Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My quad will need new rotors and pads at the next service.

Can anyone recommend non OEM upgrades for fast road driving? Unlikely I'll track my car, but I'd like something with a bit more inital bite, better modulation, less noise (my original OEM pads are VERY noisy) and ideally less dust. I seem to recall that Nick had tried EBC Yellow Stuff and Macca suggested Ferodo, but I haven't seen any feedback.

Is it my imagination, or are the OEM pads really expensive compared to other options?

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,139 Posts
OEM pads are very expensive for no reason. I have a set of EBC Yellow stuff pads for about £100 on the front TO FIT. I have not done so yet due to other delays. I will probably try the 5mm spacers and the pads next month. The OEM pads create insane amounts of dust.

You could try autodoc for alternative pads as they list quite a few options including Brembo for lot cheaper. Tarox make some beautiful 2 piece rotors and sport road pads that seem to have good reviews. Girodisc make the best discs for the Quad but expensive and not sure if there is UK stock, popular in USA.

You searched for - TAROX Online Store
Only rear discs listed for some reason. Their Strada pads are meant to be good.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio Feb 2017 Alfa Rosso, Fiat 500e Apr 2021
2,146 Posts
Unlikely I'll track my car, but I'd like something with a bit more inital bite, better modulation,...
The slow speed braking and poor modulation is, I feel, one of the Giulia's biggest weaknesses. Not something that affects driving enjoyment when pressing on on country roads, but unpleasant on urban roads.
Rightly or wrongly, I've put it down to the brake-by-wire system's software and not the pads.
I replaced the front discs and pads at about 31k miles (a Silverstone track day was largely responsible) and opted for OEM items, perhaps I could have done better.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a video on line by Auto Fanatic where he tries various pads on his quad, including Tarox, but he didn't try EBC, which I guess are probably not as big in the US, being a UK firm. His suggestion that the slightly annoying level of brake pressure you have to apply to keep the car still when D is engaged AND the modulation coming to a stop are improved with the Hawk pads he used. He felt the Tarox Corsa were too aggressive for everyday driving, but didn't test the Strada mentioned by MG above.

MG - look forward to your review of the EBC YSs, particularly as your OEMs will still have plenty of meat on them when you change them.

Anyone tried the Tarox Big Brake conversion?

·
4,139 Posts
@Hamfisti you are unlikely to get many responses for mods on this forum for things like big brake kits. Giuliaforum is the place but even there I have not seen anyone do it. Call me Al is the one who has made the wide body track car and all he has done is fitted the Girodisc rotors. I will fit the EBC spacers next week maybe now that the wheel balancing issue is sorted. The front pads can be easily swapped as there is a bridge bolt which means I don't need to unbolt the caliper and hang it by the brake pipe unlike the rear calipers (same as the 2.0 Giulia fronts).

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like the 2 piece Tarox rotors would be around double the cost of the OEM rotors and are 2lbs a rotor lighter. There's apparently a video coming soon from Auto Fanatic, but the initial feedback is that it makes a good difference. Any reduction in unsprung weight is welcome.

I'm guessing that my local Alfa dealer wouldn't want to fit these, so I guess it would be a trip to AHM, Autolusso or NJS.

·
4,139 Posts
There is a specific brake bleeding procedure for the Quad front calipers. On my 2.0 I fitted the discs and pads myself but paid Lipscomb £80 (they only charged me £50 as the fuel light had come on in MY car!) to bleed and calibrate the brakes all around, they were happy to just do that. On a 3 year old car that made a big difference. Any good performance car independent, doesn't have to be one of the 3 you mentioned can do it. But if you are close to one of them it would be even better and avoid a trip to the dealer in case you need to bleed the system.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have no experience in the quad other than factory steels and factory ceramics but based on previous experience on other performance cars I found the EBCs to be a good alternative to OEM. They are normally cheaper than OEM and give a performance as good as OEM or better. Also used Ferodo DS2500 before as well. The first stop when pads are cold needs a bit more pressure, then they are similar to OEM but they are great pads once warmed up properly. The biggest draw back is that they don't have any wear sensors.
Like I said, not tried any of these on the quad or even know if the DS2500 are available.
FYI I thought I saw a load of videos on Instagram of auto fanatic testing the EBC yellows with countless braking tests this week.

·
4,139 Posts
@MikeFish the EBC come with wear sensors. Not that it matters as absence of sensor does not trigger any errors. Its just an old fashioned resistive sensor and if you are driving any car till the brakes go that low then you should stop driving (I don't mean you literally) :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
@MikeFish the EBC come with wear sensors. Not that it matters as absence of sensor does not trigger any errors. Its just an old fashioned resistive sensor and if you are driving any car till the brakes go that low then you should stop driving (I don't mean you literally) :)
Yes, they do, but they are not as good as the Ferodo DS2500. I thought all cars showed a warning if fitted with pads without sensors, and a brake pad warning light on the dash board is an MOT failure now. Not tried it on the Alfa but any car I've tried it before showed an error. Easy enough the clear the error by shorting out the sensor wiring plug or buying an adaptor made for this very purpose.

·
4,139 Posts
Yes, they do, but they are not as good as the Ferodo DS2500. I thought all cars showed a warning if fitted with pads without sensors, and a brake pad warning light on the dash board is an MOT failure now. Not tried it on the Alfa but any car I've tried it before showed an error. Easy enough the clear the error by shorting out the sensor wiring plug or buying an adaptor made for this very purpose.
Ferrodo is good in my experience. Haven't tried DS2500 as there were some reports of low speed squeal. EBC was just £100 so I thought I will take a shot and worst case use if for a track day or high performance driving course someday.

I don't know about other cars but on the Alfa if the pad wire circuit is not connected there is no warning on the dash. How do I know? I drove for 2 years with a broken pad wire sensor on my earlier Giulia. If you short it out on the Giulia, it will trigger an error on the dash so it works the opposite way to your experience on other cars. It is called "Reverse Bocchino Circuit", a bit like reverse Ackermann without the skipping.

·
4,139 Posts
@Hamfisti . Timely review like you say. I only have the front EBC Yellowstuff pads currently. I will try and fit them soon time permitting. I want slighly grabby brakes which are linear from cold. Worth a try, especially with stock nearly original thickness pads as a comparison.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I don't have the interstellar spaceship that is a QV, but I find the brakes on my Speciale are incredible. I am the last of the late brakers on any road and it just stops. Anyone else recommend non stock pads?

·
Registered
457 Posts
@Hamfisti . Timely review like you say. I only have the front EBC Yellowstuff pads currently. I will try and fit them soon time permitting. I want slighly grabby brakes which are linear from cold. Worth a try, especially with stock nearly original thickness pads as a comparison.
I found EBC Yellows to be very linear, but the DS2500 are definitely not linear for temperature vs grab so the EBCs may suit you better.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I’ve had two sets of yellow stuff front pads and one set of rears. They are definitely better than oem which are super dusty and don’t have much initial bite. The problem is the rotors though, I’ve trashed my second set already. They can’t handle track days at all even if you take it easy and look after the brakes. I’m putting it off but I need new rotors and I’ll be looking for non-oem.

·
4,139 Posts
I found EBC Yellows to be very linear, but the DS2500 are definitely not linear for temperature vs grab so the EBCs may suit you better.
Thanks for the feedback. I have the EBCs already so will fit them the coming weekend or after. I had Ferrodos on another car before and you are right, they take time to warm up. I may try them at next change.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the EBCs.

Take a look at the Tarox rotors. They are more expensive than OEM, but are lighter and should last better when used on track. I believe Girodisc also make them for the quad at a similar price to the Tarox.

I’m probably going to go Tarox rotors and EBC YS pads.

·
4,139 Posts
I’ve had two sets of yellow stuff front pads and one set of rears. They are definitely better than oem which are super dusty and don’t have much initial bite. The problem is the rotors though, I’ve trashed my second set already. They can’t handle track days at all even if you take it easy and look after the brakes. I’m putting it off but I need new rotors and I’ll be looking for non-oem.
The best rotors are Girodisc as used by Call me Al on Giuliaforums on his widebody Quad that is mainly tracked. A number of people have fitted them over there. The second best IMO would be Tarox which is available with TMC Motorsport over here. Both look very good.

Reactions: 146Nick

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have now fitted EBC blue stuff.. The question is how long the rotors will last?

Does anyone know which other rotors we could be using? The OEM are super expensive and last close to nothing...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts