Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday, I stopped at lights, selected N and applied the parking brake as I often do. On selecting D and manually switching off the parking brake as I tried to drive off it was clear that one or both parking brake calipers hadn't released.

I was able to turn left at the lights and stop. I only had to drive 20 metres tops.

On shutting down the car and waiting for a minute or two, on restarting all was well.

A software glitch rather than a mechanical problem, I presume.

There were no alarms showing at the time or since.

Anyone else experienced this?

Andy

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I don’t bother with Neutral, just apply the Ebrake in Drive at lights and then Drive off as the Ebrake releases automatically.

I used to do all that Neutral malarkey until RichardOfYork pointed out that you can just floor it in Drive.

Took some convincing, but I now use that method to prevent SS kicking in also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RichardOfYork

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not the same ,but….. I have a Stelvio QF.

I have a tricky entry to my garage and have to regulate speed - going on idle - with brakes. When releasing, it takes one or two seconds before vehicle does move. Nothing like that on previous X4 also with 8-speed ZF.

Also I am a "gentle-braker", and try to modulate braking to least possibel, but have to release brakes now- not on X4.

My reading: there is a large volym of brakefluid going back and forth in the many brake pistons, so it takes some time - causes a delay - at gentle braking.

I don´t know the design of parking brake - but if applied to brake system, you could have been too quick off the line. The thing is - if brakes had not released - you would have gotten nowhere.

Also, brakes squeek during my manouvres in the garage.

On the other hand - if you need to brake hard - Brembo delivers....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Anyone else experienced this?
Yep, I have had this happen a few times in the past. Although, touch wood not recently (last 12 months). I typically apply the parking brake in traffic in standing traffic or when waiting at lights.

When doing this my method is, with foot on brake, apply the parking brake, wait for the light on the instrument cluster to confirm this. Then take my foot off the brake. Since using this method I have never had parking brake stick on.

I think in the past when I had the issue i would follow the same procedure but I never waited for the confirmation on the instrument cluster. I think there's a software glitch which means the control software gets its knickers in a twist. Insufficient test coverage - software development joke :disappointed:

·
Registered
323 Posts
On both occasions this occurred, it was in rush hour traffic. Does sometimes fill me with dread when in heavy traffic...

Don't you just love temperamental Italian performance cars - LOL...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi, Andy. Never happened but why don`t keep the foot on the brake for the time at the light? I suppose it is easier then put it in N and hand brake..
But, then again not sure witch actions of the above will wear most the brake system.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, Andy. Never happened but why don`t keep the foot on the brake for the time at the light? I suppose it is easier then put it in N and hand brake..
But, then again not sure witch actions of the above will wear most the brake system.
There has been discussion on this before.

Keeping foot on the brake at night annoys the person behind.

More importantly, selecting neutral whilst slowing to a stop helps smoothness. The creep function of the Quadrifoglio's box wants to drive off as you ease the pressure on the brake pedal just before coming to rest.

So my practice for some time has been to select neutral by pulling up on both paddles when the speed gets down to a crawl and when stopped apply the parking brake.

I've only experienced the problem of the parking brake sticking on once in 21,000 miles and I'm reasonably sure it was a software glitch.

I do wonder though just how many operations the parking brake is good for.

Andy

·
Registered
63 Posts
So, I had the pleasure to have my parking brake stuck today on my Veloce.

This morning I was able to restart the car and everything worked again, a fault was shown however so I drove to the dealership.
They looked at it and I was good to go again they said.

Went back home and guess what. After working for a while at my house, I wanted to leave.
Get in car, start it up, parking brake does not come off!!!

Tried restarting couple of times, did not come off.

So I called assistance. They have been looking at it, disconnected battery (after that I get even more errors now).
They got under the car for releasing the plug at the right rear wheel, nothing solved it.

So we were calling to tow it away completely.

I got in the car and tried following and guess what, I was able to unlock the brakes, and the parking brake stayed off.

procedure: engine off -> push button e-brake, push brake pedal and start the car up -> it released the e-brake (which was stuck) we could hear the car do that. Got the car moving again.

Pushed after that the e-brake button a couple of times to get on and off, after 3 times e-brake stuck again.

aplied same trick again (the service people noted down what I did to release the brakes for future purpose).

Tomorrow to the dealership again.

·
Registered
324 Posts
There has been discussion on this before.

Keeping foot on the brake at night annoys the person behind.

More importantly, selecting neutral whilst slowing to a stop helps smoothness. The creep function of the Quadrifoglio's box wants to drive off as you ease the pressure on the brake pedal just before coming to rest.

So my practice for some time has been to select neutral by pulling up on both paddles when the speed gets down to a crawl and when stopped apply the parking brake.

I've only experienced the problem of the parking brake sticking on once in 21,000 miles and I'm reasonably sure it was a software glitch.

I do wonder though just how many operations the parking brake is good for.

Andy
I do exactly the same in my QF Andy and it works well, I've had no issues with mine so far.

I hate the e-brake auto release when driving off as well, there's too much of a jolt when the handbrake releases.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do exactly the same in my QF Andy and it works well, I've had no issues with mine so far.

I hate the e-brake auto release when driving off as well, there's too much of a jolt when the handbrake releases.
Yes the auto release on mine is too jerky so I always use the switch to release the parking brake.

Andy

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,008 Posts
Auto brake release on the 2.0 petrol and diesel I have driven have been smooth. Guess it's Qf specific due to the different parking brake calipers.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
And mine.

......and as an ex BMW driver (and long time driver of autos), I don't ever knock my car into neutral to prevent my brake lights annoying the person behind. Selfish, huh?

·
Registered
205 Posts
And mine.

......and as an ex BMW driver (and long time driver of autos), I don't ever knock my car into neutral to prevent my brake lights annoying the person behind. Selfish, huh?
I don`t think so. I mean, do the N and parking brake at every stoplight seems to much. I don`t get disturbed by the car lights in front of me, even at night. Off course, i suppose the car behind you does not stop very close to you.

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Wouldn't the driver behind be more annoyed at your failure to move away quickly because your handbrake got stuck ? Or waiting for you to press this, release that and engage gear before moving off ? There is another alternative. Put it in park when you stop, then pull the right paddle when light changes. For me its foot on the brake every time. Guy behind is usually in an Audi trying to put his extra wide grille in my boot anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts