Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may or may not be a stupid question, but here it goes, is it actually possible to fit the popular Q2 to the gm/alfa hybrid cars like the 2.2?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Dude I like your thinking...but if I were you, I'd put 19" OZ ultraleggera wheels on with an Eibach ultralow drop...then the car will sell to Lance quick!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, i thought i scared lance off with my scary storys? :lol:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hehe oh yes and those wheels will be so expensive ill have to sell an organ to get them, im thinking of getting the eibach springs from gazzella racing.....

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
didnt they stop gm based productions by then? and also mine is a my07 and also also here in South Africa when it comes to alfas we only get alfas with a set features and thats that and unfortunately q2 in a 159 wasnt one of them :( Wish i could stay in italy like you.....:cry:

·
Registered
460 Posts
didnt they stop gm based productions by then?
Can't tell about the production, for sure the SALES were not stopped... speaking of the Spider, you would have been able to order a GM 3.2 up to the end of June 2010.. also, they removed the 3.2 FWD in 2008 (i think, i can check the date) and re-introduced in march 2009, so not only they were still selling 3.2 GM, but also changing the "package".
E-Q2 anyway is really something just electronic related and doesn't care too much about the engine fitted in the car... it's all VDC/ASR related.

Sales were stopped in 2011 becase the GM unit was not euro 5 and since 31/12/2010 all cars sold should comply to it (at least in europe, don't know about South Africa), hence the available options were just the 1750 and the 2.0 Jtdm, until some months ago, where afaik sales stopped in EU, and in Italy only the 2.0Jtdm 136 bhp is still available (big sigh).

and also mine is a my07 and also also here in South Africa when it comes to alfas we only get alfas with a set features and thats that and unfortunately q2 in a 159 wasnt one of them :( Wish i could stay in italy like you.....:cry:
Q2 was not avaible here too.. it's the E-Q2 that is... which pretty much is all electronics, no mechanical parts for it, it's really just a matter of the braking system and throttle management that (sort of) emulates the behaviour of a real Q2... works pretty nice i must say, but i think that fitting a real Q2 on a machine already equipped with a Q2 would lead to bad things...

It would sound rather strange to me that MY2008 or later models outside EU were not equipped with the E-Q2... perhaps though you can check with someone if an option to "install" the E-Q2 on yours is available... don't take my words for granted, by to my knowledge E-Q2 is really managed just by a different ASR/VDC/ABS management system (i.e. you need the software, all the hardware is already in place).

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow this is all very interesting, just wonder how would i be able to aquire the software :confused:

also, mine doesnt even have a asr/vdc button so i doubt it has E-Q2

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
No the Q2 will not fit.
The E-Q2 is basically Alfas name for traction control, maybe a bit more advanced but I doubt it.
Strange but his 2.2 isn’t fitted with the button so either it can not be disengaged or the car isn’t fitted with it which will be strange considering that all Alfas after 2004 were fitted with ASR VDC and a button.

·
Registered
460 Posts
No the Q2 will not fit.
The E-Q2 is basically Alfas name for traction control, maybe a bit more advanced but I doubt it.
It is rather more advanced.. it's not the same as a real torsen Q2, but much similar to many extents...
I see you have a GTV 3.2, i assume it behaves quite like a GTA... when you're in a corner and accellerate hard, the GTA will start loosing grip, nose start pointing out, ASR kicks in, and stops, sort of, to keep on widening more and more your turn... if it's the case it will drop power too..

The E-Q2 behaves WAY different... in the same situation you start loosing grip, the EQ-2 kicks in and you can feel the front tire gaining grip (it is not, it's the weel that looses power that is being brake, and the one with more grip that starts pushing more, as more torque is avalable on its side) and the nose actually starts to point INWARD the apex of the turn, keeping you in line... it still can't do miracles, as a Torsen either, so in the end if needed the ASR will kick in too, and drop power.

Q2 is even better... the first time you drive it's a rather strange feeling, as you expect the car to understeer under heavy accelleration, and it keep the line and actually CLOSES the turning line instead.

Strange but his 2.2 isn’t fitted with the button so either it can not be disengaged or the car isn’t fitted with it which will be strange considering that all Alfas after 2004 were fitted with ASR VDC and a button.
it's strange indeed... i've never seen a 159 without the asr/vdc button, but i can talk for local market only.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
around here all the 2.2's ive seen does not have this button, there is someone else also on the sa forum who has a 2.2 and a lumina or something that does not have this button, maybe perreby can ask the higher ups why?

also i noticed my car behaves a lot like you describe when i was on the trackday indicating E-Q2 might be present but then again i dont even have a asr button and i know for a fact that its not perma-on because i can spin it :lol:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
My turbo gtv is fitted with a q2 yes it is brilliant.

My 2.4 159 also spins but the asr lights up on the dash.

Yes the e-q2 use the abs to stop the spinning wheel in corners so it is a combination of traction and stability control.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my car spins with nothing holding it back and no lights flashing

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
my car spins with nothing holding it back and no lights flashing
Are your tyres bald? The 2.2 is a little underpowered for that sort of thing without slipping the clutch and certainly doesn't have the torque to make a mechanical LSD worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well my Eagle F1's doesnt spin on dry but im talking about wet conditions and also when i had 16 inch wheels with cheapish tyres on it also spun. 2.2 isnt as underpowered as you think, the air just needs to be cold enough :)

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol! man just believe me i promise 2.2's here in sa is vdc switchless

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
It's a shame Q2 is not available for new alfas! It's a revelation, I want to fit a 6 speed to my 156 so I can fit a Q2 to it!:cheese:

No seriously, my GTV was scary in the wet, even with the asr working but since the Q2 was fitted I forgot about the ASR light (well, mostly... :thumbs:)

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes, the thought came originally from thinking of the first ever 2.2 TBI in existence, and then the little angel poped on my other shoulder and said but what about suspension, brakes and handling??

And the little devil on the other side with a turbo for a hat just keeps screaming, more power! MORE POWER!!!!:p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts