Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I'm convinced on buying a 159 2.4 SW ti but left with the dilemma of shedding out the extra cash (which is actually quite significant) on the Q4 model or going for the FWD version. I can not go petrol due to asphyxiating gas prices (diesel is €0.10 + a liter cheaper here) and my need for long range motorway economy (160km a day to get to and from work)....anyways I've been converted into a derv head with my current car so i will tend to avoid any needless debate on the issue even with the xtra horsepower needed for such a heavy car.

I am worried about the extra cost of running this sort of power train more because of the "what if something goes wrong" and the xtra headache and costs of repairing.( Fiat Motor Group hasn't got the best street cred for reliable and robust build quality... water pump replacement with timing belt comes to mind) Any first hand testimonies?

I have read of a loss of cabin space (or boot space?) due to a drive shaft tunnel.... is this true? Any first hand experience expand on this?

Can anyone confirm that the 2.4 has a Garrett turbo? I have a Garrett on my honda and with 275000km on the car I've had no problems with it from the time I bought it with 150000 km's (oil changes at every 15000km's and I always go through warmup procedures and wind down precautions before turning it off after a hard run.) I might be gullible when i comes to brand loyalty but better the devil you know than the one that's yet to be acquainted with.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any "common" fault areas on the 159 2.4 ti Q4 that I should look out for when looking at buying one?

Cordial salutations,

BeaverBill

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
My understanding is there is no loss of cabin space as they all use the same floorplan.
Q4 is a definite plus. Its a well developed system evolving over a number of generations of Alfas.
Little evidence of failures (but change oil in the extra boxes).
Occasional clunk on some.
- this can be sorted using replacement rear transmission mounting bush (about £250+fitting).
Benefit is if you switch ASR/VDC off you get approximately 30-70 power delivery with RWD bias

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding is there is no loss of cabin space as they all use the same floorplan.
Q4 is a definite plus. Its a well developed system evolving over a number of generations of Alfas.
Little evidence of failures (but change oil in the extra boxes).
Occasional clunk on some.
- this can be sorted using replacement rear transmission mounting bush (about £250+fitting).
Benefit is if you switch ASR/VDC off you get approximately 30-70 power delivery with RWD bias
Sounds alright. :)

You wouldn't happen to know for how long the 2.4 q4's were in production for? Wiki states 2008 discontinuing in 2010 but I've seen oodles of 2007 reg 2.4 ti q4's out there for sale and the odd 2009... yet to see a 2010. I'm also taking into account that the reg date isn't necessarily the build date, so I'm assuming that a 2010 build 2.4 ti q4 is pretty rare stuff.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...but how many are "ti's" (not to mention RHD)? There's currently less than 20 LHD for sale on mainland europe (major internet sites)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts