

What strikes me is it's been really cold here for the last few days,
My last GTV hated the cold :(

The doors didn't open because they were frozen do they try to open or is the fob completely dead ?

The cold will also show up a faulty battery that sends the alarm loony :(

BTW is it the Meta alarm :)

#3 ·
Thanks hlambourn.
Once inside the car with the engine running, will the alarm stop?
I have all the keys including the brown master key - what do I do with that?

#4 ·
No the alarm won't stop.

You need a barrel key (a short one circular to look at end on)

If you don't have that, you'll have to do what I did.... brave the alarm, take off the plastic wing protector and pull the plug on the siren. I think it went off 6 times while I did that and I was mildly deaf :( I don't recommend it at night if you value your neighbours friendship!

G
#5 ·
Hello, this is a bit of an urgent one as I have had to leave my car at my sisters.
I have just topped up my break fluid to stop the handbrake warning light coming on - everything there is okay.
Drove to my sisters, locked the car using the fob, now can't get in!

surely you have to get in to release bonnet to get to the alam to turn it off????

#6 ·
I can get in the car using the key, but I cannot disable the alarm. I have all the keys - including the round looking one. Cannot understand why this has happened? Tried both fobs now, but nothing, tried starting the car with the brown master key, but the alarm continues.

I have all the keys and codes for the car, so what will be the best thing to do?

The thing is I do not have any manual for the car, so I don't know what to do with the keys I have. If anyone has a users manual for a 1996 2ltr GTV, I would gladly purchase it from them.

#9 ·
Sadly not on a UK supplied car. Many markets had the original fit Alfa alarm there, but on UK cars the Meta alarm is behind the dashboard.

I think best bet is to get in the car and start the engine with normal ignition key. If that doesn't work then take off the carpet panel in the footwell on one or both sides of the footwell and then pull out any of the wide flat connectors from the black M99T2 box there. Make sure you only pull one out and then replace it if it doesn't work as the 4 similar ones are not labelled.

Good luck. I hope you are the owner and I am not helping a thief!

#12 ·
Sadly not on a UK supplied car. Many markets had the original fit Alfa alarm there, but on UK cars the Meta alarm is behind the dashboard.

I think best bet is to get in the car and start the engine with normal ignition key. If that doesn't work then take off the carpet panel in the footwell on one or both sides of the footwell and then pull out any of the wide flat connectors from the black M99T2 box there. Make sure you only pull one out and then replace it if it doesn't work as the 4 similar ones are not labelled.

Good luck. I hope you are the owner and I am not helping a thief!
LOL, yes I am the owner! I have these small keys, bit like a U-Lock key, so does this mean I could do what "whatmoretyres" said? If not what are the keys for? My car is a UK model.

#16 ·
No happy man, the fob is dead - tried new battery, and nothing. Can I just confirm the fob takes one 3v battery, and not two?
It has been acting a bit strange in the cold, but now nothing. The central locking works okay with the key, but as I locked it using the fob, I have to open it using the fob, as the alarm keeps going off.
My dads Rover has a sequence you can use by locking and unlocking the door with the key, is there nothing I can do like that?
I think it will be the Meta alarm? Standard UK car.

G
#17 ·
Is the fob a round grey Job with a button in the middle ?

Try this lock and unlock all the doors using the Key
Then make sure all the doors are properly shut and try the fob.

That's the reset procedure for the central locking :)

Does she start first time when you try ?

#18 ·
It is the grey one with the alfa badge in the middle, and little red light.
The car has always fired up first time.
The fob lights up, but nothing on the car.
I'll try that unlock/lock sequence tomorrow.
Thanks to everyone for their advice!

#25 ·
It works now :confused:
Unlocked it using the fob, then tried to lock it again. Wouldn't work at first, but took it for a drive, and now it works? Couldn't find where the barrel key goes.
Oh the joys of owning an alfa.......
Thanks for all your help. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.