Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Is the Q4 engine the same like the EvoI-II-III?
Or is this the same like the Lancia Delta 16v Turbo?
If there are differences,what are those?
Are the differences between the pistons?

P

·
0 Posts
The internals are Evo II type, although there are some differences, the Grale doesn't use EGR, and the water pump etc are different.

F

·
0 Posts
I wonder what can be removed from the Q4 engine.. EGR for instance.. I guess it just saps power.. what can go in the bin in the quest for speed?

P

·
0 Posts
BOth of mine are without EGR, One because of the manifold, one because its an Evo engine.
Balance shafts!! You heathen! wink

Steve

F

·
0 Posts
What about the oil seperator & all the gubbins on the right hand side of the engine.. there must be a way to get rid of all those pipes wink

P

·
0 Posts
Well you could just put a breather filter on and then clean the engine bay more often, but I believe you can't legally vent this to the atmosphere anymore.

Steve

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi everybody ,
Hi Andreas ,
I want to cancel balance shafts too,
but Im hesitate generate more detanation on the engine after 6000 rpm , what is your explain ?
do you know, who is make this ? and result ?
Knock sensor maybe sens that vibration like detonation !

I was disable EGR too ,
I dont use it .
Becuse ,I know ,EGR is only minimize NOX gases only and give us fuel economy .

BUT ,Can you read following adress ?
about detanation .

http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm

J

·
0 Posts
all the q4 and lancia based engines have balance shafts...DO NOT take them off they are essential to keep the engine smooth if youve ever driven one with the balance shaft timing out by just one tooth you will know what i mean.!

P

·
0 Posts
Have to disagree with you there, first garage that did a belt change on my q4 put the balance shafts in 180 out of phase, I didn't even notice. I'm sure they do make the engine smoother, but taking them out ain't gonna do no harm, and you will be hard pushed to notice they are not in.

F

·
0 Posts
apparently it's worth removing these to release a few horsies.. at the risk of a slightly harsher engine..

J

·
0 Posts
i must disagree further i have done the timing wrong and i noticed straight away when i looked both were 1 tooth out.. is it realy worth the work you will have to block off the holes some how to prevent all the oil coming out...if you drive a fiat T.C then a lancia T.C the difference is amazing just from the balance shafts...!!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jimybob, the point is that you just disconnect them, not remove them and by that also minimizes the risk of drivebelt jam for the camshafts. Personally I have no experience of disconnecting/removing balanceshafts, but I am sure it its worse to connect them one tooth wrong than to disconnect them.

/A

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Setting the balance shafts one tooth out would mean you have a pile of metal whizzing about out of sync with the rest of the engine meaning bad vibrations. Removing them / disconnecting them would give you an engine no worse that the 1.8 16v which has no balance shafts.

In summary a 1 tooth out balancer shaft would vibrate a lot worse than an engine without balancers!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
If balance shafts reduce vibration and give a smoother engine, surely removeing/disconnecting them will give move virbation within the engine, and hence more stress and wear? i.e. gain 2 bhp and lose 20K of milage on the life of the engine?

P

·
0 Posts
Anyway this is all accedemic, balance shafts only require a small amount of power to run. There are plenty of other ways of getting more power other than removing the balance shaft belts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts