Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally come to the conclusion that it's almost time to retire my old Nokia 3310 :cry:, hard decision, I'm tight !

I have decided that I need a QB Dual Sim and trawled eBay and ze web in general.

What I have found is lot's of made in China 'phones that seem to fit the bill with name like " V80 ", " Anycool " etc, etc. They generally seem to go for £50 - £80 which frankly is all I'm prepared to pay. The feedback/write ups from customers seem to indicate that they are pretty good. Question is are they ?? Don't want to buy a new one every year, remember - I'm tight ! :D

My requirements are simple - Quad Band, Dual Sim, Unlocked, min 2'6" display, PAYG and basic functions, not interested in internet access, MP3/4 and all the other bells & whistles.

The link gives an idea of the sort of thing I'm after although not necessarily any particular one of these.

Any experiences of this sort of " China " 'phone appreciated or any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers.

anycool mobile phone Products , China anycool mobile phone Manufacturers, China anycool mobile phone Suppliers, Made in China, Exporters,

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Nige :D

Why do want dual sim? Unless you planning on running two numbers (which is suspicious I must say :tut::lol:) why bother?

·
16,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nige :D

Why do want dual sim? Unless you planning on running two numbers (which is suspicious I must say :tut::lol:) why bother?
:thumbs: Morning G.

Nothing suspicious, just that I have decided to go with Lebara as it's half the cost of Vodaphone but I do not want to transfer the old number but do want to keep it as a second option. Also I can't be ar**d to try and tell everyone my new Lebara number, hence Dual Sim. Also think it would be useful when I visit the USA as I can get a local Sim but still have the main one on line too.

I'm a very light user of GSM's but if I can save a penny here, a penny there then one day I'll be rich ! :p

Hi Nev,
The Samsung you suggest seems a bit rich for my budget and it's only a Triband. Now I know that Triband would almost certainly work in the majority of the US but as I'm deciding to buy a new 'phone I may as well get one that should work absolutely anywhere. There is hardly, if any, any difference in price so may as well get the full monty as I'm hoping not to change again for a looooong time. A 'phone is a 'phone and I'm neither trying to impress anyone or make a fashion statement. VD will understand, he has met me ! :eek:

Cheers guys, anyone else got anything to add ?

N

·
0 Posts
If you want a phone to work everywhere you need 3G.

3G will work in Japan/Korea where as a Quad band wouldn't.

This is the main reason I never looked further at that Samsung.

Also check out how many 3G frequencies are support.
The benchmark is the SonyEricsson K850i that supports
all of the UMTS frequencies and so works better in the US.

The K850i is also a good compromise for more than 1 SIM as
access to memory card, battery and SIM is via a flip
open hatch in the bottom of the phone with none of the
usual faffying with removing covers and batteries.

And it's an old model, so should be able to pick it up for free.
;)

·
16,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want a phone to work everywhere you need 3G.

3G will work in Japan/Korea where as a Quad band wouldn't.

This is the main reason I never looked further at that Samsung.

Also check out how many 3G frequencies are support.
The benchmark is the SonyEricsson K850i that supports
all of the UMTS frequencies and so works better in the US.

The K850i is also a good compromise for more than 1 SIM as
access to memory card, battery and SIM is via a flip
open hatch in the bottom of the phone with none of the
usual faffying with removing covers and batteries.

And it's an old model, so should be able to pick it up for free.
;)
:thumbs: Thanks for the info Nev, I hadn't considered the 2G/3G aspect of things. It's unlikely I'll ever get to Japan, most of my future travels will be in Europe and the USA, but you never know !

Cheers. :thumbs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts