Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm in the process of finalizing my order for a Giulietta 1.4 TCT. For the TomTom nav, the dealer is ordering this TomTom GO 1005 device. I was just wondering if this is the right device compatible with Blue&Me, with live traffic, car menu (media player, fuel efficiency, etc.),..? I got a bit confused on the site of TomTom as the TomTom Go 1005 device:
GO LIVE 1005 Europe - Car navigation - TomTom

seems to be different from the one suggested for Alfa Romeo (different screen size, etc.):
Blue&Me TomTom for Alfa Romeo - Built-in car navigation - TomTom

Thanks for clarifying on this!

Also, which 18" wheels you like more?! :D spoke or 5 hole design? Can't make up my mind on that!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hi folks,

I'm in the process of finalizing my order for a Giulietta 1.4 TCT. For the TomTom nav, the dealer is ordering this TomTom GO 1005 device. I was just wondering if this is the right device compatible with Blue&Me, with live traffic, car menu (media player, fuel efficiency, etc.),..? I got a bit confused on the site of TomTom as the TomTom Go 1005 device:
GO LIVE 1005 Europe - Car navigation - TomTom

seems to be different from the one suggested for Alfa Romeo (different screen size, etc.):
Blue&Me TomTom for Alfa Romeo - Built-in car navigation - TomTom

Thanks for clarifying on this!

Also, which 18" wheels you like more?! :D spoke or 5 hole design? Can't make up my mind on that!
I believe the Alfa Tomtom2 is the same as the "go live 1005". I will have a look at mine tonight and confirm.
The previous model of alfa tomtom didn't have the live functions i believe.
Genuine Alfa Romeo Blue&Me Accessories | Blue And Me Accessories

With regard to the wheels, i like the 5 holes over the silver turbines, but i love the black turbines on mine.
I suspect the 5 hole are easier to clean than turbines are and they show off the red brakes better, but i wonder if they are more prone to buckling on our pothole filled roads? :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Alfred! Please let me know the V2 model once you checked. Did quite a bit of research, and I guess it should be different, since apparently the V2 model has a 4.3" display, whereas the Go 1005 model has a 5" display, and seems to have more features! Wondering if they made it B&M compatible, or it inherently is.. I didn't see any signs of Blue&Me on the box though!

I also just noticed that the Live functionality (i.e., TomTom B&M V2) is not available in Switzerland according to Blue&Me website (under Availability and Compatibility):
http://www.blueandme.net/blueandme/index.aspx?brand=fga&lang=en#/products/tomtom2/

Could it be why they sell another model?! I really want to have the Media Player and Fuel Efficiency functions :(

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Thanks Alfred! Please let me know the V2 model once you checked. Did quite a bit of research, and I guess it should be different, since apparently the V2 model has a 4.3" display, whereas the Go 1005 model has a 5" display, and seems to have more features! Wondering if they made it B&M compatible, or it inherently is.. I didn't see any signs of Blue&Me on the box though!

I also just noticed that the Live functionality (i.e., TomTom B&M V2) is not available in Switzerland according to Blue&Me website (under Availability and Compatibility):
http://www.blueandme.net/blueandme/index.aspx?brand=fga&lang=en#/products/tomtom2/

Could it be why they sell another model?! I really want to have the Media Player and Fuel Efficiency functions :(
Right, on the bottom of my unit it says TomTom GO model:4CS01

The screen measures 11cm so it must be the tomtom go 1000 not 1005.

I wonder if your dealer trying to sell you a standard go 1005 then that doesn't use the dock to go into the dash?
Did you order the dash port?
I find the Media player very useful and makes navigating my music collection a lot easier than from the wheel.
Unfortunately it only works with music in your usb device. When you play a CD it just shows that the music is paused.
The fuel efficiency function isnt great though. It is just a digital vacuum gauge of sorts.
Even during hard acceleration i haven't got it into the red band, and believe me i try :D

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, on the bottom of my unit it says TomTom GO model:4CS01

The screen measures 11cm so it must be the tomtom go 1000 not 1005.

I wonder if your dealer trying to sell you a standard go 1005 then that doesn't use the dock to go into the dash?
Did you order the dash port?
I find the Media player very useful and makes navigating my music collection a lot easier than from the wheel.
Unfortunately it only works with music in your usb device. When you play a CD it just shows that the music is paused.
The fuel efficiency function isnt great though. It is just a digital vacuum gauge of sorts.
Even during hard acceleration i haven't got it into the red band, and believe me i try :D

Hope this helps.
I ordered the dash port and the dealer says the device would fit in that! I also called Alfa hotline in Switzerland and they told me what the dealer sells should be compatible Blue&Me. But I still doubt since the box looks like a standard go 1005, and compatibility might just mean connection to bluetooth for calls! :( grrrr... any body else could help me on this?!

One more thing: If I buy the device on ebay or from outside Switzerland, will I have any problem installing it in the car?! Or should it just come through Alfa dealer?

Thanks for the info on the Media Player, I would definitely like to have it even if it only works for usb :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ordered the Blue&Me Tomtom 2 Live from partsuno.de. No problems since second pairing attempt. If you have the new 68k option in the dashboard it should connect just fine. I didn't order it from alfa dealer because they weren't sure if it was the Live version they were selling here. The Blue&Me website still states that the Live version is not available here in Finland. You should be aware that there exists 2 versions of BlueMe Tomtom 2. The Live and the non-Live.

The Blue&Me Tomtom 2 media player connection is made through bluetooth so you can actually hand the unit to a passenger who wants to browse the music files in the Blue&Me usb port. The unit sends the driving directions to the drivers screen at the same time!

I don't know if the 1005 can show the blue&me mediaplayer info at all. I even doubt that it fits to the MyPort holder? I believe that the connector is a standard one, but the clearance in vertical direction might just not be enough for the holder to fasten the unit properly.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I updated my tomtom last night as my pc has been telling me there are updates for about a week or so.
Used it today and the car menu now shows a Red G rather than a generic car, and my car icon (arrow) is now a white G :) rather than a Blue Mito.
The dash distance still doesnt match the tomtom though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered the Blue&Me Tomtom 2 Live from partsuno.de. No problems since second pairing attempt. If you have the new 68k option in the dashboard it should connect just fine. I didn't order it from alfa dealer because they weren't sure if it was the Live version they were selling here. The Blue&Me website still states that the Live version is not available here in Finland. You should be aware that there exists 2 versions of BlueMe Tomtom 2. The Live and the non-Live.

The Blue&Me Tomtom 2 media player connection is made through bluetooth so you can actually hand the unit to a passenger who wants to browse the music files in the Blue&Me usb port. The unit sends the driving directions to the drivers screen at the same time!

I don't know if the 1005 can show the blue&me mediaplayer info at all. I even doubt that it fits to the MyPort holder? I believe that the connector is a standard one, but the clearance in vertical direction might just not be enough for the holder to fasten the unit properly.
Good to know that you could get the Live version in Finland! It's stated that it's not available in Switzerland either. So does the live functions work? Can you get live traffic and do google search?! That would be awesome!

The dealer tells me that the 1005 device connects via bluetooth to Blue&Me, that's for sure. Would that mean that I can access the media player?! Or a bluetooth connection wouldn't guarantee that necessarily, and might just mean connection for making calls, etc.? I guess if I'm not sure on this, I would then go ahead myself and order a TomTom2 Live version online... although the 1005 seems to have more functions and bigger screen...

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Good to know that you could get the Live version in Finland! It's stated that it's not available in Switzerland either. So does the live functions work? Can you get live traffic and do google search?! That would be awesome!

The dealer tells me that the 1005 device connects via bluetooth to Blue&Me, that's for sure. Would that mean that I can access the media player?! Or a bluetooth connection wouldn't guarantee that necessarily, and might just mean connection for making calls, etc.? I guess if I'm not sure on this, I would then go ahead myself and order a TomTom2 Live version online... although the 1005 seems to have more functions and bigger screen...
My concern would be that the mount for a 1005 would be a window sucker type & that you need to trail a cable down to the socket.
If the tomtom 1005 unit is bigger (i assume it is if the screen is) then it would not fit in the Alfa dashboard mount holder.
If you have paid the extra for the my tomtom port then i wouldn't be happy to make do with an off the shelf tomtom that i could have got from a local car accessory shop (probably for less money).
As well as paying for a dash port you will also have lost the dash glove/sunglasses box.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My concern would be that the mount for a 1005 would be a window sucker type & that you need to trail a cable down to the socket.
If the tomtom 1005 unit is bigger (i assume it is if the screen is) then it would not fit in the Alfa dashboard mount holder.
If you have paid the extra for the my tomtom port then i wouldn't be happy to make do with an off the shelf tomtom that i could have got from a local car accessory shop (probably for less money).
As well as paying for a dash port you will also have lost the dash glove/sunglasses box.
The dealer confirms that it would fit in the dash port, and they said they have recently installed one on another car! I should double check this any way... I myself would not like to get a windows sucker at all, I would go for the RadioNav if so! I'll give you update on this :) Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have to question your dealer, i have a Tomtom go live 1000 and i just went out to try to connect it to the Blue&Me i my G (again), there where no luck, it just doesn't find the Blue&Me and Blue&Me just states the 4 digit code you have to write on a phone, the Go 1000 and the go 1005 are the same apart from the screen size (4,3" vs 5") so i don´t see how you would be able to connect a standard go 1005 to Blue&Me.
Regarding the cradle, i don´t see how it could fit the 1005 when its made for the 1000, according to Tomtom the measures of the 1005 is 143mm (W) x 88mm (H) x 19mm (D) and the 1000 is 127mm (W) x 80mm (H) x 19mm (D) so unless the cradle have a 1 cm gap in the top, the go 1005 is not going to fit it. But i haven´t seen the cradle live so i don´t know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to question your dealer, i have a Tomtom go live 1000 and i just went out to try to connect it to the Blue&Me i my G (again), there where no luck, it just doesn't find the Blue&Me and Blue&Me just states the 4 digit code you have to write on a phone, the Go 1000 and the go 1005 are the same apart from the screen size (4,3" vs 5") so i don´t see how you would be able to connect a standard go 1005 to Blue&Me.
Regarding the cradle, i don´t see how it could fit the 1005 when its made for the 1000, according to Tomtom the measures of the 1005 is 143mm (W) x 88mm (H) x 19mm (D) and the 1000 is 127mm (W) x 80mm (H) x 19mm (D) so unless the cradle have a 1 cm gap in the top, the go 1005 is not going to fit it. But i haven´t seen the cradle live so i don´t know.
Very good points, thanks Arvid! I'll challenge the dealer on these :) I guess I'll end up buying a Blue&Me TomTom 2 Live on ebay.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was just talking to a guy from the DK alfaclub, and the 5" tomtom does fit the cradle, its not a perfect, but it doesent fall out, but he has been talking to tomtom about connecting a 1005 to the Blue&Me system, and there is nothing to do, the software is not the same and tomtom Will not help in any way, so it does NOT connect to Blue&Me period!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some updates that confirm Arvid's post... I just called TomTom and here's the summary of what I figured out

- TomTom Go Live 1005 is a better device than Blue&Me TomTom 2, comes with more functions, HD traffic, Google Search, etc.
- TomTom Go Live 1005 is not compatible with Blue&Me, so it would be an independent device (but much better for navigation)
- The live functions of Blue&Me TomTom 2 do not work in Switzerland (and many other EU countries) :( That's why they don't sell the live version in Swiss market and it does not appear on TomTom Swiss site either.
- If I need integration with Blue&Me, they suggested that I buy the Blue&Me TomTom 2 non-live version.

Also, in the end, the guy mentioned some stuff that I could still receive traffic info on the non-live version if I buy some other small device (maybe a TMC antenna or something?!) from TomTom later on. Honestly I didn't get how it worked exactly! Do you guys have any idea?!

And for the ones who have Blue&Me TomTom 2 Live, do the live functions work outside your country? Or is it coupled to your phone data connection?

Considering all the above, which device would you buy? Go 1005, B&M non-live or B&M live (from ebay)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
All the Live functions work in Finland although the Blue&Me site states otherwise. Blue&Me's live functionality is the same as found in other 1000 series tomtoms. Tomtom sells also Live versions of their 1000 series here and therefore I took a risk and ordered Blue&Me Tomtom 2 Live from germany. If tomtom sells live versions of their navigators in Your country i'd guess the live functionality of Blue&Me tomtom 2 Live also works. Haven't tested this abroad though. Tomtom Live navigators have their own integrated sim cards so they don't need to be coupled to a phone.

I'd suggest not to buy navigator from a car dealer unless you want to have an integrated one. Also there are still many new model problems with tomtom 1000 series. You should check their forum to find out if there too many problems for your taste. The problems i've had so far are the uncertain behaviour of speed cams, and missing speed cams, unable to download own colourschemes etc. 50km poi limit, no map saharing etc... These are all common 1000- series problems. The Blue&Me -version has some instability issues if the autopower-off-when-disconnected-form-external-power -funcion is cancelled. Also the right car symbol for the navigator view and the car-menu took couple of syncings and pairing-attempts.

My overall impression of this device is a bit disappointed compared to navigator systems found in iphones. For example there's no log of where You have been. As an integrated car navigator this is still the best i've seen.

I wanted an integrated navigator with the proper traffic info. The Blue&Me was the only option, since the radionav graphics looked awful and it was more than lost most of the time. For a non integrated i'd buy a holder for a smartphone or look other makes and models than those based on tomtom 1000 -series.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All the Live functions work in Finland although the Blue&Me site states otherwise. Blue&Me's live functionality is the same as found in other 1000 series tomtoms. Tomtom sells also Live versions of their 1000 series here and therefore I took a risk and ordered Blue&Me Tomtom 2 Live from germany. If tomtom sells live versions of their navigators in Your country i'd guess the live functionality of Blue&Me tomtom 2 Live also works. Haven't tested this abroad though. Tomtom Live navigators have their own integrated sim cards so they don't need to be coupled to a phone.
That's pretty good news! They sell the live versions of Go 1000 and 1005 here. So based on what you say, Blue&Me TomTom 2 Live might as well work here (though TomTom did not confirm this!). I guess I'll go ahead and order a Blue&Me Live version from ebay. Worth taking the risk. Plus anyway I want the integration, so worst case would be that the live functions do not work :) The only bad news here is that if live functions don't work, there's no way you could have live traffic even with a TMC receiver, since it should be plugged into the device port which is already connected to My Port, and basically would make the integration useless!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts