Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be replacing the dual mass flywheel and clutch (incl. throw out bearing and slave) in my '03 156 1.9JTD (8valve) in the next week or so, parts are on the way. I'm looking/researching for any suggestions, tips, tricks or gotchas that I can get into my head before I start. I've replaced and rebuilt all manner of early 105 and Alfasud things (g'boxes/engines, etc.) before but never (needed) to undertake anything more serious than suspension bushes on the 156.

Can anybody who has removed the gearbox for this job confirm if I need to remove both driveshafts ie. seperate both lower ball joints and pull them out or can I get by just removing the near side one?

Due to the cars location (on my small sloping drive) I'm hoping to R&R the gearbox by only removing one wheel (along with all the other gubbins). That is i'm hoping that I can do this without removing the subframe (threads suggest this is okay in the 1.9). Lastly, the DMF is likely bolted very tightly .. any suggestions as to how to lock the engine (from spinning) so I can get torque on the flywheel bolts?

Any other comments or thread links appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I've not done an Alfa box but from my experience with other cars yes you will need to drop both driveshafts, otherwise you'll end up faffing and swearing for ages trying to line everything up again when you put it back together and end up taking the other driveshaft out anyway.

Best way to lock the flywheel on most cars is to use one of those little flywheel locking tools, about £10 from the Bay if I remember right. They've got a toothed edge so engage with the flywheel ring gear and bolt into a gearbox mount hole to lock the flywheel solid.

Oh, and I don't know if it's a tricky gearbox to get back into place, but I found some suitable studs from a diy shop cut to size work wonders for realigning everything - screw them into the original box mount holes, slide the gearbox along them and then screw on some nuts to to keep it level, fiddle and wiggle the box until the input shaft lines up with the hole in the flywheel, slide the box home and replace the studs in opposite pairs with the original gearbox bolts.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, and I don't know if it's a tricky gearbox to get back into place, but I found some suitable studs from a diy shop cut to size work wonders for realigning everything - screw them into the original box mount holes, slide the gearbox along them and then screw on some nuts to to keep it level, fiddle and wiggle the box until the input shaft lines up with the hole in the flywheel, slide the box home and replace the studs in opposite pairs with the original gearbox bolts.
That's a bloody good idea, thanks
I wonder what the size/pitch of those bolts is (anybody?)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've not done an Alfa box but from my experience with other cars yes you will need to drop both driveshafts, otherwise you'll end up faffing and swearing for ages trying to line everything up again when you put it back together and end up taking the other driveshaft out anyway.
I can confirm that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts