Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all - I think this is my first post on this site.

I've just got a track focused sprint after 3 years without an Alfa. I am very happy about this. Its red, road legal and will hopefully be seen in the north and at sprints/hillclimbs in 2010.

I want an LSD in it. It was one thing my old S2 33 1.7 could have done with.

I had a clutch / plate style LSD in a 75 and didn't like that all too much so I'd really like a Quaife style LSD.

I know people on this site have tried to get groups together to order a batch of 10 but thats never really worked.

Has anyone actually managed a group of 7, 8 or 9 to go to Quaife. I can make that number up to 10 - I have put aside a reasonable sum for developing and maintaining the sprint and don't mind having a couple of ATB LSDs the shelf for future use/bribes/or for use in trading for other hens teeth items such as body panels. I don't really want to start a group myself -just happy to join someone elses.

Alternatively is there any other solution to getting an ATB LSD - even if that costs a bit more than the £600 or so quoted by Quaife.

Grateful for any thoughts.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Morning all - I think this is my first post on this site.

I've just got a track focused sprint after 3 years without an Alfa. I am very happy about this. Its red, road legal and will hopefully be seen in the north and at sprints/hillclimbs in 2010.

I want an LSD in it. It was one thing my old S2 33 1.7 could have done with.

I had a clutch / plate style LSD in a 75 and didn't like that all too much so I'd really like a Quaife style LSD.

I know people on this site have tried to get groups together to order a batch of 10 but thats never really worked.

Has anyone actually managed a group of 7, 8 or 9 to go to Quaife. I can make that number up to 10 - I have put aside a reasonable sum for developing and maintaining the sprint and don't mind having a couple of ATB LSDs the shelf for future use/bribes/or for use in trading for other hens teeth items such as body panels. I don't really want to start a group myself -just happy to join someone elses.

Alternatively is there any other solution to getting an ATB LSD - even if that costs a bit more than the £600 or so quoted by Quaife.

Grateful for any thoughts.
I've gone with Gripper, I'd be tempted to buy a Quaife if the group buy ever happens or if one were to pop up on ebay at some point... Gripper quoting me a lead time of 2 weeks at present, hopefully my gearbox will be back together during Feb.

G

·
adie (AHM) can do them for a one off, he's offered before on here on similar threads :thumbs:

AH Motorsports

£625 for the 33/sud/sprint type, made to order to suit what you are intending to use them for ;)

he does come on here from time to time, may pick up this thread or just try PM'ing him. but i think going via his website/phone contact would be better/easier ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
adie (AHM) can do them for a one off, he's offered before on here on similar threads :thumbs:

AH Motorsports

£625 for the 33/sud/sprint type, made to order to suit what you are intending to use them for ;)

he does come on here from time to time, may pick up this thread or just try PM'ing him. but i think going via his website/phone contact would be better/easier ;)
I think his are plate style not Torque Biasing and I should add I believe and understand there is nothing wrong with plate style, particularly if you are a talented driver. I am not a talented driver. I am heavy footed and quite lazy. My car also has dual track and road use so its an ATB I am really after.

G

·
I think his are plate style not Torque Biasing and I should add I believe and understand there is nothing wrong with plate style, particularly if you are a talented driver. I am not a talented driver. I am heavy footed and quite lazy. My car also has dual track and road use so its an ATB I am really after.
fair enough, but i think there has never been enough interest to get more than 4 or 5 to commit to the quaife ones.

will be worth asking adie, i know he can set them up as soft or severe as required, but it's your choice of course :thumbs: could be that the one you had in the 75 was a bit too severe??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've spoken to Quaife as others have and the minimum order is 10. This gets them to supply at the normal Quaife price of approx £500 plus VAT for an ATB diff (might even be a little bit of discount) or you can have one made one off for roughly £2,500.

I like these diff's so much I am seriously thinking about the £2,500 one off option. However, I am prepared to order 10 if I can find at least five people who seriously (and no messing about) want to buy one each from me at post VAT cost to me plus postage. I'll then try and sell on another 2 and keep 3 - one for my car and two for spare/other cars etc. Quaife are fine with this.

People have tried for a group of 10 to get Quaife to manufacture and failed because getting 10 people together seems very difficult. I'm prepared to take some financial risk by bearing the cost of 5. So how about a group of 5?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi Andy,
I would be interested in a Quaife ATB diff at £500 for future use. From what I have been told it is a 'fit and forget' unit. The plate type, which I had before, needed servicing every couple of years.
If you can get enough people for a group buy, count me in.
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi guys and girls

we offer the plate type lsd I use in my race car
set up correct they are so much better them the Quaife
thats why we sold the last one we had to Ian with
the white 33 road car
Quaife is a the best for fast road cars
no adjustment need ever etc

for race plate is the only way trust me
I have tried them all
getting old now :)
I will offer a deal on our lsds if you want to buy say 5 ?

Regards Adie

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hi Andy,

i'm trying to bring this thread back to life again:
AL33NUT, markp2 (still) and me LoneWolf33 would be interested,
with Joakim and you the quantity would be 6, if i counted correctly.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Tempting.. but there's so much else my 33 needs just to keep it alive that I'm wondering whether to spend the next round of money on it at all. =(
Someone with a spare £2000 should take the gamble on being able to resell the additional number of diffs required at a later date.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's been done several times before Ben but they can sit on the shelves for years, lots of people are interested but parting with hard earned money is another matter - whether it's lsd's, engine parts, exhausts, etc.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Andy,

I am interested, whats the production time at quaife, i droped my 1.2 box of with Charlie at cloverleaf transmissions for a rebuild on Friday, hes going to fit a gripper at the same time, i have not yet ordered
the gripper, dmpgripperapplications they quote £595 with the dreaded,
nearly £700, Aidys deal for 5no sounds good, individual set up, what would be the delivery time
from AHM, if Aidys price is reasonable i would possibly take 2. Liam

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Andy,

i'm trying to bring this thread back to life again:
AL33NUT, markp2 (still) and me LoneWolf33 would be interested,
with Joakim and you the quantity would be 6, if i counted correctly.
I'm still interested but not sure what we are concluding here. Addie (AHM) is offering a deal (not sure what yet) on their Plate LSD but would probably say that the Quaife is more appropriate for road use. Quaife would require an order of at least 10 but Quaife can be unreliable with regards to delivery. My needs are for the road as I don't intend to ever race this 33. So, where are we at? Which one are we going for? How much maintainance does a Plate LSD need if being used on the road?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If your gearbox is with Charlie, he will probably be aiming to do it in 3 weeks and it may take Quaife several months to get the tooling out to make some torque biasing differentials. Given that you might want to stick with a gripper if that is the road you were going down.

I think after my original post I got interest from 3 people which was not enough. What really turned me off is I got some questions off line about warrenties, VAT etc - I am a private individual - I cannot get hung up in offering a warrenty. If we order 10, Quaife will make at least 20 and hold 10 in stock and I imagine any purchasers will go for those Quaife direct sold 10 first meaning any private individual without firm orders for 10 who makes an investment of £5,000 plus in buying those 10 is going to be left with that investment sitting on their garage shelf, possibly for some time.

I had a plate style LSD in my Alfa 75 (they all do) and I didn't like it and, personal choice, if it was plate or nothing I'd take nothing but then everyone is different.

I'll gladly send a cheque for the cost of the LSD plus the VAT to the first person who can show me a completed order with Quaife hence I am "still in" in that sense.

·
Registered
335 Posts
So Andy what are you saying? If I'm understanding you correctly, you're not confident we can get the 10 people we need to complete the requirement from Quaife. OR are you saying that Quaife are unreliable at supplying? If we don't think this is a goer, I might just look at alternative jobs to do on my car and wait till a used Quaife LSD comes on the market (if I'm lucky).

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hi Andy

the way that I look at this is simple. the title of the thread is Quaiffe. This thread should be about people interested in a quaiffe diff not other types. If other people want to do a group buy for plate style diffs whether they be from AHM or Gripper then they should start a different thread.
My view is that for anything other than a competition car the quaiffe is more user friendly.
It took me a long time to get my Quaiffe.
Timing is my problem. If things go ok then come April next year I would be prepared to have at least 1 maybe 2. One spare and one to sell when nobody has got them again.
Would Quaiffe commit to only making 10? If so at least you are guaranteed to be first port of call when people want them.

rsfruitbat

1 - 20 of 23 Posts