Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a 156 2.5 V6 With the Q system gearbox. Is the gearbox any good or is it best to avoid ?

Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
funny enough i was just speaking to a guy who has one today and he absolutely loves it.
He is a sellespeed engineer as well so knows a thing or too about autos.
If you like the car go for it.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I've been driving one for 3 years :p

Its actually very good for an auto box but it has only 4 gears which are widely spaced and not really greatly matched to the low torque of the 2.5V6. But I really like mine, its not as good as a manual 6 speed but its good fun. Use the manual option and just drive it like a manual but without the clutch and even the everyday auto option works very well.

Reliability is very good, check the fluid level and cooler fan and should be fine

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I've been driving one for 3 years :p

Its actually very good for an auto box but it has only 4 gears which are widely spaced and not really greatly matched to the low torque of the 2.5V6. But I really like mine, its not as good as a manual 6 speed but its good fun. Use the manual option and just drive it like a manual but without the clutch and even the everyday auto option works very well.

Reliability is very good, check the fluid level and cooler fan and should be fine
i also drive the same car with the qsystem, personally i love it. i do a lot of long ditance driving so like the auto option then when i want some funi can switch to manual :) bonus

however ive noticed a massive flatspot as soon as she hits 3rd gear, is this due to the ratios or would you say mine is suffering elsewhere?? and with a top speed of only just over 120mph im sure something certainly isnt right?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
i also drive the same car with the qsystem, personally i love it. i do a lot of long ditance driving so like the auto option then when i want some funi can switch to manual :) bonus

however ive noticed a massive flatspot as soon as she hits 3rd gear, is this due to the ratios or would you say mine is suffering elsewhere?? and with a top speed of only just over 120mph im sure something certainly isnt right?
MAF

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I saw another thread related to similar problem, someone reccomended disconnecting the MAF and if the car runs better then its a problem with the MAF

i tried this earlier and aside from the array of lights which appeared on the dash i think the car went into "safe" mode, i couldnt get above 3000rpm and also couldnt take the gearbox out of auto so im assuming the MAF is ok???

·
Registered
334 Posts
Still say MAF....
My only complaint is the slight delay in shift from 1st to 2nd in manual mode.-This may be just my car... after that it is all good.
I have learnt to shift and just as the retard for the shift starts I take the foot off and then replant and it is a smooth as silk.
Q system to me is a great option and I dont miss the busy nature of a 6 speed manual. The car has enough torque to manage fine with the four speed.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Well there are very few posts on here with problems for the Q system if that helps ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts