Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I remember it, someone on this forum had a mate who worked at Quaife. As a new run of Alfa V6 diffs is due to start soon, I was wondering if anyone here can give me a heads up when the production run commences, as I've got one reserved. You might ask why not just ask Quaife directly. Well my experience has been that they are the most unresponsive company I have ever dealt with and the Aussie distributor almost as much trouble getting an answer. It took over 6 weeeks just to confirm my order. So if anyone knows anything, please pass it on. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Quaife do make bespoke stuff on request - through a VW forum recently I got in on a group buy for a Quaife quick-rack for my project Mk1 Golf. Took them about 9months to fabricate and produce. We needed numbers exceeding about 30 though...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sandys said:
Could always get a Q2 diff? :idea:
Yes, except I have already paid a substantial deposit on the Quaife and the Q2 is not available in Australia, so I wouldn't expect there to be any spare diffs in the country. But for those in the UK and Europe a very good idea.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How much does it cost you 147Owner, if you dont mind telling us ? :) A quaiffe diff for 206GTi would cost $850 (grp buy) - $1200(individual)

Also another question while I'm at it :p
Would it void the dealer warranty if you fit the LSD on ? Maybe I put it on a different way.... what sort of modification will the dealer tolerate until they void the warranty ?
(aftermarket exhaust, coilover, strutbrace is fine I suppose)

Cheers mate :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dantze said:
How much does it cost you 147Owner, if you dont mind telling us ? :) A quaiffe diff for 206GTi would cost $850 (grp buy) - $1200(individual)

Also another question while I'm at it :p
Would it void the dealer warranty if you fit the LSD on ? Maybe I put it on a different way.... what sort of modification will the dealer tolerate until they void the warranty ?
(aftermarket exhaust, coilover, strutbrace is fine I suppose)

Cheers mate :)
The price is $1950 plus freight. Not cheap, but less than an Autodelta diff. The price includes GST and duty (15%).

As for the warranty, that's not an issue for me, as the car is out of warranty. However, its worth noting that one of the main reasons I'm doing this is to fix a weak point in the car's design. The standard diff is not suitable for the performance of the vehicle and many owners have had diff failure which often includes gearbox and clutch damage and a $10,000 repair bill and an argument with Alfa Romeo Australia.

I figured as I really like this car and do the odd track day, this would be worth doing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
147 Owner, what year is the build of your car ?
I just give auscartalk.com a thorough read (Alfa romeo board) and those facts I found out about our diffs problems in Aus and the fact that ATECO is such a criminal regarding the warranty claims is just scary... :mad:

Not to mention that ATECO doesnt like the driver over-revving the car... while the car actually do have a rev-limiter which is there to prevent an over-rev... is just bizzare... ATECO must've thought that we are a bunch of idiots or something ??
It is a sports car or goodness sake, it meant to be driven hard.I'm not saying it is OK to abuse the car, but it is a sports car f it should be more tolerant to hard driving than regular cars. And an oil change every 5000kms if you really want your engine to be in tip top condition.

Anyway.... now I am a lil' bit scared to purchase a GTA, as I plan to do once / two trackdays per year with my next car.... and from the looks of it, if things just gonna fall apart and costing me $8-$16k then it may not be worth it...

My little 206 had only 1 problem ever since i bought it new.. and now it has done 52k kms.... not to mention I installed Jenvey QuadThrottleBody, EFI ECu, camshafts etc.... and still not a single problem. just normal wear and tear...
(oh, btw my car was on HOT4s ed.147 *showoff* :lol: )

I wonder how the Autodelta 147 GTAs differential cope with that 328 BHP the 3.7 engine is producing... :confused:

Darn this! I was really looking forward to buy the GTA but now.... maybe a 350z/RX-8... unless the GTA has an attractive price that makes me want to try my luck...:(

PS: Would newer build GTA has a better chance on surviving the Diffs breakdown? or are they still using the same stuff from the earlier build ?:confused:

Cheers :cool:
Dan

·
Registered
400 Posts
err... tat was precisely wat i thought when the 1st mention of Q2 diffs being available for diesel GTs & 147s...

BUT.... as it goes this is what is stated in a top gear test review of the GT coupe 1.9 JTDM with Q2:

It would be nice, too, to really test it with some of Alfa's more powerful cars too, like the 147 GTA or V6 GT. The trouble is, Alfa insists it's tested Q2 on these cars and the diff still isn't enough to stop the lack-of-traction issues they have. They'll need a full-on four-wheel-drive set-up similar to the 159 Q4, which Alfa has been testing on prototypes.
read: "lack of traction issues", on the GTA..... "need a full on 4wd set up similar to the 159"...... yes i agree, but come on... stating it matter of factly to the press when they are the ones who contributed to the design of the GTA?

Does it mean these guys deserve to lose their jobs for putting into production their flagship car which had "traction issues" AND "needed 4WD setup to solve it"?? :rolleyes: :rant:

or has everyone become so "jaded" (to put it nicely) by Alfa's products which are always "almost there but not quite" that they nonchalantly accept tat is the way it is with all alfas...?

Or maybe i'd rather hear them say; the GTA is a one off and it was a mistake to put 250bhp to the front wheels without any thought put into the traction issues tat will naturally come with it... current GTA owners will thus get a free reinforced LSD upgrade... OR they get a discount of 20% off on their next Brera GTA purchase... :rolleyes: :p :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Trying to put 250 bhp through the front wheels is a waste of time, no matter what transmission and traction control you have. Alfa should have followed the lead of Renault with the Clio v6:eek: but with more neutral handling.

John.

·
Registered
400 Posts
wasnt it Saab tat stated tat the most power a FWD car should ever have is 200bhp?

So is Saab shortsighted or is alfa just plain crazy?.

In any case, the GTA with all its flaws is still a very grippy car if driven properly. It obviously understeers if u are too fast into corners but I do not experience much torque steer. i must add tat for the amount of power thru those front wheels, IMHO it is 100% essential tat the stock car be at least upgraded with better suspension (preferably coilovers), have wider tyres up front - at least 8" width.

The brake issue more or less solved with the factory standard bigger 330 discs & bigger 4 pots for the later versions of the GTA... when i had my stock 147GTA with the 305mm discs & smaller 4 pots it was a nightmare since the GTA could deliver loads of power & speed quickly, but could not stop at all!!!

in any case, when u say transmission what do u mean by it? because it is very obvious a AWD transmission or a RWD tranny can take more than 250bhp... easily..... but wat u say is tat it is a waste of time.

anyhows, the Autodelta 3.7 GTA is the one to lay to rest any claims tat a well setup FWD car cant take more than 200 bhp, needless to say 250bhp...

so mod on brudders!:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I test drove a 147 ti today (facelifT) @ Lance Dixon Alfa...
Just like what Gbernard said, they are very friendly. Also when I mentioned about the GTA broken diffs... they didn't deny it. Apparently the salesperson whom I spoke to also had his wife's GT's differential broken, and he had a few GTAs with diffs problem. He drive a 156gta himself and it is a gem he reckon....

Anyway, I must say I am impressed with the 147 ti. For a daily driver it is very good.
Maybe I should convince my gf to get it :lol:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dantze said:
147 Owner, what year is the build of your car ?
I just give auscartalk.com a thorough read (Alfa romeo board) and those facts I found out about our diffs problems in Aus and the fact that ATECO is such a criminal regarding the warranty claims is just scary... :mad:

I wonder how the Autodelta 147 GTAs differential cope with that 328 BHP the 3.7 engine is producing... :confused:

Darn this! I was really looking forward to buy the GTA but now.... maybe a 350z/RX-8... unless the GTA has an attractive price that makes me want to try my luck...:(

PS: Would newer build GTA has a better chance on surviving the Diffs breakdown? or are they still using the same stuff from the earlier build ?:confused:

Cheers :cool:
Dan
My car is an original 2003 model and was an Alfa demonstrator. I've had no transmission or clutch problems and the car has been a joy to own. I've done a number of track days since I've had it as well. I'm not sure if newer is any better, mechanical wise, I think its the luck of the draw and your driving style. A number of much newer cars have had problems.

I have heard of other V6s also braking diffs, including GTVs and GT 3.2s. Because I really like the car, I've decided to address the problem by replacing the diff and as a bonus get better handling and track performance. On the track its performance is limited by a lack of traction, wheelspin is common even in third gear !!!

The 3.7 litre Autodelta cars also have limited slip diffs. I wouldn't consider trying to feed 328 bhp through an open diff.

·
Registered
400 Posts
i cant remember the terms, and im not to technically inclined but the LSD from Autodelta is of a more aggressive type and its likely u will have to do some wrestling when wringing out the full 328bhp in an AD 3.7...

the quaiffe LSD seems to be of a more "docile" nature in tat u can feel it doing its work only when ure really at the limits...

Oh ya, forgot to mention tat a GTA owner fren of mine had ordered his quaiffe diff by himself and got it landed and fitted here in singapore within abt 3 months or so... i tried his car, but not harshly since its not my ride.. it sure added a level of confidence through corners esp coupled with his H&R coilovers.

i believe if he can get it to spr & fitted properly, im sure u can too... good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yea dont get me wrong. I love the GTA, its just that these 'horror' stories about blown diffs and ateco reputation is putting me off somehow...
Hmmm however if I do bought a GTA in the end, for sure I will put an LSD whether its a quaife or the AD.

Sounds like you enjoy casual trackdays too 147Owner :)
we are going to have another track day this coming april @ Winton Raceway It's a private session. 40 cars, the whole track for us. from 8am - 5pm 8 cars per run, and its a 3Km track. cost would be about $100/person excluding yout ASSA license ($45/year and you could have as many trackdays/dragdays as you want, and for insurance purpose)

If you or any other alfisti are interested you are more than welcome to participate / spectate :) we are friendly and easy going people :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
A friend of mine and a member of alfisti.gr with a slightly modified GT 3.2V6 blew his diff, but it's how he did it that matters: He drove in tight racetracks in 2nd gear with his foot firmly on the gas pedal, his inner wheel spinning and smoking like crazy and his steering wheel in full lock. Many of us in alfisti.gr told him that this is the wrong way to drive such a car, that he wasn't actually doing good lap times and that he would blow either the gearbox or the diff but he wouldn't listen, he said he liked it this way. :eek: :rolleyes:

After he blew his diff during a race he went for an AD LSD and is still trying to learn how to drive the car again. I told him that he should forget his old driving style because the AD LSD will not let him drive like that and that it is very expensive to blow, let's hope he listens this time.

Other than that no broken V6 diffs here in alfisti.gr.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tron said:
i cant remember the terms, and im not to technically inclined but the LSD from Autodelta is of a more aggressive type and its likely u will have to do some wrestling when wringing out the full 328bhp in an AD 3.7...

the quaiffe LSD seems to be of a more "docile" nature in tat u can feel it doing its work only when ure really at the limits...

Oh ya, forgot to mention tat a GTA owner fren of mine had ordered his quaiffe diff by himself and got it landed and fitted here in singapore within abt 3 months or so... i tried his car, but not harshly since its not my ride.. it sure added a level of confidence through corners esp coupled with his H&R coilovers.

good luck!
Hi Tron, are you from Singapore ? I am actually from Indonesia hehe but the whole family migrated to Australia 7 years ago. :) Singapore is lovely place, good food, and lots of hot asian chix :D

anyway back to topic :p.... the AD LSD i think you meant it is a Clutch type LSD while the Quaife lsd is a torsen lsd.. I think I read Trailbraker's explanation somewhere on this forum. Pretty detailed. Plus you could always google it hehe.

cheers

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
147owner said:
As I remember it, someone on this forum had a mate who worked at Quaife.
Hi, that's me. He said "early in the new year" - I've chased him up and will let you know.

Re: some of the other questions on this thread, the Quaiffe diff is a torsen type diff, the AD one is a clutch type. The Torsen type has none of the side effects of a clutch-type on road (clonking/whining noises) and is maintenance-free even for high mileages (one of the reasons Ford chose it for the Focus RS). It is also very strong and able to take far more bhp/torque than anything even a supercharged 3.7l conversion of the Alfa lump can put out. The debit side is that a clutch-type diff is slightly better on track, for an all-rounder I'd have a torsen personally (indeed I'll have one in the GTA when I can afford it) having tried both.

The Alfa Q2 diff is a Torsen type. Why they made those silly comments is beyond me, the 156 platform has strong traction for a FWD setup anyway, and the suspension design suits a LSD as well. A Q2-style diff has to be a worthy addition to the aftermarket upgrades list, it will really help the car. If they don't want you to buy one from them, just buy the Quaife unit (see http://www.quaife.co.uk/ALFA-ROMEO-ATB-DIFFERENTIAL ).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts