Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 1.9 JTDM Qtronic since Apr 2015
345 Posts
Why?

Presumably there are moments when you wish it would pick a higher/lower gear. But is it possible that, given a 'sporty' remap, there would be rather more conditions when it used to be spot-on, but now picks an annoyingly lower/higher gear?

Possibly better to sell the auto on, and find a manual in the same colour/spec - there are plenty around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why?

Presumably there are moments when you wish it would pick a higher/lower gear. But is it possible that, given a 'sporty' remap, there would be rather more conditions when it used to be spot-on, but now picks an annoyingly lower/higher gear?

Possibly better to sell the auto on, and find a manual in the same colour/spec - there are plenty around.
I'm quite happy having an auto especially with a bad knee.

I don't "need" to update the gearbox from other people comments the official update help responsiveness and gear holding when ascending or descending hills.

A proper remap usually can go being "standard perameters" to make it faster still (at least with most boxes)

·
Registered
159 1.9 JTDM Qtronic since Apr 2015
345 Posts
Fair enough. My 159 was built late 2008, and seems to have more later than earlier features, so possibly I have the 'upgrade' already.

It works for me, except perhaps the gear holding when descending hills that you mention - the one fly in the ointment. Fine on the steeper slopes, but just sometimes, when I'd expect to coast at a steady 50mph, it will stick at an unnecessary 2000 rpm. It is possible to take it out, by pressing the throttle a bit: fool it into 'push' rather than 'pull' mode, for it then to decide no power needed, and finally drop the revs. But by then you're doing 55mph, and need to brake - but not too hard or it changes down again.

It only happens a handful of times in a year, but does annoy. As I say - software can be too clever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.