Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After much research on here, I've just had the Westfalia removable towbar fitted by PFJones. I have a few questions for other owners...

1) Do the parking sensors still operate when the towbar electrics are hooked up? Mine do (dedicated 13-pin kit) even though PF Jones website says they should be cut off.

2) The installer did not remount the socket higher so it's a bit of an eye sore. He said there was no point as the safety loop would still poke out. Can anyone post a picture of the revised location so that I can have this remounted (also the size and shape of the bumper cutout)? Does it need to be welded in the new position?

3) Technically two cuts are required in the bumper. The higher one is omitted as it would look rubbish, however the side effect is that the bumper is slightly further back which means that the rear edge fouls on the safety loop and does not sit flat (slightly raised in the centre). Does anyone else have this issue?

4) Does anyone else have the B+ addition (for charging caravan leisure batteries on the move)? Despite not owning or planning to own a caravan, I had this added as it was pretty cheap. However apparently it's not a dedicated wiring and requires a solder joint?

Overall I'm very pleased. The Alfa looks great with 4 bikes on the back when compared to the other mundane vehicles in the local single-track car park.

Ian A.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
My car is the same as yours barring the 4 wheel drive, but I've got a factory fitted Brink removable tow bar. When reversing, the parking sensors kick in when there are bikes on the back, not a major problem and it hopefully makes me well aware. It does look a bit of a mess on mine, especially as the plate with the electrics on has been bashed a t some point. I'll put a little pic of it without it's cover on, defo looks a bit crap.

Anyway it seems to work well, I bought a 4 bike Buzzrack buzz quattro rack, it's solid as a rock, but it's a couple of kilos heavier than that Thule one you have, still, it was only £250 and our MTB's are pretty light anyway. We went camping in the summer, roofbox full, bike rack on and never bottomed out. Car pulled like there it an empty car, totally effortless. Got a touch scary when we got on the Isle of Wight ferry and were ushered up the onboard (very steep) ramp.

It still doesn't seem right having all that weight hanging off a piece of metal though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Nice islabike, probably got more residual value than the alfa!
Amazing how Kid's bikes hold their value, especially Islabikes, what a cracking idea they were. I sold a 2 year old Specialized Hotrock for very little less than i paid. Of course now a couple of others have jumped on the idea of stripped down Kid's bikes, Chris Hoy's are great and because I didn't wanna pay for an Islabike, i got my Son a Frog which is great and 2 kilos lighter than my daughter's Lapierre (think the forks are filled with lead shot)

Can't beat a Sportwagon with bikes on the back:D

Reactions: Singatini

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amazing how Kid's bikes hold their value, especially Islabikes, what a cracking idea they were. I sold a 2 year old Specialized Hotrock for very little less than i paid. Of course now a couple of others have jumped on the idea of stripped down Kid's bikes, Chris Hoy's are great and because I didn't wanna pay for an Islabike, i got my Son a Frog which is great and 2 kilos lighter than my daughter's Lapierre (think the forks are filled with lead shot)

Can't beat a Sportwagon with bikes on the back:D
Yep, I was originally intending to buy a bike for £100, however I found that you could buy an Islabike and lose less than that due to the resale value. The 16" Specialized Hotrock for youngest daughter travels in the boot. My mum's bike usually sits on the last rail.

I also transport up to 5 mates and full bikes to the local bike park. They didn't believe they would all fit first time out. The only issue is allowing 5 sweaty and dirty blokes into the Alfa, however they do seem to understand why I make them sit on towels! :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car is the same as yours barring the 4 wheel drive, but I've got a factory fitted Brink removable tow bar. When reversing, the parking sensors kick in when there are bikes on the back, not a major problem and it hopefully makes me well aware. It does look a bit of a mess on mine, especially as the plate with the electrics on has been bashed a t some point. I'll put a little pic of it without it's cover on, defo looks a bit crap.

Anyway it seems to work well, I bought a 4 bike Buzzrack buzz quattro rack, it's solid as a rock, but it's a couple of kilos heavier than that Thule one you have, still, it was only £250 and our MTB's are pretty light anyway. We went camping in the summer, roofbox full, bike rack on and never bottomed out. Car pulled like there it an empty car, totally effortless. Got a touch scary when we got on the Isle of Wight ferry and were ushered up the onboard (very steep) ramp.

It still doesn't seem right having all that weight hanging off a piece of metal though.
OK, good to hear that the PDC activation is normal. As you say it is a good reminder that you need to watch where you're going.

The Thule rack is excellent, however I don't understand the physics of how such a heavy rig with that much leverage does not rotate around the metal ball on the end of the tow bar. I would also say that the combination of Ti suspension plus a full load of people and kit does tend to set off a harmonic wobble over the worst potholes. Looks a little alarming out of the back window, I'm still learning to ignore it! :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Ive got a removable swan neck for the westfalia 159 towbar if anyone wants it? I forgot to put it the 159 saloon i sold a couple of years ago :what:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update to this thread. The PDC CAN be disabled when the towbar is in use on the Westfalia system. The brown/white wire needs to be connected to the PDC control unit!

No more BEEEP when reversing with the cycle carrier, bliss!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts