Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys Im new here. I was wondering if I should get a Q2 differential on my 2004 alfa 156 gta, with 128000 miles. Ive had it a month.
I was wondering what it does, and how it affects the performance, and indeed if Id notice any difference! Im in Bristol but would likely take it to Autolusso In Bedfordshire to be done, they quote around 6-700 pounds. It has no other modifications, barring the 300mm calliper brakes.

Thanks GTA people!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I haven't got one and I've never driven the car close enough to the edge to need one. I'm no expert but in my opinion unless you going to track days and the like its now worth it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I notice it most when accelerating hard around a sharp corner or a roundabout. Instead of the front of the car washing out (understeer), it tucks in and grips. Not essential but a worthwhile modification.

Reactions: GTA1

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My GT V6 is on a standard diff still (as far as I am aware) and I'm happy enough with the way it drives. Traction seems good and I don't suffer from much wheelspin or torque steer. I tend to use my right foot as a traction control and not boot it too hard from standstill. I may consider a Q2 or Quaife at some point but there are other things to spend £700 on (wheel refurb next week, crushed sill to sort out etc....).

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I had std open diff up until 116k miles. Have Quaife diff which is same design as Q2. I wouldn't go back. Yes it is absolutely brilliant and means you can use more of that power when the steering wheel is slightly turned. Also don't have that niggling thing in the back of your mind thinking when the diff is going to explode as the open diff fails!
One of the best things i have ever done to my GTA. highly recommended.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I've run a quaife, a q2 and an open diff in various incarnations and I can honestly say I don't think they make a significant amount of difference. They (3.2's) have enough power in 1st and 2nd to break traction whether a trick diff is fitted or not.

The one thing they don't have is a propensity to break and destroy the gearbox.

For this reason alone the q2 / quaife is worth it. You'll also recoup the some of the cost in residuals / easier sale.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Without doubt I would fit Q2. Having been on the brunt end of standard diff failure, which took out gearbox + casing & drive shaft. Then whilst the gearbox is off you'll fit a clutch plate because it makes sense. So 2 grand later you'll see what I mean.

The 600-700 is a bargain. Transforms the cars handling characteristics.

If I purchased a Gta without a diff i would have it Booked in with Autolusso immediaty. I'd even consider transporting it there without driving it. That's how little I trust the standard diff.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I think it makes a significant difference having an LSD in the car. As has been said there is the peace of mind of a strong unit as opposed to the iffy reliability record of the standard diff to be considered also.
What I love about an LSD (I have the Q2) is that with good tyres you can pretty much plant your foot and accelerate as hard as you like through corners in the knowledge that the front will simply turn tighter and not under-steer and the rear will follow.
It takes a little time to adjust to increasing the pressure on the throttle as opposed to lifting off when you think you are approaching the limit, but it's very rewarding to drive and definitely helps to counter balance the weight of the engine pulling you wide through corners.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Without doubt I would fit Q2. Having been on the brunt end of standard diff failure, which took out gearbox + casing & drive shaft. Then whilst the gearbox is off you'll fit a clutch plate because it makes sense. So 2 grand later you'll see what I mean.

The 600-700 is a bargain. Transforms the cars handling characteristics.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I bought it (Q2) used from Dan and it has been the best 450 euros I have spent on 156 GTA :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
A worthy upgrade, I even put a quaiffe in my 166 when we did the clutch. Noticable reduction in torque steer. I had a 3.0 GTV on a standard diff which seemed a lot smoother than the 166 in the standard set up.

The previous owner of my GTA went through the diff failure pain in 2010...though thankfully the car only suffered loss of drive and no further harm to the gearbox. So my GTA came with an "upgraded" differential.

I contacted the garage that did the work to find out exactly which diff they put in but the business has been sold and all old parts supply copies lost (according to the new owner). Anyway the uprated diff cost about £550 plus vat in 2010 so I'm guessing it's a Q2. Certainly drives lovely and smooth.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ive had two v6 alfas and upgraded both. In my opinion its a worthwhile upgrade which allows you to exploit more from than car than without. The added bonus is it is regarded as being stronger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts