Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st time i'm going to be able to properly test the Q4 system tonight :inlove:

Will report back later/tomorrow

Anyone else had experience of Q4 in the snow?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Well it's been an hour and no update lol...

I hope you haven't bent it!:p

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Traction is excellent, even on summer tyres but slowing down is another thing altogether:eek:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'll think you'll find Wallington slippery enough now. All 4 wheels will be locked together beautifully - to the scene of the crash!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She did marvelously!!! Only point where she got stuck was a 30degree hill to get to my mates house

no incidents and no real drama

·
Registered
26 Posts
I drove my Q4 into Birmingham last night in the middle of the heaviest fall and loved it. Particularly loved overtaking the Merc taxi and people carrier with wheels spinning furiously and the Saab stuck at the crest of a rail bridge, whom I drove round and over the bridge with absolutely no drama. Also drives brilliantly with fantasic four wheel drifting possibilities.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have been out this morning and she was great. The car park where she lives is covered in packed snow and last winter my 147 couldn't get off the car park let along onto the roads. The Brera drove off as if there was no snow!

·
Registered
204 Posts
She did marvelously!!! Only point where she got stuck was a 30degree hill to get to my mates house

no incidents and no real drama
I doubt if my Alfa would climb a 30 degree hill even in the dry. Perhaps you meant to say a 30% hill.

Even 30% (roughly 17 deg.) is very steep. The steepest navigable hill in the U.K. is around 33% and that figure seems to be about the limit for steep hills in the rest of the world. I think the famous steep hills of San Francisco are only about 31% or 32%.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Good to know the Q4's work well in the snow, as I'm less than impressed with my normal Ti during its first snow outing. Less traction than my old 05 Focus Tdci.

No huge dramas - I cold feel what it was going to do. The only problem was that I could feel that it wasn't going to do much.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Good to know the Q4's work well in the snow, as I'm less than impressed with my normal Ti during its first snow outing. Less traction than my old 05 Focus Tdci.

No huge dramas - I cold feel what it was going to do. The only problem was that I could feel that it wasn't going to do much.
It is all in the tyres. Modern high performance tyres are dismal in the snow. Winter tyres give surprising 2wd performance in the right conditions - I never got stuck or even slowed down on hills last year with mine.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Good to know the Q4's work well in the snow, as I'm less than impressed with my normal Ti during its first snow outing. Less traction than my old 05 Focus Tdci...
Which does not translate as the Focus is better.

Your Focus probably had 'V' rated tyres (240 Kph) while your Ti has 'Y' rating (300Kph). To sustain these speeds the rubber has to be pretty good when hot, which translates as pretty bad when cold. The Ti rubber is just brittle on snow and has no rubber 'stickyness'. Your focus could still find some grip on its rubber face.

·
Registered
963 Posts
It does translate into my Focus was better in the snow than my 159 is.

Still, I'm sure I'll cope, safe in the knowledge that for the other 360 days a year the Alfa fares rather better :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Tell me about it - I sold an E90 325 for my Alfa. The BMW couldn't pull away from a side grass verge, level, covered with snow last year!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, but as I discovered in our work car park last December, big summer tyres have their limitations even with four driven wheels. I was alarmed at how little grip they had on snow, but it's not worth shelling out 200 bucks a corner for a few snowy days. We've got no snow here by the way.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts