Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some thoughts would be appreciated. My GTV is in good nick, goes well, causes minimal problems and I still love it but...I am being seduced by the idea of owning a Honda s2000. I have not driven one as yet, so my question is, have any of you guys driven/owned one and what were your impressions?

Will it disappoint or will I want to sell the Alfa and buy one? I have never owned or even considered owning a Japanese car before so as I say I'm in a bit of a qaundry about it. I have had the GTV nearly 3 years and maybe it's why I am thinking about a change.

Anyway, should I pursue this idea further??

Thoughts appreciated :confused:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had an S2000 a few years ago - good cars but rather different to the GTV. Quite a bit quicker but you do need to wring the engine up to the 9k red line to get the most out of it. Sounds good with the lid removed from the air box so you can hear the induction roar, but not in the same league as the Alfa V6. Mine was a 2006 model so the tricky on-the-limit handling problems had been pretty much sorted. Electric hood is really good - goes up/down in 6-7 seconds.

The cabin is rather snug, and that's being charitable. This was one of the reasons I decided to get rid of it. It's fine when you're just out for a hoon, but when it's an everyday car the cramped conditions became a nuisance.

Boot space is pretty good - certainly no worse than the GTV's joke of a boot. Fuel consumption is a better than the V6 unless you're in the VTEC zone all the time.

Handling is better and of course it's RWD.

Early S2000s can be picked up for top GTV V6 money but these will be the ones with tricky handling. Also, IIRC early cars have problems with replacing bushes as the bolts can seize meaning the whole suspension arms need replacing, which can mean £2k bills if all bushes need replacing.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've put a couple of thousand miles on a friends S2K and it's a fabulous machine. Judas covered most of the essentials in his piece above. Nice car - worthy upgrade from your GTV!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I fear I am going to have to test drive one.

G

·
I think there was a statistic on those that, of all of the ones of that model on the road enjoy the highest percentage of total loss insurance claims than any other vehicle model! Can anyone confirm this? Pobably due to the rear wheel drive setup and high power? A proper car!!!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I was going to mention the widowmaker reputation but from earlier posts it seems it may have been a trait of earlier versions only. The story is I knew of someone trundling carefully up a rain sodden M74 at less than the speed limit when the tail shot away in standing water and they disappeared off the carriageway and over the embankment backwards, narrowly missing a bridge abutment, apparently for no reason at all. Thats just not GTV behaviour. And if you are a V6 driver, neither is having to rev the nuts off it to make it go.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
As many GTVs get their suspension upgraded, I assume the early S2000s can have their shocks and springs altered to be like the more benign handling later cars?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Early S2000s can be picked up for top GTV V6 money but these will be the ones with tricky handling. Also, IIRC early cars have problems with replacing bushes as the bolts can seize meaning the whole suspension arms need replacing, which can mean £2k bills if all bushes need replacing.
Gee and I thought they were supposed to be "the most reliable car ever".

Proof that expensive car = expensive bills down the track

1 - 10 of 10 Posts