Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased my first Alfa, a 156 1.8 on a 51 plate.... always wanted an Alfa but have always been put off by horror stories of bad experiences etc. So decided on buying this as it is that cheap the worst that will happen is i lose a couple of grand!! So what the hell!!

It is booked in for a cambelt change and Service at the same time.

My questions are:

1. In all my previous cars the temp and fuel gauge were generally fairly static. On my Alfa the Temp will take an age to get to "90" swing slowly between the line before and the one after the 90 mark. Fuel sometimes shows in reserve then for no reason become a quarter of a tank... is this the character of Alfa's or a potential problem.

2. When going over speed bumps 9 times out of ten the front spoiler and the base below the engine will hit the deck on the way down even a low speed. The only way to avoid this is to take them barely doing 10mph..... seriously annoying me and the ever increasing traffic behind, the suspension is "squeaky" but i have been told by my local garage the suspension is fine, although i'm not convinced!!!

Any ideas

Cheers:thumbs:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Problem 2. You got a sump guard I think. I had the exact same car and I will say dont take the guard off, I did and smashed my sump off!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
another point with this being your first alfa your belts need changing at 36k and you need to check your oil weekly they like a drink enjoy and welcome

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
the squeaky suspension will probably be the upper balljoints, not really a major problem, just annoying, the grounding on speedbumps is normal and can be sorted with uprated suspension (either alfa sportspack or aftermarket)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've owned 37 vehicles to date, and the only one with a reliable fuel guage (read: one that didn't lean in the corners) was a 30's era Morgan tricycle (it had a dipstick). My temp guage stays at a steady 70 on the highway, and only reaches 90 in city traffic, but that might have something to do with my having left the sump plate on a railway crossing...

·
Vendor
46,139 Posts
I've owned 37 vehicles to date, and the only one with a reliable fuel guage (read: one that didn't lean in the corners) was a 30's era Morgan tricycle (it had a dipstick). My temp guage stays at a steady 70 on the highway, and only reaches 90 in city traffic, but that might have something to do with my having left the sump plate on a railway crossing...
Your thermostat is stuck open mate ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your thermostat is stuck open mate ;)
You mean it should be running at 90 all the time? Darn, and all this time, I thought I'd finally found one that didn't over heat...

BTW, to get back to the squeaky suspension, couldn't it also come from worn-out swaybar links?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts