Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are they like? Can you use the paddles to shift up and down when you want?

Does MPG get affected much?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I think they're a good compromise between having the convenience of an auto transmission, and manual mode. Of course you can use the paddles to shift up and down and the thing I like about it is, the manual mode rarely interferes with the shifts and will hold the revs as long as you want. I found fuel consumption is usually better in manual mode.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Don't have one but have driven one, very nice although only the later ones from.mid 2008 have the paddles and there aren't many of them about

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
As above really. I dont think MPG is affected that much, but most dont have paddles but sequential style shifting with the gear stick. I find putting it in sport mode makes a good job of the shifts so i dont bother with manual mode. Mine is a '58 so maybe the paddles were a pricey upgrade?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I didn’t know that you got them with paddles.
But the Q is a nice box although a bit slow of the line.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have one with the paddle shifts. As Phil mentioned after 2007 they became available on some Q-Tronics. I find using the paddles as a nice change to alter the driving style, however i use sports mode at the same time to extend the rev range, increase the grunt sound and harden up the steering.

Ive driven a regular Selespeed with paddle shifts and found that you can feel the difference between the two. The Q-Tronic shifts a lot more smoother (as a result of automated gears) whereas it feels more like a propper manual in the Selespeed.

You can shift the gears when you want, however if the car feels that you havent shifted in time it will automatically change gear for you.

Goodluck :thumbs:

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thing that puts me off is that it's a fully auto box isn't it? i.e. an auto box that you can change with paddles if you want

Does this not make the gear changes quite jerky like most autos?

I used to have a DSG box in my Audi A3 which was so smooth it's unreal, and i just think that a full auto box will be horrible in comparison

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
But the Q is a nice box although a bit slow of the line.
Very true, very slow off the line :eek:

The thing that puts me off is that it's a fully auto box isn't it? i.e. an auto box that you can change with paddles if you want

Does this not make the gear changes quite jerky like most autos?

I used to have a DSG box in my Audi A3 which was so smooth it's unreal, and i just think that a full auto box will be horrible in comparison
Its not that jerky. Most Bmw 335d's have the same setup apart from the latest ones. And DSG is not as reliable as the Qtronics, google it. Auto boxs with torque converters are more robust.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very true, very slow off the line :eek:

Its not that jerky. Most Bmw 335d's have the same setup apart from the latest ones. And DSG is not as reliable as the Qtronics, google it. Auto boxs with torque converters are more robust.
The DSG aren't that reliable, i know

But the smoothness of the double clutch was second to none, and i'm hesitant about a fully automatic box since driving the DSG for a year

And if they're slow off the line, puts me off even more :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Being slow off the line is a bit of a pain, but it is a heavy car anyway so even the manual wont tear away. My dad has the golf GTI DSG and yes the changes are superb, but i wouldnt say the Qtronic is lumpy. When driving normaly, you dont really feel the changes, and in sport mode when pushing on the changes arent intrusive. I think to sum up, the Qtronic cant compete with the DSG in terms of gear change times (which is why BMW are now using a similar box called DCT), but the Qtronic isnt far off and is a nice box with better reliability. Try one if you get the chance

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
It is slow of the line but when it takes of it picks up so quick.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I loved my old q-tonic, refined and rare!

Plus i need an auto really for day to day driving as my knees are shot from martial arts and football!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I found the 1st gear to be pretty useless. The trick for me for a fast getaway from the lights is to step down and swap up to 2nd almost instantly!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Even with the delay in first they still give a lot of the competition carrots.
And if it’s not faster or more economical it’s still a lot nicer to look at:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
guys try this in manual mode. Just my preference but in manual mode i start off in 2nd gear which i prefer which misses out the change needed from 1 to 2nd. I just find it much smoother and dont think the car picks up that much slower.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts