Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So saved up went and bought a Quadrifoglio in middle to late March from Bolton some 200 miles away from me and its a nightmare.. Ok nothing in relation to the worlds problems but has left a sour taste in my mouth anyway..

Drove up to see the car and it was a very cold morning when I left and when I got there temperature was hovering around 7 to 8 degrees... So take the car on a test drive which being Bolton was dual carriageway mainly with no real bends and all 40/50 mph because of the average speed cameras . A couple of times when I applied the power the back end squirmed about.. Didnt think much about it as the car has so much power and is on Pirelli P zeros Corsas which as we all know take time to warm up and hate cold conditions, though I did mention it in conversation that the back end is well loose. So got the Car a week later and went and picked it up... Driving again was all straight stuff being motorway work with roadworks (50 mph for long sections) nearly all the way home. The car to me had a weird sensation now and again when I did apply power and this was my first worry that it wasn't the tyres after all.... or if it was the pressures were not right. Then after coming off the motorway (and only 30 miles from home) and on the fast single A roads, I got the shock of my life.. The back end on these bends was now almost taking two to three stabs at cornering. It felt like the back end was out of control.. The back end of the cars goes from oversteer, grips and then twitches the other way.. On the straights if you apply power the car can get into a tank slapper that is beyond belief.

So the long and short of it, was I phoned seller as soon as I got home and it was agreed that Alfa should look at the car, though I told them I wasn't happy as the car is dangerous and i cant believe it. Anyway that garage visit (which was booked in a week later) got cancelled because of the Coronavirus so within 3 days of purchase I phoned the finance company and rejected the vehicle. Then I got an independent survey done by an engineer . No obvious thing seems wrong with the rear suspension or the rest of the car (he was here 4 hours and had it jacked up etc and no codes after being read flagging up anything that points to a stability problem)) but the engineer took it out with me for a long test drive with me in the passenger seat and felt the fault round corners at various speeds It can happen as low as 30 mph and the whole process takes a couple of seconds, which strangely is more apparent round left hand corners. It does do it on right hand corners too but is not as apparent. We also tried it in race mode with traction control etc off and it still wandered round the corners like it doesn't seem to know which way the back end is going. It also induced a tank slapper that really got his attention. His verdict.. Car is dangerous and not fit for purpose.. Not sure what the problem is.. could be mechanical , Could be electronic but now just facing the battle to reject the car now. Not sure now when this gets sorted whether I want another one. Think the dream has been shattered now.

·
Registered
674 Posts
So saved up went and bought a Quadrifoglio in middle to late March from Bolton some 200 miles away from me and its a nightmare.. Ok nothing in relation to the worlds problems but has left a sour taste in my mouth anyway..

Drove up to see the car and it was a very cold morning when I left and when I got there temperature was hovering around 7 to 8 degrees... So take the car on a test drive which being Bolton was dual carriageway mainly with no real bends and all 40/50 mph because of the average speed cameras . A couple of times when I applied the power the back end squirmed about.. Didnt think much about it as the car has so much power and is on Pirelli P zeros Corsas which as we all know take time to warm up and hate cold conditions, though I did mention it in conversation that the back end is well loose. So got the Car a week later and went and picked it up... Driving again was all straight stuff being motorway work with roadworks (50 mph for long sections) nearly all the way home. The car to me had a weird sensation now and again when I did apply power and this was my first worry that it wasn't the tyres after all.... or if it was the pressures were not right. Then after coming off the motorway (and only 30 miles from home) and on the fast single A roads, I got the shock of my life.. The back end on these bends was now almost taking two to three stabs at cornering. It felt like the back end was out of control.. The back end of the cars goes from oversteer, grips and then twitches the other way.. On the straights if you apply power the car can get into a tank slapper that is beyond belief.

So the long and short of it, was I phoned seller as soon as I got home and it was agreed that Alfa should look at the car, though I told them I wasn't happy as the car is dangerous and i cant believe it. Anyway that garage visit (which was booked in a week later) got cancelled because of the Coronavirus so within 3 days of purchase I phoned the finance company and rejected the vehicle. Then I got an independent survey done by an engineer . No obvious thing seems wrong with the rear suspension or the rest of the car (he was here 4 hours and had it jacked up etc and no codes after being read flagging up anything that points to a stability problem)) but the engineer took it out with me for a long test drive with me in the passenger seat and felt the fault round corners at various speeds It can happen as low as 30 mph and the whole process takes a couple of seconds, which strangely is more apparent round left hand corners. It does do it on right hand corners too but is not as apparent. We also tried it in race mode with traction control etc off and it still wandered round the corners like it doesn't seem to know which way the back end is going. It also induced a tank slapper that really got his attention. His verdict.. Car is dangerous and not fit for purpose.. Not sure what the problem is.. could be mechanical , Could be electronic but now just facing the battle to reject the car now. Not sure now when this gets sorted whether I want another one. Think the dream has been shattered now.
Sorry to hear of your experience , was it a new car or used ?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah tyres are all fine. 6mm tread approx both front and rear so not original . Fitted the correct way etc. The engineer says it's a mechanical or electronic defect.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I've only ever heard of anything similar once. It was on the US forum and it turned out to be a load of suspension bolts loose. Made the car wander and squirm under acceleration.
If you can, maybe start there.
Otherwise, not heard of this before so don't let it put you off.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
@cloverleaf535 it sounds like either a suspension link at the back is loose or the problem is with the Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD). You will not have an error code necessarily with these issues. Suspension should be a simple fix. TVD should be fixable. Is it under warranty? If not the seller should pick up the tab. If you contact AR customer care they can usually apply goodwill for major problems just outside warranty. You need a good Alfa dealer and insist the AR master technician who is Quad trained should look at the car. An independent inspection will not reveal a TVD issue. I have seen a similar problem on the USA forum. He purchased a 18 car used and had this issue which was fixed under warranty. It was the rear suspension components loose, reason unknown.

Have you booked it in at an Alfa dealer? This is an essential safety repair.

Also see post #24 for the issue identified.

Reactions: rvcasa

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Having thought about your problem I am willing to bet it is the rear suspension stabilizer and possibly control arm. Unlikely to be the differential especially if this happens at low speeds too when you are driving it hard. Make sure they do a full alignment and give you a print out before and after for records. Was the car single owner and any history of repairs? I personally do not think you need to give up on the car as it should be easily fixable. It is a great car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for input guys but I am rejecting the car. With the current situation and no alfa garages open and no idea when they will be I don't want to be sitting on a car I have no idea when it will be fixed and if it will be fixed on the first go. I could be here in 6 months time saying it ain't fixed. Plus to be honest it's scared the life out of me and I don't feel I will be able to trust it ever. It was logged with Alfa though as warranty ends at the end of May.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Thanks for input guys but I am rejecting the car. With the current situation and no alfa garages open and no idea when they will be I don't want to be sitting on a car I have no idea when it will be fixed and if it will be fixed on the first go. I could be here in 6 months time saying it ain't fixed. Plus to be honest it's scared the life out of me and I don't feel I will be able to trust it ever. It was logged with Alfa though as warranty ends at the end of May.

Fair play. Given the uncertainty I understand your decision. Which dealer did you get it from. I doubt they knew about the issue if they bought it at auction. Has the rejection been approved ? Buy another one once we exit this pandemic.

·
Registered
34,882 Posts
Did you buy privately or from a dealer? I’m sure somebody posted on here an eBay ad from somebody in Bolton who’d rebuilt a couple of Quadrifoglios that had “had a bump”?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ah interesting. Bought from a non alfa dealer in Bolton. I'm the 3rd owner. Shows as hpi clear though of course it coukd have been in a bump.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Sounds like the diff. Mine is on it's third :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Sounds like the diff. Mine is on it's third :mad:
Why do you think it is the diff? Did your car behave in the same way and 3rd diff?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why do you think it is the diff? Did your car behave in the same way and 3rd diff?
Yes very similiar behaviour. Vague rear end when using all the power, a tendency to lock up on one side and so drift randomly and sharply. The original diff was replaced @ 11000 miles and then again a month or so ago @ 21000 miles. It is now sporting it's third diff. The second one was becoming very noisy before it was replaced too.

Obviously I can't say it is the diff, but everything the OP says sounds like the issues we had.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only thing I would say is this car does it even at 30 mph with hardly any power applied if any. Interesting thoughts though and good to know

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Because of the low speed behaviour I feel it is suspension related.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah that was initial thought of the engineer but would that cause such dangerous fishtailing at higher speeds. ?

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Yeah that was initial thought of the engineer but would that cause such dangerous fishtailing at higher speeds. ?

If the bolts that attach the control arms attach to the rear subframe are loose or subframe holding bolts themselves are loose, it could cause a fish tailing effect. Will be fine going in a straight line but as soon as you hit a bend it will sway to a side.

Quick way to test the struts? Go to the back of the car and push down on on of the corners. Is it easy to push down and bouncey when it comes back up? Blown struts.

Quick way to test bushings? Grab a friend. Go to the back of the car. Stand at each wheel facing each other. Push the car back and forth towards each other. Other than the struts/springs flexing a bit up and down, there should be no large movement.

Not sure what the independent "engineer" actually checked or tested. But he should have been able to find an issue with the exception of the differential. How experienced was this engineer, AA or RAC?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
No, he has 40 years experience, including motor racing background. So a lot more experience than most I guess. No shocks tested fine, bushings tested fine, bearings etc. Nothing is loose at all anywhere. We were leaning more towards an electronic fault hence why the car tries to stop the slide when it realises only to then decide not to.. As if its in two minds. Anyway the car has a fault and he has logged the car as not fit for purpose and dangerous enough in wet conditions to loose traction and maybe induce a spin such is the surprise every time it happens. All what I need to help towards rejection.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts