Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I note low mileage GTA's are now priced around 12k whereas an average mileage example around 8k. Do you consider mileage an important factor when buying a GTA, i.e. would you pay 12k for lower mileage / less wear or spend 8K then 2-3k to have it fully sorted?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I paid £13k for my low mileage (20,000) GTA when it was 3 years old (53 plate) from mango's and would only expect to pay this much for a low mileage 2006 car now.

Personally if i was spending £8k on a 2004 GTA then i would not expect to spend 2-3K on it to get it sorted i would only expect to pay for the Q2 diff everything else should be up to scratch.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
agree with barryrs, 12000 pounds seems high for a gta, a rare low mileage 156 gta selespeed didnt even make that sort of money

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
How it's looked after is far more important to me than mileage.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
How it's looked after is far more important to me than mileage.
I'll add plus what options the original owner plonked on it. Original Owner of my car paid £26K for it in November 2003. Basic OTR was £22,750. I'd say that Nuvola White and Xenons (£1,800) would bump the price up a bit over less spec'd cars. And it also depends on how many are on the market, there's seems to be gluts of selling and buying where quite a few people decide to sell at the same time which is odd, like women in offices whose periods get synchronised.

Not sure wher I'm going with this to be honest, um but I agree with badgers ballsack :)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Not sure wher I'm going with this to be honest, um but I agree with badgers ballsack :)
:lol: I also agree with you, what extras it has are important. At about a grand, 330 brakes are unlikely to ever be done if you buy one without, so they are worth paying a bit extra for IMO.

As a buyer, if it has all the toys, you're a bit more likely to pay more than you originally intended, as I did. It always comes down to personal preference of the buyer. Something like colour and interior colour are subjective. I didn't like some of the combos that other people find desirable, so a car would be worth less to me than it might to someone else (usually the seller!).

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Personally I think £12k is quite optimistic, even for a dealer sale of any GTA. Personally I would expect a fully sorted GTA for £8k private sale while one requiring attention to be around the £5k mark. I think petrol prices will start to drag these cars down again soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I'm surprised prices are holding up given economic climate and cost of fuel. There doesn't appear to be any supply issue either.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I'm surprised prices are holding up given economic climate and cost of fuel.
I'm not sure they are necessarily. Not too many of the more expensive ones seem to be changing hands.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I'd expect a low mile mint 147 could sell easily for £10k, as they have done. If the seller is in no real hurry and can wait a few months he could probably push for close to £11k? If I were selling mine I'd be tempted to ask for £12k though as come the summer I can see there being people willing to spend that sort of money provided the seller puts the effort in and holds out for it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Not sure the options really make that much of a difference, Nuvola white is probably the only thing that could command a premium. And I'd *definately* buy on condition rather than mileage, you can see some really ropey low-mileage examples.

I've still got the original receipt for mine somewhere, just over £29k!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Personally I think £12k is quite optimistic, even for a dealer sale of any GTA. Personally I would expect a fully sorted GTA for £8k private sale while one requiring attention to be around the £5k mark. I think petrol prices will start to drag these cars down again soon.
Fully sorted for £8k - is low, for £5k it would have to be a no options, starship miles, 305 disc set-up and need £1000's spending.

A 1st class GTA is going to command premium money. I would spend £12k on a perfect GTA and it would have to be a (like hens teeth) sportwagon, I might even spend more. As for a selespeed, I'm not sure because selespeeds do not have a great reputation and might count against the value (I know the GTA selespeed system is different from a normal 156)..... but then I would say all this, because I own a GTA as described :)

Different car - I was looking at 3200's (just about the only thing I could swap the GTA for) yesterday (I would like one but am worried about possible maintenance costs), very low miles (approx 20k) dry use 3200's were up for about £5k more than same spec examples with just 45k on the clock.

Provenance on a car like a GTA counts for everything, and that's why you will see vast differences in the price of a GTA.

I'm probably the stupid one here - but if I wanted the absolute best of something, that is almost impossible to find, I would pay over the odds and spend the extra in the hope (belief) that if I were to sell that item on, someone else would have the same view as me and it would be a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Fully sorted for £8k - is low, for £5k it would have to be a no options, starship miles, 305 disc set-up and need £1000's spending.

A 1st class GTA is going to command premium money. I would spend £12k on a perfect GTA and it would have to be a (like hens teeth) sportwagon, I might even spend more. As for a selespeed, I'm not sure because selespeeds do not have a great reputation and might count against the value (I know the GTA selespeed system is different from a normal 156)..... but then I would say all this, because I own a GTA as described :)

Different car - I was looking at 3200's (just about the only thing I could swap the GTA for) yesterday (I would like one but am worried about possible maintenance costs), very low miles (approx 20k) dry use 3200's were up for about £5k more than same spec examples with just 45k on the clock.

Provenance on a car like a GTA counts for everything, and that's why you will see vast differences in the price of a GTA.

I'm probably the stupid one here - but if I wanted the absolute best of something, that is almost impossible to find, I would pay over the odds and spend the extra in the hope (belief) that if I were to sell that item on, someone else would have the same view as me and it would be a worthwhile investment.
Off course there will be exceptions but I think the £12k is steep for a private sales for anything but the newest, most exceptional car and the most avid buyer. I viewed a very well sorted late 147 GTA in the right colour combinsation about 3-4 months back had the works, Q2, Cambelt, FSD, Eibach, low mileage etc, available for £9k possibly a little less. I almost bought a 147 GTA 54 plate about 2 years ago, 30k miles, £12k from a dealer, that was mint. I wouldn't expect to be paying anything like that today and with fuel prices sky rocketting again it's not going to help.

Personally I don't buy the 305 brake issue, sure they uprated them but the 305 is not a showstopper and recall a thread where there were more warped 330 discs than 305s! It would be one of the lower factors when looking at a GTA.

Despite seeing a few 147 GTAs over the years every time I think about buying I haven't got the buzz from them. I'm not sure what it is but the 147 GTA has never felt that special compared with the 156 GTA. Strangely the 147 GTA has always felt slower too?

I don't own a GTA at the moment but I'm pretty sure the general way these things go is people who own them big up the value, those that don't (but might consider dipping their toes again ;)) will say they are overpriced.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I don't own a GTA at the moment but I'm pretty sure the general way these things go is people who own them big up the value, those that don't (but might consider dipping their toes again ;)) will say they are overpriced.
:thumbs: Spot on. I don't want to devalue my car, but 12k? Come on.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Off course there will be exceptions but I think the £12k is
Another perfect post from Mr Caine!

I couldn't have put it better.

Recently a 14,000 mile 156 GTA SW in the perfect colour combo (for me anyway) was up for the £12k mark from a main dealer, I wish i'd had the cash to buy it, it hung around for a while then sold! At that time, it was the highest priced GTA on the market, now every dealer thinks any GTA is worth that.........and more!

Most of the higher priced GTAs are STILL for sale, just look on the Autotrader site (at least one has been for sale for over 12 months).

I liken the prices people are asking to my Ebay experience:

I thought i'd try it on and listed an original Jim'll Fix It Badge for £500 and it sold immediately.
Turns out it was bought by a wealthy serious collector!
After seeing my sale the bandwagon started and Ebay was the flooded with badges with high asking prices, very few of them sold!
Just because one or two sold for a high price doesn't mean that is what there are worth, my sale was a one off and sold to someone with more money than sense.

Having said that, as Mr Caine suggests, if I owned a GTA then I may have a different theory on prices!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would think that due to the rarity of the cars and the fact that they are a "cult classic" like the z3m coupe, original focus rs, audi rs2, they will hit a point within a few years where the prices dont fluctuate that much beyond a certain point, say £7500 depending on market sentiment at the time. Expect to pay + £2k for a fully sorted mint example and -£2k for one needing a little work.

Only enthusiasts buy these cars, with only around 250 147gtas left in the country, I would think that it would hit a point where if somebody wants a gta, they are going to have to pay (within reason) whatever is asked for it.

Ive not had mine for long, and will not be getting shot of it anytime soon. If it had to go in a few months then on condition alone I wouldnt expect less than £8k for it, with q2 fitted and pud's "wizard" exhaust. That would be a realistic price as far as I'm concerned, however +£1k if I was being an ambitious seller and -£1k if I wanted my hand bitten off.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
I love the GTA but then I'm an enthusiast. Other than a great engine I can honestly say I've driven better cars; steering is a little short of feel, driving position awkward and it shakes your bones. So what's makes it any better to say a 166 V6 which are priced significantly less? If the 166 had a body kit and GTA badge would it command the same price? For me a GTA is a proper racing car i.e. lightened whereas the 147/156 is a little on the heavy side.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Where you put the car for sale also has an effect on the price it sells for. I reckon the only place to sell a fully sorted GTA and get what it's really worth would be on here or the other Alfa sites. And maybe, just maybe PH.

No way would I ever trade in or e-gay my car if I ever decide to sell.

Using mine as an example -

- Who else but an AO'er would know exactly what needs to be done on a 64k mile GTA to keep it in top condition - FSH, Q2, belts, clutch, suspension bits, metal water pump etc.

- My car has been lowered - to AO'ers it has one of the best set-up's avaliable for these cars (FSD & Eibach) which solves many a problem

- I've got non-standard alloys - to AO'ers I've got the desirable and hard to get Alfa GT 18" multi's

- Joe Public has no idea who Ned at Autolusso is - so when I tell them to talk to Ned about how good the car is they just think it's some greasy spanner monkey mechanic ;)

- Supersprint exhaust & BMC CDA - 'modified' but you all know these things are about enhancing the glorious noise and completely reversable if you so wish (with the big box of bits I have)

Also I would hope that if any AO'er was ever to buy my car then they could trust me to be honest as I've been around here for a bitand have met a few of you

Advertise on Autotrader/E-bay and I would only expect a stream of calls from test pilots, agencies/brokers and dodgy offers from Nigeria.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I popped my car on here for the last couple of weeks and had more than a few biting my arm off for the £8500 asking price. It's done just over 50K, recent Q2, clutch, belts, GTV water pump etc.

I was only going to sell it due to lack of recent use and 2 other cars.

Then I decided I would regret it too much so am keeping it!!

I think a well sorted GTA should go for 8-10K, anything more must be very good. Anything less I would be very wary.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts