Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have recently bought a Q4 from 1992. Now I have some quetions maybe you could help answer them. The car seems to take a while to start. It doesn't start right after I turn the key. Often it takes about 5 secs. with the ignition key turned. Is this normal or do I need new sparkplugs or...? The former owner told me it was because it has a turbo and therefore I have to give it a little gas when starting.
Also when driving in third and hitting the pedal to the metal it doesn't seem so keen on accelerating fast. Maybe it's the fuel I don't know. Am running 95 unlead...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is something my Q4 doesn't do.
Switch the key and it runs.
Only when i drove the car and leave it for a while on a hot day i might need to give it a little bit of gas but mostly none is needed.

Is the car chipped? Because most chipped Q4's like ron98 fuel and don't run to good on ron95.

And hitting the throttle in 3 makes my car leap forward. (if i am above 3000rpm) The car doesn't rushes forward if you got to low rpm's. This is because of the turbo. Not much power until you get it above 3000 rpm.

When was the car last serviced? If you don't know have it done yesterday!
A failure in the engine compartiment is much more expensive then any service bill!

Good luck.

Jan.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for answering! No it's not chipped but I think it has been standing still for a while. I think I will let a mechanic take a look at the car. I hope he can find out about this starting problem.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If a car stands still for a long time the fuel it has degrades. So it nolonger is even ron95 probably. (Draining the left over fuel and replace it with new fuel is not a bad idea.)
Fuel is not indefinately good. It gets bad just like fruit :(
Further more you should give the car at least a service because the oilfilter and other bits need replacing.
But your mechanic will sort it out probably.

What was the reason the car stood still for a long time?
This will give a good clue for the problems ahead. I don't think anybody has a 155Q4 just standing around unless:
- he/she can't pay the upcoming bill
- has something nicer to drive? (But then why keep the Q4 at all?)
- The asking price is much to high
- Lost his or her driving licence :(
- The car was part of the goods of a deceased family member and it took some time to sort it all out.
- the car was crashed and it took some time to get it "fixed".

I hope it is okay but have it closely inspected if you haven't done so already!

I hope it is in good condition for your sake.

Jan.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been standing still because it has been for sale for a long time. Furthermore I think it has been a wifes car because it has a lot of parking dents on the sides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts