Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all. i've got a 97 155 1.8 16v TS (which i love) and some questions.

the brakes are not the best in the world (discs the size of buttons doesn't help) and i would like some help with what to use to upgrade them (for a reasonable price). the main problem is that the brake pedel goes down too far for me to heal and toe. is there any way to change this?

secondly, the brakes could do with being more powerful. i'm going to try some upgraded pads next time i change them. are there any brands that people have had good results from ? will the standard discs be able to cope with the extra heat that these pads will generate. i'm not going to be using the car on a track, just some "enthusiastic" road use.

of course, once i've improved the brakes, i'm probably going to want to improve the power output too. is filter/exhaust the best starting point?

thanks in advance for any help.

Minch

·
Registered
260 Posts
First of all, if your brake pedal has alot of travel before you get any bite you need to look at:

1. Fully bleeding the system with new DOT5.1 rated brake liquid.
2. If the above doesnt improve things much, you can buy an fit Goodrich stainless steel brake hoses which will improve things a tad.

By the way, Im basing my suggestions above on the assumption that your pads have plenty of life left, if they are on metal, then the first point of call is to change them.

I'm not absolutely certain about this and Im sure one of the more expirienced guys will correct me, but I think you should be able to fit the 284mm V6/2.0/2.0Turbo discs on your 1.8 with minimal effort. The thing to work out with those is the depth of your current disc and choose a 284mm disc of the same depth. The other factor is possibly the brake calipers, which you should be able to obtain from various breakers from a 2.0 or a V6 car. I believe the mounting points on the callipers are the same, but dont quote me on that just yet....research for yourself on the difference.

Personally I would reccomend Black Diamond as a disc brand, just fitted a new set front and rear of the combi variety and Im very happy with the performance, Also Im almost shocked at how quiet they are for a drilled and grooved set.

On the pad front, Im running EBC Greenstuff which are good for fast road use, but I hear from the guys on the forums that Ferrodo DP2500 (?) are the pads to go for on the 155.

No comment on power, mine is still standard....Im concentrating on getting the handling back in order on mine first of all ;)

Hum :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, Humor. Please accept this virtual pint as thanks. ;) the pads are all about half worn at the moment. i did the oil change two weeks ago and checked then.

at the next service i'll upgrade the fluid and see about the brake hoses and pads.

i'm very happy with the handling of my 155. the 205/50s give so much more grip than i have used before. i borrowed a mk1 audi coupe quattro (non turbo) the other day and it was understeering all over the place at speeds that the alfa hardly noticed!

i'll probably look at upgrading the suspension when the bushes need replacing.

Cheers,
Minch

·
Registered
260 Posts
minch said:
i'm very happy with the handling of my 155. the 205/50s give so much more grip than i have used before.
Im happy that you are happy, its a case of what you dont know wont hurt you :)

Unfortunately Im not, after driving a 155 with good steering and running gear for a number of years, then moving onto a looser car feels like Im in a boat every time I even think about pushing it, but with various replacements already completed, Im now down to only the steering rack to be looked into before I can be happy that I have true Alfa handling in my hands :D

Good Luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the larger discs from the 2.0 + car have different drive shafts, so they wont fit, i tired this 6 years ago.

but the brakes on a 1.8 16v should be hurling you into the windscreen with the slightist touch anyway, well mine do !!!

if the pedal is travelling like that then bleed the brakes with new fluid and bare in mind that the clutch uses the same resivior so bleed the clutch slave cylinder while your at it

·
Registered
260 Posts
Cream said:
the larger discs from the 2.0 + car have different drive shafts, so they wont fit, i tired this 6 years ago.

but the brakes on a 1.8 16v should be hurling you into the windscreen with the slightist touch anyway, well mine do !!!

if the pedal is travelling like that then bleed the brakes with new fluid and bare in mind that the clutch uses the same resivior so bleed the clutch slave cylinder while your at it
but be very careful when bleeding the clutch system, as you need to have the reservour "full at all times" else you will end up like me with a clutch pedal on the floor.

I found on my second attempt that after filling up the reservour up to the top of the cap, 3 strokes later it was time to fill it up again, so be very careful when bleeding the clutch or you will end up with air in the system pretty easily.

Good Luck.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cream said:

Actually I did the conversion for my 1.8 16V to the 2.0 16V front brakes. The drive shaft for the 2.0 is the same. I think only those on maybe the V6 and Q4 are different.

The only items you need to change are the steering knuckles, discs, calipers and pads. A pretty straightforward bolt on for the items, no modifications necessary.

You would need the whole set though. The steering knuckles are longer to cater for the larger discs, discs are 1 inch larger, calipers are larger and the brake pads have a bigger contact patch with the disc. I remember taking pictures, but unfortunately I can't find them at the moment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts