Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I'm looking for the benefit of your combined wisdom please.

I have a 3.2 V6 GT with approx 95,000 miles on the clock; when driving aggressively I am aware of some slight clutch slippage so this will need changing in the not too distant future. The car has some wear in the lower suspension arm bushes so the arms need replacing which, I understand, requires the front subframe to be dropped. Whilst this is being done, is it worth biting the bullet and having the clutch changed at the same time? - this also needs, so I am told, the front subframe to be dropped.

If changing the clutch is it worth fitting Q2 at the same time? As I understand it, this significantly improves matters in a GTA or GTV, neither of which have traction control. Now I know traction control limits power whereas Q2 redirects it so the way they work is fundamentally different but how well does Q2 work in the GT with its enhanced electronics?

If I've got any of the above wrong (I am not mechanically minded!) please let me know.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you have a V6.....get a Q2 or Quaife on there ASAP!

If I had a V6 there is no way I would run the stock diff for any longer than I had too.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Are you planning on doing the work yourself?

Definately get the q2/Quaiffe. The 3.2 is tricky to pull away from a junction at speed with 250bhp on tap so a Q2 can only be a good thing. The stock diff is also super fragile.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Do it mate. I had the diff blow on mine while I was doing around 20mph and it took out the clutch and the gearbox casing. Repair bill was close to 2k and I've had issues with the work done since too.
A quaiffe fitted at autolusso is under £700 if I recall correctly and it does improve the drive a lot, especially putting power down in corners. Get it done asap for peace of mind it was the next job on my list after brakes and tyres when I bought mine just wish I got it done in time

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
+1 for quaife

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Yup get the diff if you can. It's expensive but anything mechanical will vastly improve an electronic variant.

Saying that not sure it would improve grip in a straight line really. Works in corners due to wheel rotation soeeds differ. The only thing I can think of in a straightline would be if one wheel broke traction it would feed it mechanically into the wheel with traction or a lower turning speed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I moved from a GT without a Q2 to a 147 Ducati with a Q2. Holy crap what a difference, its a completely different car. Its got more guts than me going round corners, it sticks like glue! I do the Woodhead Pass every day and its changed from a chore to a joy :)

You will not regret it

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Yup get the diff if you can. It's expensive but anything mechanical will vastly improve an electronic variant.

Saying that not sure it would improve grip in a straight line really. Works in corners due to wheel rotation soeeds differ. The only thing I can think of in a straightline would be if one wheel broke traction it would feed it mechanically into the wheel with traction or a lower turning speed.
That is correct It also counters torque steer by biasing the torque to whichever wheel has the most grip.

The test for me will be, can I give it full throttle in 2nd up to the red line and keep it in a straigt line. With the stock diff that was a no, at 5krpm the front wheels would loose traction and I would have to change up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It seems as if I'm close to buying an '04 156 SW JTS (after months of looking for one), and just out of curiosity for future opportunities with the car: I know that a diff like this won't be noticed much on a smaller engine like this, but how about in snowy / low grip conditions? Even with global warming, it's not at all uncommon for it to snow a lot, or be below 0 degrees. Would a diff make a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
566 Posts
The Q2 won't fit a JTS unfortunately. Autodelta do one for the TS but it's $$$ (I presume it fits 147 JTS also). I'm not sure if that's the only option.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
The Q2 won't fit a JTS unfortunately. Autodelta do one for the TS but it's $$$ (I presume it fits 147 JTS also). I'm not sure if that's the only option.
Quaife make a diff for the Twinspark/JTS gearbox and we've supplied/fitted a few over the years. Unfortunately the Twinspark/JTS gearbox doesn't have a separate diff housing, so fitting the diff means removing the gearbox from the car and then removing all the gearbox internals to get the original diff out and the Quaife diff in, then rebuilding the rest of the gearbox and refitting it to the car.

My old 147 TS used to have a Quaife in it and with the low nose weight and massive grip it truly felt like a little go-kart.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ah, I knew the Quaife should fit, but I didn't know that it was such a big job. Though after reading what diffs have done for other people in winter conditions, it's still a bit interesting.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is no one going to try and dissuade me?

I know I want to do it - it's just justifying the extra expense.

Thanks To everyone for their input.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Is no one going to try and dissuade me?
No, because the stock diffs are pretty much a matter of when will they crap themselves.....not if! It really is essential for V6's to get that stock diff off asap.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
A bit off topic, anyone have a pic of the standard diff next to a q2 or quaife? Or how to identify a q2 or quaife diff?
If you look through the middle:

Original diff - you can see straight through, however there is a bar running perpendicular through the middle of the diff.

Q2 - you can see straight through, no obstructions

Quaife - the view is completely obstructed, you cannot see through at all

1 - 20 of 43 Posts