Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked into this (or actually done it)?

Following recent snowfall, I'm starting to see some benefits that might outweigh (ahem) the weight penalty and parasitic transmission losses.

Plus, I'd feel happier about upping the engine output... :)

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
If you want a Q4, sell yours and buy a Q4.

·
Registered
831 Posts
if you're thinking of that only because of that little snow you had there in UK, you should rather consider getting some winter tires (and they should really be called "cold weather tires" imo). that would be cheaper and better in almost every way ;)

N

·
0 Posts
Ah but the Q4 seller would be in a similar boat.

Anyway getting an AWD car just because of a couple of days snow a year
is a bit knee jerk.

I was vaguely tempted by an AWD Brera but in the end you can't fit
chains so it would have been useless to go skiing with it.
My 2WD Brera never even touched snow in the 3 years I had it.

If it really is a problem you'd be better off with a Freelander or
something out of Subabru's stable. :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The tyres are your week link. Downsize the rims & fit some winter tyres from November - March. Job done!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, it did fine in the snow last week, but has not moved off the drive since (tyres are too wide to cope with more than a couple of inches of snow).

The Mini with it's LSD has been doing fine since.

It was just that there appears to be no options to fit a LSD to the 3.2 Brera, so stripping the relvant bits off a crashed Q4 looked to be the only way forward.

If there is a proper LSD available for the 3.2 2WD gearbox, I'd be delighted to hear about it... :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Q2 cars are in a similar boat. Our summer Tyres are the limiting factor. All a slippy diff will do is divert power to where there's grip but if there's none, you're still not going anywhere!

You Brera has eQ2 doesn't it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Q2 cars are in a similar boat. Our summer Tyres are the limiting factor. All a slippy diff will do is divert power to where there's grip but if there's none, you're still not going anywhere!

You Brera has eQ2 doesn't it?
What was it about my comments on using a Mini with LSD that suggested I didn't already understand this??? :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
out of curiosuty is all 3.2 159's Q4? cause someone on youtube mentioned this and I got confused

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tyres do make a huge difference. I currently drive a RWD Mazda mx-5, and changing to winter tyres made a massive improvement.

I think the 3.2 159 can come both with Q4 and without.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts