Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where I can get more info on the Q4, especially tech details? I am thinking of buying one but can't find much info about them. Is the complete engine / drivetrain the same as the Lancia Delta Integrale or were there differences? Was the suspension taken from the Lancia or is it standard 155? Anyone know production figures etc??

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim King:
Can anyone tell me where I can get more info on the Q4, especially tech details? I am thinking of buying one but can't find much info about them. Is the complete engine / drivetrain the same as the Lancia Delta Integrale or were there differences? Was the suspension taken from the Lancia or is it standard 155? Anyone know production figures etc??
Hi Tim, right a few Q4 details, for a start the drivetrain is identical to the later integrales with 47/53 torque split, torsen rear diff and feuguson centre diff, regular non locking front diff. The engine itself is the same as the 'grale however its installation is somewhat different. Ancillaries are located in different places, the induction route is very different, and it comes with a crappy plastic ended intercooled. Also the Q4, uses 'exhaust gas recirculation' supposed to help economy on light throttle or something like that. Tuned differently to the 'grale hence the 186-190bhp 219 lbsft. Supposed to make them more drivable and less thirsty. Saying that the best you will ever see from a Q4 is about 25-26 mpg. Worst will be single figures 7-8 mpg.
On that front 0-62 is @ 7 seconds, vmax is 140mph but its real forte is acceleration in the gears.
Gearchange is not all that good, steering is regular 155 , as is suspension, many uk cars come with the electronically adustable dampers. Early cars came with the intercooler water spray system, and very very nasty half 'leather' seats which are infact half plastic!! Feel terrible with no support.

As for production run, somewhere over 2500 worldwide i think.
Anything else u want to know just ask.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the info, Steve! I currently have a standard 2.5 V6 and was looking to improve on the power output a bit (ie fit a 3.0 engine for instance) but was also intrigued with the 4wd aspect of the Q4. Do you think the improved dynamic characteristics of the 4wd system make it worth the extra hassle? A friend of mine has a couple of Deltas and swears by them but the mechanicals look a bit fragile to me.....

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tim,

Basically in the dry the standard fwd of the 155 is fine, i dare say it would even cope pretty well with the standard 190bhp of the Q4, however, in the wet, and on the twisty stuff you cannot beat the 'grale/Q4 system, slight rearward torque bias kills alot of the understeer in normal driving, especially if you sort out the front suspension. But thats another story. And in the wet, well, you just don't worry, drive as normal the car has so much traction that you really have to be trying to get it to spin anything.
You mention that it looks fragile, in normal use its fine, but if you are thinking that you are going to be able to do standing starts all day long in this you are right it will be fragile.
I only ever pull away sharpish when the road is wet, then the tyres will break traction before anything in the drivetrain breaks.

I have only spun the wheels pulling away once, and that was pulling out of a side road when the road was very wet and there were leaves all about. Oh and my car has over 300lbs ft of torque on a good day!!

I'll be sticking to my 4wd from here on in, but then again if they ever make a 156 GTA rwd I might have to rethink.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got to agree with everything that Steve says, except.. the extra weight over the rear wheels also helps the handling IMHO - cracking car & great fun to drive. :)

A

1 - 6 of 6 Posts