Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My youngest daughter was in the car the other day and noticed the sport/winter mode button. I was picking her up from her shift at hospital. She thought it would be funny to press it on sport mode while I was watching traffic at a t junction. But she kept her finger down until it lit up on winter mode.... I was non the wiser really. It was only the trip b average fuel reading that made me twig on. I was getting an average reading of 42.5mpg on a 20 mile trip home!
I've never ever seen figures like that in an urban drive ever!
To put in context, the trip to the hospital is usually 35.0mpg on a clear uninterrupted run at best in normal mode!
I tried it again on my trip to work and back..... 42.3 mpg winter mode and 34.4 mpg normal... I've done this now over three days making sure I mixed it up return run or going to work... Same consistency of figures... Can anyone else check this?
Figure that one out?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My youngest daughter was in the car the other day and noticed the sport/winter mode button. I was picking her up from her shift at hospital. She thought it would be funny to press it on sport mode while I was watching traffic at a t junction. But she kept her finger down until it lit up on winter mode.... I was non the wiser really. It was only the trip b average fuel reading that made me twig on. I was getting an average reading of 42.5mpg on a 20 mile trip home!
To put in context, the trip to the hospital is usually 35.0mpg on a clear uninterrupted run at best in normal mode!
I tried it again on my trip to work and back..... 42.3 mpg winter mode and 34.4 mpg normal... I've done this now over three days making sure I mixed it up return run or going to work... Same consistency of figures... Can anyone else check this?
Figure that one out?
I would be surprised if this happened on long runs out of town. Winter mode makes the gearbox less keen to change down when you prod the throttle and you set off from a standstill in 2nd gear instead of 1st. I often use winter mode in town as I find it makes for a smooth journey when just tootling around stop start traffic.

I'll maybe have a play and see if I can replicate your results, never really thought about it...but then I have quite an aggressive map (for a qtronic) and a tmc gearbox flash so it's often a bit wintermodey anyway in normal when driving on part throttle.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Tried it on mine on a 30 mile journey that is normally 35 mpg, i got 40mpg
On a 45 mile journey i normally get 40-42mpg.
I will try this out on the longer journey next week and report back
Is there a way to set this mode as always on and not have to press and hold, i forget to turn it on

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Is there a way to set this mode as always on and not have to press and hold, i forget to turn it on
Does it not remember? If you turn off in winter then it will restart in winter mode? thought it did for sport mode so figured maybe similar for winter mode

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
When you say you got 40 mpg....was that an actual measured 40 mpg or just what the display says....a 5 mpg increase seen unlikely if you are driving it in the same way. To move a certain car of a certain weight at a certain speed without any mechanical or aerodynamic or weight changes takes the same amount of fuel or there about.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Figure that one out?
This sounds similar to the DNA settings in newer Alfas.
'D' (dynamic) always returns poorer mpg.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just brimmed the fuel tank again, did the math and I'm indeed, +7.45 mpg better off over urban driving using the winter mode system on the q-tronic.
However, is it going to put any extra wear and tear on the torque converter? That's the unanswered question.
Only time will tell but for now if I want to save fuel, I've got the option. If I want to go nuts and have fun, I've got that option to... Happy days!

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Impressive...that is a massive difference percentage wise.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
can't imagine this would cause any extra wear and tear or undue stress provided you aren't gunning it off the line all the time.

It's designed to do this, pull away in second, in winter mode and it's a 'soft' connection to the engine so can't see any issues under normal driving conditions.

I did do this for a while and then forgot about it, but winter mode in town makes for smooher driving I find - less jerky at low speeds and light throttle

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would think all the time you've got the torque converter/clutches slipping inside the gearbox, its wearing them more than usual. I use the Giulietta TCT in All Weather and can give similar - never slips in the wet (unless driving like a loon) and gives a similar action to get away in slippery conditions, but I am aware while its doing this its wearing the clutches more to manage to do this. The other consideration in the Qtronic is that I would think this would heat the box up more - wearing the oil prematurely?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I would think all the time you've got the torque converter/clutches slipping inside the gearbox, its wearing them more than usual. I use the Giulietta TCT in All Weather and can give similar - never slips in the wet (unless driving like a loon) and gives a similar action to get away in slippery conditions, but I am aware while its doing this its wearing the clutches more to manage to do this. The other consideration in the Qtronic is that I would think this would heat the box up more - wearing the oil prematurely?
why would the cluthes slip? all the clutches do is engage and disengage the gears.....with gear engaged, say 2nd for pulling away in winter mode, its just the torque converter that's slipping which is the whole point of it. possibly greater temperatures/pressure as you say, but mitigated by not hooning around all the time and only pulling away on part throttle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts