Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, just wondering ho much difference the q2 diff makes and if i can buy it for a 1.8 t spark 156 on a 03 plate.
thank you

·
Registered
377 Posts
Do a search, there's tons of info on it. Not sure how much difference it would make to 1.8...it certainly makes a difference to my 2.4JTD. :D

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
What happens with the 8 valve JTD then cos thats only got a 5 speed?

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
There is no general rule for what it goes on ... it fits some 5 speeds, but not all, and most 6 speeds, but not all of them ...

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Makes a massive difference to the V6, really eliminating a lot of the problems caused by the weight of the fat V6 engine over the front wheels. I drove a 1.8 recently and found it much more 'chuckable' than mine in standard spec, so I can imagine the Q2 really tightening its handling, although perhaps not so profoundly as on the V6.

It's a moot point anyway though as it won't fit that gearbox... That said I believe there is a Quaife alternative that will fit the 5-speed but it's around a grand, plus fitting. Not sure if anyone on the forum has this part but I'd imagine it's probably not worth the cost (bearing in mind the Q2 is £500ish, fully fitted).

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have Q2 on my 8v jtd and also a 6 speed box.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You must have the most insane 8v around :D
No yet :)

Hopefuly tomorrow I will get another very important part for my Bella and when I get back on the 7th from Turkey it should go in the car...and then:wow:

ps: I hope to brake the 200bhp barrier

ps2: about the T.S. without modifications the Q2 will not fit

·
Registered
895 Posts
That said I believe there is a Quaife alternative that will fit the 5-speed but it's around a grand, plus fitting. Not sure if anyone on the forum has this part but I'd imagine it's probably not worth the cost (bearing in mind the Q2 is £500ish, fully fitted).
Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 TS Quaife ATB helical LSD differential - Quaife Engineering

It is about £700 to buy and you can wait and have it installed at the next clutch change to save some labour cost. Unfortunately in contrast to the V6/JTD transmissions the whole gearbox has to come off to fit it.

what about the 6 speed manual gearbox,
is there one for the 1.8 ts
There has been a 6-speed gearbox for the 166 2.0TS with nice close rations but I have been told that it won't fit an 156/147/GT because the front subframe and gearbox mountings of the 166 are very different. This leaves only the Quaife unit being the only alternative.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts