Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably this is a very easy question for all of you!

How can I distinguish the wide body 155 (as I know produced after 06.1995) from the older ones most easily?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The wide body is the post 1995 model. It has wider front and rear arches around the wheels.
The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the triangle in the gril (with the alfa logo in it) If it is the colour of the car itself it is the older model, is it silver/metal colored than you probably got a new model. Besides the wide model has organic shaped side blinkers. (Or round ones if it is manufactured in 1995) The older model has straight/slimm side blinkers.
Hope this helps.
(Some people do change their grill or blinkers for newer models so check the wheelarches if you are unsure.)
Jan.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before 6/95 the 155 was the most important model for alfa, the they put all the importance to develop the 145/46, so the best car was the lastets off the old version...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:confused:
Well Huayra......
If i get your message correct you are saying that the development of the 145/146 made the post 1995 155 worse than the pre-1995 one? Because there was to much manpower needed for the 145/6? Strange! I find the post 1995 a better car than the pre-95 since it was a further development of the car. Alfa didn't get rid of anything good as far as i can tell. Maybe you can name an example?

I owned both models so i know the differences. And really like them all!
(16v engines/more agressive shape/wider track/sharper steering/airbag....)
Jan.
;)
Look at the following poll 75%likes wide body shape/14.3%likes the small variant/the rest wouldn't buy a 155(but a 156 or other make)
artc155 poll

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is 05/1995 according to the dealer CD. And it's definitely widebody. You could check the fotos in the register - #171.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all
Cyril's right, production of Series III (Wide Body) started May '95.
Well, the 145/146 is another variant on the Tipo/Tempra platform like the 155 (and Lancia Dedra and 2nd. generation Delta).
If anything took priority at Alfa at that time it was the development of the 156 (the 164 replacement (166) was then quite near finished but put on hold (to have it’s chassis redeveloped) until the 156 was lanced).
Looks are always a matter of taste, but dynamical the S III 155s are clearly the best of the range.
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back to original question.

I think I have seen both models with triangle chromed.

Main differences between these models are; engine, widebody has 16 valve engine, track gauge at front is wider than rear wheels has.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again
Series I (92 to mid 93) except Q4s had body colour triangle, series II (model year 1994, late 93 until April 95) all had chrome triangle. More importantly the body structure (front end and sills) was stiffened and suspension and front wheel geometric changed.
At the same time (in Denmark) a steering wheel air bag and side collision bars in the doors was fitted.
Series III (May 95 on) cars have 26 mm wider track, 2,0 16v replaced the 2,0 TS and got the 287 mm front brakes of the 2,5 and Q4, the quick steering rack and the S(port) version was introduced with 15 mm lower ride and sportier springs, black/grey 15" Speedlines (16" optional), front and side spoiler and an optional boot lid spoiler. Later the 1.8 TS and 1,7 was replaced by 1,8 16v and 1,6 16v. All 16 valve engines is of the new "Modulo" engine family used by the Fiat Group in the mid, large, coupe and spider range models – in Alfa models with a special cylinder head with 2 spark plug and variable inlet valve timing (the variable timing is available on certain Fiats and Lancias, as well, eh - sorry, giving the same problems with clatter and broken tension wheels).
I hope this clears the bewildering to newcomers to the 155 range and its variants.
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi again
Series I (92 to mid 93) except Q4s had body colour triangle, series II (model year 1994, late 93 until April 95) all had chrome triangle. More importantly the body structure (front end and sills) was stiffened and suspension and front wheel geometric changed.
At the same time (in Denmark) a steering wheel air bag and side collision bars in the doors was fitted.
Series III (May 95 on) cars have 26 mm wider track, 2,0 16v replaced the 2,0 TS and got the 287 mm front brakes of the 2,5 and Q4, the quick steering rack and the S(port) version was introduced with 15 mm lower ride and sportier springs, black/grey 15" Speedlines (16" optional), front and side spoiler and an optional boot lid spoiler. Later the 1.8 TS and 1,7 was replaced by 1,8 16v and 1,6 16v. All 16 valve engines is of the new "Modulo" engine family used by the Fiat Group in the mid, large, coupe and spider range models – in Alfa models with a special cylinder head with 2 spark plug and variable inlet valve timing (the variable timing is available on certain Fiats and Lancias, as well, eh - sorry, giving the same problems with clatter and broken tension wheels).
I hope this clears the bewildering to newcomers to the 155 range and its variants.
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All here in the UK all pre 6/95 models did not have chrome coloured triangle they apprered when the widebody models were introduced in june 95.
Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all,
the model designation badges on the boot are also different...widebodies are low down on the bootlid, whereas earler models were up at the same level as the Alfa badge. This is unless they've been moved/removed of course :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts