Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello you Q4-drivers!

What about the fuel consumption of your turbo-engines?

Even driven moderately, my engine asks for 13-14L/100km!

What are your experiences? Is there a way to reduce fuel consumption?

Regards, Spike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spike, I'm not a Quadrifoglio 4 owner but I will say that fuel consumption is not something I would be looking to improve if I was lucky enough to own one! In fact I would actively be looking for ways to make it drink as much of the stuff as possible! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're quite right Rob!

Just bothering, that menacing yellow flash-light, reminding you've been driving for two miles :D I'm sure, i'm gonna switch it off. Just like that other red light for the safety belts, assuming serious problems :confused:

Speed and Fun. Spike

·
Registered
177 Posts
I recognise it, 13-14 litres per 100 km. But what I find strange is that it differs a lot from time to time. 12-12.5 is standard if I don't drive in city traffic, and in best case it can go below 10. But two weeks ago it set all time high with 18.9 with 150 km on the highway and the rest on the race track.

One thing that might differ is the chip version you have. Some owners of the early ones does not have the same experience with their cars and I think those cars does also have much better driveability at low rpms.

My conclusion is that the high fuel consumtion is caused by mostly by the slow response of the turbo and the ECU mapping, but also by the construction of the exhaust manifold, the the weight and by the transmission, epescially the rear differential.

The only way to easily get around the problem is to re-map the ECU (chip). I tried a chip from Evolution Engineering and found the fuel consumption decreasing by over 20% in normal driving and by 10% in hard driving despite the increased performace. Now this chip wasn't written for my ECU so it didn't work properly in all cases so until I bring the car for individual mapping I use the std. chip.

.. and of course, don't forget to drive on 98 oktan fuel!!! It makes big big differnce in fuel cosnumption.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got home from a small trip this weekend.
It involved mostly highways, but also som citydriving and a fair amount of "full throttle".
we came about 200km on 20 litres of 98 fuel.

sound fair to me!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you guys all have dump valves fitted? They kind of speed up turbo response by prevent the turbine stalling to some degree through gearchanges. I know some engines don't run at all well with them fitted, what about the Quadrifoglio 4?

·
Registered
177 Posts
No, Q4's and other cars sharing the same engine type does not have a dump valve. Instead it is equipped with something called boost drive, a system that recycles the compressed air in contradiction to a dump valve that dumps it into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yeah its a closed circuit dump valve ,relase all the air in the air filter box ,and we dont hear cuufufff sound :D
if you change your filter with open perf filter , you hear all of the turbo spinner sound and also release air cuufffff..
its wonderful sound but open filter take in very hot air :( Im pull it..

About Fuel consumption :
if I use my Q4 3000 Rpm burn 14 litres .
if I use up to 3000 Rpm and fast 17 litres.
if I use very fast and full trottle on the road 20 litres.
and full and like race on the road and also drag racing 25 litres.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am pretty new to my q4 but 13/14 liters per 100 km sounds a lot like what i get.
Are some peole saying they get BETTER milage with a chiptuned Q4?
Because then i realy want one!

Jan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.