Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've replaced a wheel bearing on a friends astra van. It has a cartridge bearing not a compression type. Took the old one off and fitted the new one. The shaft sits slightly further through the hub than the old one. This means that if I pinch it up the nut goes on further. But this make the split pin on the castle nut redundant. Not really sure how to solve this problem :confused:. Do I leave it pinched up and use the split pin or tighten it how I'd like it and not use it. I could put another washer in it to space the nut out. Your thoughts?

K

·
0 Posts
If the driveshaft is sticking out of the hub further, doesn't that mean that the hub is going to be closer to the gearbox, effectively shortening the driveshaft and throwing the camber out or have I missed something?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The astra is built in much the same way as the 156 bearing assembly. The bearing and hub are fitted into a spider that is bolted from behind via 3 bolts (rather than 4 from the front on the 156 . I checked the flange spacing against the old one. From spider mating surface to flange the distance is identical. So no camber issue or anything else. I think the beaing itself muct be a mm less in width than the original. This means that when the saftt mates into the hub it just sits further through slightly. If it had a hub nut like alfa it wouldn't have mattered as you would have pinched up that bit extra and folded the lip over. The part is a patern part as my friend didn't want to use a vauxhall original to save money. this is a Vetach component from GSF. Fitting a thicker washer will solve the problem but I wanted to see what other people thought of this idea.

K

·
0 Posts
So effectively the hub nut is going further into the hub?

A big nyloc might be an alternative?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fitted a fatter washer. Job jobbed :thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts